[Event] The Bestmed Satellite Classic

Events Bot

I entered but did not race due to some break in event at our home Thursday morning 02:00. That said, I am struggling to find value in that entry fee... How was the organization and traffic management during the event this year?

Not great in my opinion, no road closure, had a few impatient motorists hoot at us. It was almost like a club ride where we were forced to ride single file in places.

An old gripe is the fetching of the >£^%€ race numbers; had to fetch it Friday morning; I work in JHB CBD at the moment so a huge inconvenience. At least the traffic in and out of the venue was painless this year.

Lastly; kudos to the water table at the top of hekpoort, koeksisters hit the spot!

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not great in my opinion, no road closure, had a few impatient motorists hoot at us. It was almost like a club ride where we were forced to ride single file in places.

An old gripe is the fetching of the >£^%€ race numbers; had to fetch it Friday morning; I work in JHB CBD at the moment so a huge inconvenience. At least the traffic in and out of the venue was painless this year.

Lastly; kudos to the water table at the top of hekpoort, koeksisters hit the spot!

I thought the organisation was good. No conplaints.

So pretty good day out, but I have to wonder; where the heck was everybody? I know there were some thunderstorms last night which may have scared

some people off, but this morning was clear. Apart from the strong headwind in some places it was actually a nice, cool day for a ride.

I see on racetec only 717 people finished, down from 1068 last year!

Staying away. ASG told us not to come if we don't like what they do...

Not surprised with the drop in numbers, people are irritated with the Value vs Cost proposition from ASG EVENTS.

Cyclists are taking their ever decreasing disposable income elsewhere.

Like where? I think R340 is a reasonable amount. (Iirc Early Bird entries got a R100 discount voucher)

I enjoyed it. Org was good as were the marshal and wp's. All and all a great day out :)

Enjoyed the race, almost stayed at home, but took a chance... the weather prediction was rain all day in the area, but never trust the weatherman.. VB had a break from the start and we never saw them again.. after that it was pretty chilled most of the way.. hekpoort hurt as usual.. well run event!

Like where? I think R340 is a reasonable amount. (Iirc Early Bird entries got a R100 discount voucher)

I enjoyed it. Org was good as were the marshal and wp's. All and all a great day out :)

Personally I have been taking my money to one of the smaller races.

BSSS hold a road race once a month.

15min from my house

Around R200 entry fee depending on the race distance.

Racetec timing, which results in proper seeding for big events like 947 and Shova

No road closure, but the roads are fairly quiet.

Bazaar feeling at the event venue with all the associated carbs for sale :)

Only thing outstanding is a proper barista at the venue. ;)

Heard someone say that a taxi overtook a truck into their bunch. I did not overhear all of the discussion, but i got the feeling there was some sort of bike/car impact or damage. I also assumed she was talking about the race and not some other ride. Not the safest race in my opinion especially on those roads, but on the whole an enjoyable ride and well organised for what it is.

• 11 months later...

Anybody riding the Satellite Classic this year?

Doing it despite being so overpriced due to the lack of road races on saturdays.

Nope.  Raced it for a couple of years, but they keep moving the venue further and further away.  Bekker School was the last straw for me.  And despite me be ridden off at Hekpoort every year, it was "special" enough for me to return to the race.  Now with Hekpoort less of a feature in the finale, I see no reason to ride

Pity....

Nope.  Raced it for a couple of years, but they keep moving the venue further and further away.  Bekker School was the last straw for me.  And despite me be ridden off at Hekpoort every year, it was "special" enough for me to return to the race.  Now with Hekpoort less of a feature in the finale, I see no reason to ride

Pity....

Agree. Bekker School was the last straw for me too. 

And having Hekpoort inside the first 20km completely ruins the race. 

The 2.4km gravel road/"we are working on the road and will post an ambulance nearby" is a bit worrisome at this stage of the game.

The 2.4km gravel road/"we are working on the road and will post an ambulance nearby" is a bit worrisome at this stage of the game.

You want to use my Topstone? ;)