GoPro announces Karma drone, Hero5 lineup and more

News bot

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sheesh, that is impressive. It almost makes it look to smooth and not bumpy at all. Which is kinda sad really as it takes away from the "reality" of the ride - but on the other hand makes it look awesome.

You have the option to switch stabilization off. Also, as far as I know and what I can see, the stabilization option is not available when shooting in 4k. This mtb video was shot in 1080p 60 fps in linear view.

Sheesh, that is impressive. It almost makes it look to smooth and not bumpy at all. Which is kinda sad really as it takes away from the "reality" of the ride - but on the other hand makes it look awesome.

The reality of the ride means that the video will be unwatchable, if you want to convey the scenery, and the layout of a track, this is useful.

Nothing worse than the motion sickness inducing video of a handlebar mounted camera on a rough track.

But as with everything, the pricetag is way above my ability

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Quik crit of the new GoPro 5:

Voice control: mehh....mounted on bars, and more than 5 kph....fail....mounted on helmet ....100% 

Recording indicators: silly, almost invisible, nothing on top or underneath...   will have to trim start and finish of a lot of clips of checking to see if its on!

Stabilisation:  :thumbup:  

Audio: excellent :thumbup:

Battery: life: mmmmm same old, same old.., no spares available yet, new external charger also required (Wasabi already out with spares and charger)

Cable: USB C...meh!  :mellow:

Form factor: Great, slighter higher that GP4 so a few mods required for gimbal (Zhiyun tech Rider M)

Waterproof: no housing required up to 10m... :thumbup:  

Lens protection:  :thumbup:  because you can replace front glass,  no spare front glass out yet

Screen: works with glove :thumbup: ​ , intuitive...

Video specs: same...

FOV: Linear :thumbup:

RAW and Wide Dynamic Range pics  :thumbup:

GPS: available but pointless (switched off to save battery)...holding out that they expand its use via firmware updates

PROTUNE: more options available especially to assist low light.

So biggest plusses are waterproof, stabilisation and linear FOV....voice control only if camera is close by...

If GPS matures, it'll be cool too but they will need to overhaul GoPro Studio to be like VIRB software.

Lekka!!!

Quik crit of the new GoPro 5:

Voice control: mehh....mounted on bars, and more than 5 kph....fail....mounted on helmet ....100% 

Recording indicators: silly, almost invisible, nothing on top or underneath...   will have to trim start and finish of a lot of clips of checking to see if its on!

Stabilisation:  :thumbup:  

Audio: excellent :thumbup:

Battery: life: mmmmm same old, same old.., no spares available yet, new external charger also required (Wasabi already out with spares and charger)

Cable: USB C...meh!  :mellow:

Form factor: Great, slighter higher that GP4 so a few mods required for gimbal (Zhiyun tech Rider M)

Waterproof: no housing required up to 10m... :thumbup:  

Lens protection:  :thumbup:  because you can replace front glass,  no spare front glass out yet

Screen: works with glove :thumbup: ​ , intuitive...

Video specs: same...

FOV: Linear :thumbup:

RAW and Wide Dynamic Range pics  :thumbup:

GPS: available but pointless (switched off to save battery)...holding out that they expand its use via firmware updates

PROTUNE: more options available especially to assist low light.

So biggest plusses are waterproof, stabilisation and linear FOV....voice control only if camera is close by...

If GPS matures, it'll be cool too but they will need to overhaul GoPro Studio to be like VIRB software.

Lekka!!!

May have to buy one soon , destroyed my hero 3+ yesterday in for repairs so now I wait .....the price tag is just brutal

May have to buy one soon , destroyed my hero 3+ yesterday in for repairs so now I wait .....the price tag is just brutal

Cheaper that Hero 4 Black!

Look up "the ginger runner" on YouTube does a great not the ordinary review on the hero 5. As in from the perspective of someone using it to film while they run etc... Very informative

Hey guys. I'm still fresh when it comes to Gopro cameras. Can anyone post a link or explain what the field of veiw does and the different camera settings like when do you use 2.7k etc and why do you change fps. Basically what settings do I use in what situations?

Ps. I have googled but I might be asking the wrong questions as it is not helping much.

Edited by Pieter1

Hey guys. I'm still fresh when it comes to Gopro cameras. Can anyone post a link or explain what the field of veiw does and the different camera settings like when do you use 2.7k etc and why do you change fps. Basically what settings do I use in what situations?

Ps. I have googled but I might be asking the wrong questions as it is not helping much.

Pieter1, Abe has been with GoPro for a while, he knows his stuff...here for the 5 and check his site for the 4 as well...

http://abekislevitz.com/gopro-hero5-black/

Also DC Rainmaker does in-depth reviews....

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2016/10/gopro-hero5-black-review.html

Field of view - Gopro's use a very wide angle lens, rather distorted fish eye type perspective if the subject is close up, linear mode removes the perspective distortion, not sure how exactly but it it looks much better, for close up stuff like interviewing someone or showing a closeup of something etc.

The higher the quality the better the video image but the faster the memory card gets filled up and image stabilisation can't be used at 4k. Hi Fps means smoother footage at normal playback rate and the ability to make super slow mo videos from the footage.

For most uses 60fps at 1080 is plenty, if you want super slowed down then do 120fps or of you have a special need for high res footage them go higher quality 4k etc but for most situations that's probably a waste of space(on the Gopro itself and clogging up your computer hdd space, 4k files are enormous).

Edited by Skylark

That is one thing I don't understand. 4K is impressive, however, for the normal guy on the street it is useless. Even to edit 4k footage you need a beefy PC and if you don't have good software you loose quality anyway. (in my experience)

Field of view - Gopro's use a very wide angle lens, rather distorted fish eye type perspective if the subject is close up, linear mode removes the perspective distortion, not sure how exactly but it it looks much better, for close up stuff like interviewing someone or showing a closeup of something etc.

The higher the quality the better the video image but the faster the memory card gets filled up and image stabilisation can't be used at 4k. Hi Fps means smoother footage at normal playback rate and the ability to make super slow mo videos from the footage.

For most uses 60fps at 1080 is plenty, if you want super slowed down then do 120fps or of you have a special need for high res footage them go higher quality 4k etc but for most situations that's probably a waste of space(on the Gopro itself and clogging up your computer hdd space, 4k files are enormous).

Spot on...on the linear FOV, GoPro crops the frames and you lose about 10% of the borders but it really does give a better image than going through barrel distortion via post editing.

The 2.7K res is handy cause you can down res to 1080 in post and get a better vid. There are lots of tricks and so many opinions on getting the best video. Bear in mind that a lot of quality is lost to YouTube processing so you need to go in as high as possible without generating huge files. Handbrake is a good program for compressing vids without losing quality for uploading to Youtube. 

But yeah the go-to settings are usually 1080@120, I have Low Light disabled as it does drop frame rate in poorer light conditions and if you want to slow footage down, that creates artifacts.

Enjoy experimenting!

Edited by capediver