Giba Gorge Attack

Wolf Lyle

So yesterday on my way home from a nice Sunday ride at giba I came across this in Stockville Road : post-62272-0-95568400-1472451306_thumb.jpg

Apparently a chap was Cycling along Stockville road when 3 guys tried to rob him. He defended himself with a pocket knife of some sort. Fortunately for him in this situation he must have known how to protect himself.

http://policepicsandclips.com/2016/08/28/958/

"Earlier this morning members from Durban Search and Rescue were called out to Giba gorge to conduct and Rescue and a BodyRecovery with Netcare911 Rescue and the SAPS AIRWING.

Three African male suspects attempted to Rob a complainant at the Giba gorge business park. The complainant defended himself with an edged weapon. Two of the suspects were injured and all three suspects fled.

The complainant gave chase and while in pursuit of the suspects came across the deceased susppect who had tried to rob him. He then came across the 2nd suspect further away in critical condition.

SAPS and Netcare911 Rescue were called to the scene where upon the Airwing was activated to Casevac the critical patient out of the Gorge to the awaiting ambulance on the road. The deceased suspect was recovered and flown to the roadway.

The injured suspect is in surgery at RK Khan presently."

Guys be careful on that road into giba, if any one has more info on this please share .

Edited by Wolf Lyle

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know someone will say that I shouldn't condone violence or that the thieves were "only trying to feed their starving families" etc etc - but I'm actually happy to hear that the guy on the bike came out of this ok as opposed to the usual outcome of these sorts of incidents.

Funny this, a mate and I were just talking about how safe Giba was a few days ago and when last we heard of any incidents happening at the park.

Would like to know where about this happened as i suspect it was on the road to Giba and not inside the actual the park. We ride Giba every weekend and have done for almost 10 years now, lets hope the community sorts this problem out.

Funny this, a mate and I were just talking about how safe Giba was a few days ago and when last we heard of any incidents happening at the park.

Would like to know where about this happened as i suspect it was on the road to Giba and not inside the actual the park. We ride Giba every weekend and have done for almost 10 years now, lets hope the community sorts this problem out.

Yes it was on Stockville Road leading into giba. At the to near the pedestrian bridge that goes over the N3.

Im glad for once the cyclist came out on top of this situation. (altho im sure this incident will be hard to live with) . I hope the locals think twice about pulling this again and don't become more violent..

Yes it was on Stockville Road leading into giba. At the to near the pedestrian bridge that goes over the N3.

Im glad for once the cyclist came out on top of this situation. (altho im sure this incident will be hard to live with) . I hope the locals think twice about pulling this again and don't become more violent..

Yeah I though as much, thanks for the clarity.

That community are very tight knit and do a lot to sort out the bad element within. A lot of the Giba staff live there and Giba provides a lot for them so they do their part to help prevent crime in the area.

First bad news I have heard for about a year coming from Giba.

Heard about this yesterday. Was happy to hear that the cyclist came out on top this time and at the same time thought to myself that these pieces of human excrement could now potentially up their game to make sure that they win next time... 

The victim obviously was on top of his game taking down two of the attackers and apparently followed them into the surrounding bush to find the one deceased and the second one in a critical condition with the third having gotten away.

Giba have on more than one occasion though asked people to not ride in an out of the park using that road due to the risks involved.

Inside the park boundaries however is pretty safe.

Edit: I think I'll be riding with my pocket knife from now on though....

Edited by Grebel

Sad situation we find ourselves in this country, where drastic measures need to be taken to defend ourselves and our possessions! 'Flight or Fight' reactions kick in these situations and the attacked cyclist reacted on instinct with tragic results for his attackers!

Well done to him in not giving in to these thugs! I hope he recovers from the trauma of the unfortunate incident and is able to give us a detailed account one day!

Guys have been warned before not to ride their bikes on the road because of this,but really it's crazy that you can't just ride on any road anymore and be safe. Those 2 bastards did not think that they were going to get up that morning and rob someone and get owned by on guy,they got what they deserved. Enough is enough stand up and fight for what is yours people.

If someone is going to threaten your life, then you are faced with a difficult choice in the heat of the moment! Glad to hear the cyclist was capable enough to get through the attack and take some of the bad element down whilst at it! And make no mistake this was not a simple theft effort, for all those bleeding heart liberal types who are thinking that the perps only wanted to steal the bike and whatever personal belongings the cyclist had on him, so why should they have paid with their lives! They were prepared to attack him in order to get these!