Riding at Suikerbosrand?

Matuka

The management wants the cyclists out so now we are only strengthening there case

If they want cyclists out then they only need to have a 'No cycling' sign at the front door. Like they do with motorcyclists and runners.

In all the time i have been there i have seen more cyclists than hikers.

• Replies 659
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Where do you get that intel from?

That would be a very sad day if that is the case.

Spoke to some of the people that work there, every one had different opinions but every time it was made clear to me that management don't want us/cyclists there and that they are working on plans to stop us from riding there.

Spoke to some of the people that work there, every one had different opinions but every time it was made clear to me that management don't want us/cyclists there and that they are working on plans to stop us from riding there.

did they say why?

If they want cyclists out then they only need to have a 'No cycling' sign at the front door. Like they do with motorcyclists and runners.

In all the time i have been there i have seen more cyclists than hikers.

They did it about 3 or 4 years ago but luckily a group of Hubbers managed to persuade them to let us in again.

did they say why?

People cycling the wrong way, littering, speeding, chasing the animals, accidents, blocking the cars and even people being rude to the wardens was some of the reasons given to me 

They did it about 3 or 4 years ago but luckily a group of Hubbers managed to persuade them to let us in again.

Surely their daily register will confirm that the bulk of the cash comes from cyclists and the rest from the odd group of hikers.

I must say in general the staff i dealt with did not exhude a great deal of warmth but i put that down to lack of job satisfaction.

However Gerald mentioned that SBR representatives sought out the opinion of their club to help address challenges. Hardly the actions of an organisation that doesnt care?

They actually contacted a running club too... and not only cyclists, to get some input.

So clearly runners and cyclists are important to them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There was an incident about 2 months ago where I was meeting a riding friend in the parking area at SBR. Unfortunately he was driving like a total "D" at high speed in he's car, in the reserve from the gate to the parking. A totally irresponsible move! As he parked, a ranger came storming after him by car to tell him he's fortune. Truthfully, it would have been fitting to throw him out of the reserve!

After a few minutes of mouth foaming abuse at my riding buddy from the ranger, he ended with "You are the reason why cyclists will be thrown out of the reserve..."

I would agree that cyclists are seen as a problem in the reserve. I would expect the issue is the relatively high speeds the cyclist ride their bikes, combined with animals, hikers and vehicles in the park. Not a friendly mix... There have been incidences of cyclist hitting animals and cyclist falling, possibly needing emergency services. All this points to cyclist not fitting into the reserve design and structure.

As much as I enjoy the speed and thrill at SBR, the only workable solution is to slow the cyclist down to a pace where less harm is caused to themselves and animals or hikers in the park. It is only a matter of time until a hiker is hit by a cyclist at speed causing injury to both. At that point, I believe it will be difficult for authorities to justify cycling in the park...That would be a really sad day!

Edited by Grey Hubs

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys

Are we still able to ride at Suikerbosrand? What time do they open and what does it cost?

Hi Guys

Are we still able to ride at Suikerbosrand? What time do they open and what does it cost?

Open 7am. R25 per rider (I never park there so not sure the cost of a car)

And yes you can ride there.

Open 7am. R25 per rider (I never park there so not sure the cost of a car)

And yes you can ride there.

Thank you for the info

• 1 month later...

I'll be doing a ride from the circus this Saturday, will be around 90Km.

Planning on doing the small lap twice maybe 3 times. Going after the uphills so won't be a fast ride. Aiming for around 2k elevation gain.

If anybody is keen to join let me know.

Edit: route I have in mind is 103.5 Km 1946m el gain

Edited by Jurgens Smit

• 1 month later...

Any groups going here regularly? Would like to join up and ride with if possible. Looking for an A/B batch group or any other will also do. I am not affiliated with a club so going solo really sucks and not as safe.

• 2 weeks later...

Any groups going here regularly? Would like to join up and ride with if possible. Looking for an A/B batch group or any other will also do. I am not affiliated with a club so going solo really sucks and not as safe.

I also go there time and again, you can join if you keen, I also ride solo