Giba Gorge Attack

Wolf Lyle

A tweet from a doc at the hospital says that the one was disemboweled - guy must have gone full beserk.

If this happened more often, there would be a whole lot less redistribution of goods going on. 

You'd be assuming the disembowlee made it to hospital then?

Was referring to the bolded text. Not assuming who made it to the hospital and who not.

Edited by Bateleur1

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

not sure if this was posted as yet. found this on a cycling website anyway....

Cyclist in South Africa stabs and kills men he says tried to steal his bike
by Simon MacMichael August 30 2016

Potential murder charges following incident near popular mountain bike park on Sunday
http://road.cc/sites/default/files/styles/main_width/public/images/News/Police%20tape%20%28CC%20licensed%20by%20freefotouk%20on%20Flickr%29.jpg?itok=jL8mwVMx

Police tape (CC licensed by freefotouk on Flickr)

A cyclist in South Africa may face murder charges after stabbing and killing two men he says tried to steal his bike as he headed to a popular mountain bike park.

The incident, last Sunday 28 August, took place near the Giba Gorge Mountain Bike Park, with the bike rider reporting what had happened to police, telling them he had been ambushed by the men, reports Highwaymail.co.za(link is external).

Jethro Nyandeni, manager of the facility which is popular with local mountain bikers and BMX riders, said: “I was told that one of our riders was on his way to the park when he was attacked by two men at the bridge just a few kilometres from Giba Gorge.

“The cyclist took out a knife and stabbed the two men. One died on the scene and from what I have gathered, the second man has died at the hospital,” he added.

Travis Goveia of the Giba Cycling Club said its members were advised to take a different route to the mountain bike park than the one the fatal incident took place on.

“This is not the first time something like this has happened on that road,” he told IOL.co.za(link is external).

“What did surprise, though, was how it went down and somebody dying.”

Chris Botha of the Netcare 911 emergency service said: “Netcare 911 paramedics, their rescue unit and the Police Search and Rescue arrived at the scene and had to hike down a steep slope for about five hundred metres before they got to the first man who had died on scene.

“The team hiked another 500m meters along a path and found another man lying near a river also with a stab wound. The man was stabilised at the scene, placed on a ventilator and airlifted to the ambulance.

“He was then taken to a hospital in Chatsworth under the care of a Netcare 911 emergency care practitioner.”

The man, who was also placed under police guard, died from his injuries there on Monday, it was subsequently confirmed.

Police are investigating the incident as a potential case of murder.

Lone cyclists in South Africa are regularly targeted by thieves, and national cycling campaign group the Pedal Power Association regularly provides safety advice.

In 2014, following another incident in Kwazulu-Natal, the organisation’s chairman, Steven Hayward, said(link is external): “A typical assault on a cyclist is either before sunrise and after sunset or when cyclists are isolated and very few other people are in the immediate area.

“Thugs will generally also choose a spot that provides limited escape options, where they can block your way and push your off your cycle.”

He added: “Cycling, particularly at speed, can feel less exposed but unfortunately it is very easy for criminals to push you off your bike or grab you as to try to ride past or away.”

Edited by Madone69

uuhhmmmm air lifted to the ambulance?????   maybe they could have taken him directly to the hospital?

but thats just me

It is standard operating procedures.

Docket will be sent to the Courts to decide if they will prosecute or not, based on the evidence submitted by the Investigating Officer.

If it was self defence, "Nolle Prosecui" (the dismissal or termination of legal proceedings by the Attorney General...)

If it was more than that, his defence will be tested in court.

Edited by Wannabe

It has been posted.

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/162528-giba-gorge-attack/

I would think it is normal to lay charges in the case of a violent death, where the case goes from here depends on the post mortems and the various statements that are taken.

I would think it would be easy to prove in court that you feared for your life if you were being mugged for your expensive bike. Plenty of evidence in this regard.

It has been posted.

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/162528-giba-gorge-attack/

I would think it is normal to lay charges in the case of a violent death, where the case goes from here depends on the post mortems and the various statements that are taken.

I would think it would be easy to prove in court that you feared for your life if you were being mugged for your expensive bike. Plenty of evidence in this regard.

yes plus its SA so many examples of violent attacks in different parts of the country that contributes to people having to carry weapons to defend themselves. These examples are the proof that people don't just take your bike they violently assault and even kill people in these attacks

Any lawyers here? I really would like to hear a professional opinion.

My first impression is that the cyclist is in big trouble. 

The argument being that he could have run away at any time.

In another thread here about firearms I think to recall that somebody stated if the crime has been committed and the perps run away, you can't shoot them because it's not self defense anymore but some form of revenge? 

In another thread here about firearms I think to recall that somebody stated if the crime has been committed and the perps run away, you can't shoot them because it's not self defense anymore but some form of revenge? 

I am no lawyer.  But I am assuming from what I have read that the stab wounds in both victims were from the front.  Very difficult to stab someone in the chest when he is running away from you.  If they had a challange to proof murder in the Oscar Pistorius trial, I will be very surprised if they would be able to proof it here.

When its three against one the odds are pretty stacked against you, surely that would count when it comes to self preservation? With 2 down and only one remaining, with no witnesses, I would have thought that would count in his favour as well.

Wow!! I'm still amazed at this story. If I can cut biltong with my knife without hurting myself I consider that a success.

I can't imagine this guy being convicted of murder. It takes a lot for that to happen. This could just be procedure. I had a pedestrian run into the side of my car and the prosecutor sent two cops out with a view to prosecuting me. Once they saw the damage and heard my story they just dropped it. I can see shooting someone who is running away as getting yourself not trouble but you are hardly going to disembowel two guys who are running away.

I would not like to be the cyclist that sorted those scum bags out .

He has a lot of stress about to come his way .

I have already formed my own opinion as to what probably happened , but if there is a court case , hopefully we will hear the full story .

We need to all be vigilant and carefull if riding on our own .

Sucks that we now have cyclists riding with knives and guns for protection and will not get into the merits and possible outcomes etc of this case.

My concern is will this deter other future potential muggers or next time they plan on mugging a cyclist they start with violent intent knowing the outcome of this incident. Does this escalate the potential violence involved in bike muggings. There was a case in the Cape earlier this year where they stabbed first and stole the bike 2nd. Either way we the cyclist loose out.    

Hope the case ends well for the cyclist.

I am still amazed at the incredible response from the police and the emergency services. Multiple police vehicles responded, I assume with a cop or 2 per vehicle. At least 1 ambulance, with at least 2 personnel, one a trained paramedic. Then a helicopter, pilot, co pilot and helper. Airlifted one guy and and and......

I simply cannot make sense of this compared to the response I see when someone honest gets robbed at gunpoint, car jacked or murdered in their own home. Often it looks like the response is as slow and as feeble as possible.

Was it a different "emergency service" that couldn't get an ambulance to transport Madiba when he was dying? Are the cops different from the ones who only took a statement from the family of a murdered woman a week afterwards when the bad press forced them?

Sucks that we now have cyclists riding with knives and guns for protection and will not get into the merits and possible outcomes etc of this case.

My concern is will this deter other future potential muggers or next time they plan on mugging a cyclist they start with violent intent knowing the outcome of this incident. Does this escalate the potential violence involved in bike muggings. There was a case in the Cape earlier this year where they stabbed first and stole the bike 2nd. Either way we the cyclist loose out.    

Hope the case ends well for the cyclist.

The muggers definitely try to injure you in a surprise attack to minimise risk to themselves. Stab to the arm, or to the head where you will bleed a lot.

The response I would like to see is that we can fit tracking devices to all our stuff, do not resist. Then once we are safe, send someone who is experienced in these matters to the location based on the tracking device.