A question for sponsors.

Liezel Panda

For one thing is sure. Getting a sponsorship in South Africa is hard.
I've had a few people asking me why I'm not sponsored yet. My results in road races has mostly been in the top 4 under 23, and the results usually show my name up with sponsored riders. My simple answer is usually that I have no idea where to start.

I've been doing countless research on what sponsors are looking for, but except for results, being a good sportsman/woman and media coverage, I have no idea what else.

So I would like to pose a question to sponsors: What are you looking for in sponsoring an athlete and where does one begin.

Kind regards,
P.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think getting in touch with people such as USN, Nike etc might be a start. Also chat to some of the team managers and get their input.

Starting small will hopefully get things moving along.

Best of luck.

You need to sell yourself. What I mean by that is, you need to make sure that the people you'll approach will understand the value that you will offer them in their sponsorship. You often a person looking for a sponsor believes they deserve it based on results but actually has little to offer someone spending actual money. Look at Peter Sagan. He could lose most races, but the camera would still be on him every time he got on a bike. That's what gets him the salary he gets.

Also,just start talking to people. The worst they can say is NO. But someone might just say yes. Also, you might want to start small. Ask someone to Sponsor one race entry, or some kit, and see whether that value you propose to offer is realistic.

It's not easy, but it's not easy for a reason. Good luck man. I wish I had more advice, but you need to make sure people know your name, and that someone with money wants to be associated with that name. Your problem in SA and cycling in general is, very poor coverage (I couldn't tell you who won the last Road race contested in SA), and a lack of fuss over anyone finishing anywhere other than 1st. Add to that the lack of public participation, the lack of broadcast coverage, and sponsors are hesitant to get into cycling when they could pay for a billboard on a rugby field and get thousands of people staring at it for hours. Its hard to justify. But you gotta start making your name a brand. You've missed that opportunity twice in this post, in your avatar, and not mentioning your name in the post at all. Not a good start.

But again, good luck. Find some cycling CEO's and work the passion angle. You may have to do some ride along with an unfit CEO to buddy up. Its gonna take some work man. But hope you find the formula.

Can't agree more with DragoRosso. 

For example, why would someone looking for a sponsorship not even use his own name in a post about this request.

Dude, you have to market yourself at every opportunity. That includes the habit of using your name everywhere

Get a sports agent.If you are any good he will get you sponsors in no time.Marketing yourself and telling people how good you are can sumtimes come off as windgat.

For one thing is sure. Getting a sponsorship in South Africa is hard.

I've had a few people asking me why I'm not sponsored yet. My results in road races has mostly been in the top 4 under 23, and the results usually show my name up with sponsored riders. My simple answer is usually that I have no idea where to start.

I've been doing countless research on what sponsors are looking for, but except for results, being a good sportsman/woman and media coverage, I have no idea what else.

So I would like to pose a question to sponsors: What are you looking for in sponsoring an athlete and where does one begin.

Kind regards,

P.

To be really honest, in SA results do not matter that much, most of the money in SA cycling comes from brands wanting a brand ambassador, someone with amazing online presence and is at the races. 

I cannot remember who won the Argus 3 years ago, but I know that in the elite group, team Giant were there, so were the Deli guys, CWC and LBL. Did they win, No, but they were all over everyone's news feed, TV feed, articles etc. 

Work on what rand value return on investment you can give a sponsor and it will make it worth while for them, this can be measured in advertising value equivalent (What they would have had to pay to get the same exposure.

Here is an example, you can show your possible sponsor that you created 89000 impressions, 1242 profile visits, 121 mentions for the month, therefore if they were to spend X with you they would be able to get Y exposure. 

post-11806-0-46238200-1472075835_thumb.jpg

Even for a very amateur team with a sponsor here and there creating value is sometimes harder than the training itself.

If you really want to see someone that does it much better than us, check out Raymond Cox on instagram/twitter/facebook he is currently racing in Maurtius for CWC. I know this due to his instagram, facebook and twitter of the awesome tour there!!  

Or click on any of the links in the footer :P vvvv

Edited by Pure Savage

Get a sports agent.If you are any good he will get you sponsors in no time.Marketing yourself and telling people how good you are can sumtimes come off as windgat.

Not so easy finding an agent who works specifically with cyclists. Was looking for one a few months back and all the search results online seem to point to rugby or cricket....

Try some of the bigger bike shops as well. Even if you get kit and subsidized spares and services it can help. 

Not so easy finding an agent who works specifically with cyclists. Was looking for one a few months back and all the search results online seem to point to rugby or cricket....

My wife is getting into this athlete management game for cyclists, because of the facts you have stated above...

BUT just because you have a manager DOESN'T mean the sponsors will come rolling in either, she is currently looking for deals (monetary) for a high  profile cyclist (or two) who has the ability to race at world cup and world champs level, and has the results to back that up. Most companies/individuals have come back with product and the like which is fantastic I won't lie, but that doesn't pay for a plane ticket to get to the events overseas, or the time spent securing the sponsor.

And here is the next problem, a locally based company wants exposure locally, not to pay for you to go and race overseas where their business has no presence - so you can see the catch 22...

My wife is getting into this athlete management game for cyclists, because of the facts you have stated above...

BUT just because you have a manager DOESN'T mean the sponsors will come rolling in either, she is currently looking for deals (monetary) for a high  profile cyclist (or two) who has the ability to race at world cup and world champs level, and has the results to back that up. Most companies/individuals have come back with product and the like which is fantastic I won't lie, but that doesn't pay for a plane ticket to get to the events overseas, or the time spent securing the sponsor.

And here is the next problem, a locally based company wants exposure locally, not to pay for you to go and race overseas where their business has no presence - so you can see the catch 22...

I know EXACTLY what you are talking about. Will send you a PM  :thumbup:

Here is my perspective having raced sponsored for two and a half years

first make sure this is what you going to be doing for at least 5 years in the future

second be prepared to stop going out as much and seeing family and friends much less, I'm serious

third everyone looks at the bike,kit and other goodies you get not behind the scenes where 70% of the stuff really takes place and this is where is gets sucky trust me politics ,pressure and organizing stuff gets hard and the riders are actively involved in this.

This would have been my third year and it was not fun anymore , first year was but from there it got very corporate and felt more like a job I did not want rather than doing something I love.

Ridding for myself now and I am just enjoying it so much more....

You need to sell yourself. What I mean by that is, you need to make sure that the people you'll approach will understand the value that you will offer them in their sponsorship. You often a person looking for a sponsor believes they deserve it based on results but actually has little to offer someone spending actual money. Look at Peter Sagan. He could lose most races, but the camera would still be on him every time he got on a bike. That's what gets him the salary he gets.

Also,just start talking to people. The worst they can say is NO. But someone might just say yes. Also, you might want to start small. Ask someone to Sponsor one race entry, or some kit, and see whether that value you propose to offer is realistic.

It's not easy, but it's not easy for a reason. Good luck man. I wish I had more advice, but you need to make sure people know your name, and that someone with money wants to be associated with that name. Your problem in SA and cycling in general is, very poor coverage (I couldn't tell you who won the last Road race contested in SA), and a lack of fuss over anyone finishing anywhere other than 1st. Add to that the lack of public participation, the lack of broadcast coverage, and sponsors are hesitant to get into cycling when they could pay for a billboard on a rugby field and get thousands of people staring at it for hours. Its hard to justify. But you gotta start making your name a brand. You've missed that opportunity twice in this post, in your avatar, and not mentioning your name in the post at all. Not a good start.

But again, good luck. Find some cycling CEO's and work the passion angle. You may have to do some ride along with an unfit CEO to buddy up. Its gonna take some work man. But hope you find the formula.

Completely agree. Speaking from a marketing background, you have got to look at it differently. How do you add value to the brand and how are they gonna sell more product because of it? Winning races is only a small part of that. Your name and who follows you is everything.

Get on to social media. Follow other great people, get them to follow you, build up an audience. Be active.

It also depends on what the sponsors motives are.

I sponsor a junior. Kit, Gear, helmets , Race entries, Flights for away races, Coaching Costs....

Now, my business would more than likely NEVER get business based on sponsoring this kid, but we as a business believe in helping this kid out as he has a great future. Thats our ethos.

It is this view on life that we hope people pick up, and see us as partners in business ventures and not merely as suppliers. Selfless giving often has a greater return than can be measured.

My advice is get hold of some seasoned Pro riders. The likes of Waylon, Darren Lill, Andrew Hill etc, they have been around the block and they will be more than willing to depart some info to you about how to go about it, what the challenges re and how to deal with them.

As with every type of sale, you need to understand who you are pitching too and what it is that they want. There is no sense in selling yourself to a company like USN in the same way you would to somebody say in the Financial Services industries, they have different brand drives....

Edited by Patchelicious

To be really honest, in SA results do not matter that much, most of the money in SA cycling comes from brands wanting a brand ambassador, someone with amazing online presence and is at the races. 

I cannot remember who won the Argus 3 years ago, but I know that in the elite group, team Giant were there, so were the Deli guys, CWC and LBL. Did they win, No, but they were all over everyone's news feed, TV feed, articles etc. 

Work on what rand value return on investment you can give a sponsor and it will make it worth while for them, this can be measured in advertising value equivalent (What they would have had to pay to get the same exposure.

Here is an example, you can show your possible sponsor that you created 89000 impressions, 1242 profile visits, 121 mentions for the month, therefore if they were to spend X with you they would be able to get Y exposure. 

attachicon.gifTwitter analytic.JPG

Even for a very amateur team with a sponsor here and there creating value is sometimes harder than the training itself.

If you really want to see someone that does it much better than us, check out Raymond Cox on instagram/twitter/facebook he is currently racing in Maurtius for CWC. I know this due to his instagram, facebook and twitter of the awesome tour there!!  

Or click on any of the links in the footer :P vvvv

Just a pity he isn't in their kit. The one tweet I saw said he was on loan to clover. But we all know who he rides for. AND what socks he wears :clap: