[Event] 2017 Cape Town Cycle Tour - Argus

Bianchisti

Living on the sea in a windy area of Cape Town I've come to know that there are only 2 weather forecasts that are valid. And windguru certainly isn't one of them.  Accuweather only includes accu to be an illusion of accuracy.

YR.no tends to be accurate about 3 days out but even this week that accuracy has dropped to 2 days. The inaccuracy tends towards predicting wind that doesn't eventuate on the day. Like today.

The other is waking up, opening the curtains and looking at the palm trees. If they aren't moving there is no wind for the next 4-6 hours. Like today. If they are moving Chappies is howling and Cape Point is not good for deep section wheels.

post-35786-0-69009100-1488523903_thumb.jpg

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok so stupid question.

I'm considering doing a bike fit tomorrow. Yes I know. Rookie mistake. But I'm struggling with knee pain on the front of my left knee. The way I figure it I really have nothing to lose. I'm not going to win or anything and what have i got to lose? I'm already in pain.

...............The other is waking up, opening the curtains and looking at the palm trees. I.................

:D I live in a ramshackle old Victorian house with sash windows and a tin roof. I don't even have to look out the window because I can lay in bed and tell by the rattling when it gets to 10 knots,  whistling reads 20 knots and if the corrugated iron starts clacking, then it is up to 30 knots and I know to put on my big boy panties before stepping over the top tube of a bicycle. :D  

Ok so stupid question.

I'm considering doing a bike fit tomorrow. Yes I know. Rookie mistake. But I'm struggling with knee pain on the front of my left knee. The way I figure it I really have nothing to lose. I'm not going to win or anything and what have i got to lose? I'm already in pain.

There is nothing to lose from a good bike fit, as long as the changes are smallish at this late stage.

Provided there isn't something seriously wrong with the knee (see a  doctor if it is severe), consider daily rubbing the knee with Arnica massage gel and stretching to ease it up. 

Remember that you should now be tapering already. Last long ride should be this weekend, but not overly hard. Then next week, just a few shorted easier rides, with a couple of short sharp efforts. If in doubt, don't hesitate to skip riding now because you will benefit more from the rest than the ride.

Ok so stupid question.

That's bad. If you change anything make sure it is just to address the issue with a micro adjustment. Making big changes now could throw off your current "fitness" as you could be putting additional stress on one muscle group and taking stress off another which is already trained to deal with it. This could spell disaster and cramps in the then over stressed muscle groups.

but hey you are already in pain... maybe a rest day or 2 is what you need.

You also need to stretch those ITBs - does wonders for gaining form... I was suffering from regular knee pains due to over use and including yoga and stretching has REALLY helped a lot.

And if the knee is really bad then tape it on the day to support it.

Remember that you should now be tapering already. 

Gonna do a longish one on Sunday. Greenpoint - Cape Point & back. I think that's about 100km. Weather looks prime. Then probably a commute home from town on Wednesday and a sloooooooow (No big ring action at all) cruise up chappies on Saturday morning.

With that injury looming I would be holding off on anything over 75% effort. Rest it and thank yourself later after having a good CTCT. Its better to enjoy the race well rested and 100% than try suffering through it and not reaching your goals and being disappointed. Nearly happened to me at Shova but luckily I had the sense to rest a bad knee to 100% while maintaining 60-70% efforts (which is really hard as I always end up going 110% - even on what was supposed to be recovery rides).

Lessons learned - discounted school fees - no knee surgery or long lasting damage.

Ok so stupid question.

i would also recommend a biokineticist for that knee.  the process is long term though, so you'll have to be patient.

I was hoping to get some more km's done this weekend but the forecast here is wind and rain and wind and rain... oh, and cold. So no riding anymore before take off. (I don't want to risk catching a cold either!) 

I've done 311km so far this year, ok, it's not a huge amount but enough to make the CTCT a pleasant ride, I hope. 

Duane_Bosch. 

If ever you have recieved bad advise, here goes.

Rule of Thumb... Medical treatment won't help much in such a short time-frame. Forget that and save on that expense for now.

Bikefit: That involves Dragma (Greek for money). Don't. Save the money.

Don't go out, just rest. that will save you ever more Dragma.

However,... on the morning of the race, you use all that saved up money and get smashed on your favourite tipple.

There are already an abundance of erratic, non-conforming, badly dressed cyclists with comical faces doing the race that One more of them won't make any difference... Seriously.

Take your camera and voice recorder with you, snap fodies and make melodramatic comments for the book you will publish post Argus.

Then you use that money for medical treatment.  

After 6 months of riding I had major knee and ass pain. I went for a bikefit. In the same week I had physio a few times. Pain cleared up almost immediately.

I say do it

Ok so stupid question.

Just drove through the section of roadworks between Kalkbay and Fishoek, they are busy preping sections for resurfacing [emoji322]

I doubt they will manage to get the whole stretch done but some of it has been scraped.

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

Ok so stupid question.

If you're going to do it, do it ASAP! And take it easier next week.

Like people say, you want to be rested and ready.

Ok so stupid question.

It's not rookie to make an important game-changing improvement

Do it, DB

Discomfort likely related to saddle height

After 6 months of riding I had major knee and ass pain. I went for a bikefit. In the same week I had physio a few times. Pain cleared up almost immediately.

I say do it

Exactly the same for me, pain free after doing the above after I had after months of pain in the top of knee.