Drunk drivers . . . . .

Bonus

This point comes as a result of the "Biker down" thread, but I'm posting here out of respect to Randall because I didn't want to sully that thread with this subject.

I don't know if the driver in Randall's case had been drinking or not (Although it certainly looks that way)

What annoys me is that the problem of drunk driving could be greatly reduced (never stopped, sadly) as quick as anything if 1) the police would stop taking bribes from drunk drivers and 2) anyone caught over the limit was thrown into jail for 24hrs - regardless of color, social status or sex.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This point comes as a result of the "Biker down" thread, but I'm posting here out of respect to Randall because I didn't want to sully that thread with this subject.

I don't know if the driver in Randall's case had been drinking or not (Although it certainly looks that way)

What annoys me is that the problem of drunk driving could be greatly reduced (never stopped, sadly) as quick as anything if 1) the police would stop taking bribes from drunk drivers and 2) anyone caught over the limit was thrown into jail for 24hrs - regardless of color, social status or sex.

I think drunk driving has been massively reduced recently (last 5/8 years). BUT it came off a flippen high base.

There is no quick solution here, it's ingrained in our culture to just somme go on the road who cares. 

Are they doing nothing, no. Could more be done, YES. 

Uber/roadtrip/goodfellas have definitely helped in higher LSM brackets.

Or if there was an element of social responsibility on the part of the person/bar/restaurant providing the alcohol.

Sure, there is no way of stopping someone boozing and then driving out. But as soon as someone is in a bar or restaurant I feel that there is an element of blame to be put on the person supplying alcohol.

As far as im concerned, if a restaurant can bar you from entering because you have slops on, then they can cut you off if you get too drunk.

Obviously they will never go to the point of taking away your car keys, but if they are aware that there is no sober driver, to limit consumption is a call they can make.

If the driver is leaving a friends house after a braai or house party, then there is EVEN MORE BLAME.

Friends dont let friends drive drunk.

We have a standing rule amongst our mates - you drink too much and you get a cab or you play rock paper scissors for the couch/spare bed. The embarrassment of being 'that guy' that had to fetch his car the next day or woke up on the couch quickly wore off when the benefit was realised. No resentment if keys are taken away etc. everyone knows its in our best interests.

I dont know the actual stats but here is my 2c on drinking and driving,

YES IT IS STILL A ISSUE THAT CAN BE GREATLY REDUCED,,,NEVER STOPPED

BUT in my group of mates and customers in general,(motor industry we got a large % of the drinking community in our trade)  its nothing like it was a couple of years ago, a few years ago most people climbed into cars slaughtered and felt nothing,now normally there is a  designated driver, uber, sleep overs. I know a couple of pub owners and restaurateurs and they agree,,yes there are still a few customers they serve who they know shouldnt be driving but still do but its no where the numbers it was years ago. Personally I think the numbers are down.Sadly down is not enough, throwing them in jail??? ja if you a hard drinker you loose 10 years over that one night and swear it will never happen again,,,I personally know too many people who have been locked up and are alter boys for a month or two and return to drinking and driving, personally I cant see it happening, then again I never thought they would get the smoking in public places done,,,,clearly I know nothing :whistling:

I dont know the actual stats but here is my 2c on drinking and driving,

YES IT IS STILL A ISSUE THAT CAN BE GREATLY REDUCED,,,NEVER STOPPED

I cant see it happening, then again I never thought they would get the smoking in public places done,,,,clearly I know nothing :whistling:

Smoking in public places is still an issue, theres no penalty for it so some places dont give a rats arse and carry on anyways.

Clientele are all smokers.

drink to much ? 2 beers are to much according to the law !

I know people that should not drink after 1 beer.

I am one of them! According to some I 'hit the rail' at 1 and a half pints of beer.....

Don't think this is something that will be completely removed from society but how the law is applied will make the difference.

I have posted before but here in Germany (and this oaks can drink) they deal very harsh with it.  Most people that go to drink make sure they use public transport or have a dedicated driver or sleep over as the consequences is just too much if you are caught.

One of my neighbours had a little accident with the barrier on the road after having too much too drink.  The car was still drivable, no other vehicles involved.  Nobody injured.  You cannot beleive the amount of trouble he loaded himself.

He got the following:

• 3000€ fine
  • Lost his licence, can reaply for a new one after one year.
  • In that year he had to be available for random alcohol tests.  He would get a call from the Police and then he had to report at the police station for a random test to see if he was drinking.  Should he be busted or not report in time then it means no more licence at all.

Used to get slaughtered and drive. Now I think it's fuckingstupid. If you add the recent propensity of the cops to be clever with breathalysers, even one drink is too much. There is such a braindead macho culture in this country that glorifies getting twatted and driving; think the Baron in Bedfordview on a Friday evening.

There are just so many road users these days that more accidents are inevitable. Add in badly deteriorating roads, unroadworthy vehicles etc and accident numbers shoot up even more. Also, another big issue is people "buying" their licenses. We've had 2 interns now who had licenses but didn't know how to start the car. So how the heck did they obtain their license in the first place I ask?? 

I have my serious doubts about the accuracy of the equipment being used at road blocks, a friend of ours was over for dinner on Friday night. She had ONE yes 1 glass of wine in the time she was there (4pm - 8:30pm) because she is on blood medication. 

She was stopped in a road block on her way home and arrested at 8:45pm after blowing 0.63 (Legal limit is 0.24).

We eventually managed to bail her out at 11am on Saturday morning. 

I know that "family" from a town near Upington think its funny how one of the members drives while drunk. Saying, he turns too early for the corners. They say they come from a small town, not an issue. Its only big cities that you will get stopped. 

Boils my blood. 

I have my serious doubts about the equipment being used at road blocks, a friend of ours was over for dinner on Friday night. She had ONE yes 1 glass of wine in the time she was there (4pm - 8:30pm) because she is on blood medication. 

She was stopped in a road block on her way home and arrested at 8:45pm after blowing 0.63 (Legal limit is 0.24).

We eventually managed to bail her out at 11am on Saturday morning. 

How much does she weigh?

1 drink to someone who weighs 50kg = 2 drinks to someone who weighs 100kg, 

(excluding Personal tolerance levels)

Archived