Amateur 3D Printing

Schmorglebot

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Hairy said:

How long till it becomes standard to have a 3D printer in every household .... not too long I don't think.

i look at most of these and wonder if none of these people have discovered cable ties and duct tape yet?

54 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

i look at most of these and wonder if none of these people have discovered cable ties and duct tape yet?

They are clearly not old enough and didn't watch MacGyver! 😆

3 hours ago, mikkelz said:

Just as soon as we get electricity in every household! 😜

I cant see most 3D printers taking much more than 300w, so a basic UPS/Inverter should protect prints from abruptly stopping.

The creality ender 3 V2 Neo also has a feature to resume prints when it powers back on which works pretty well.

20 minutes ago, NotSoBigBen said:

From personal experience  .... If you mount something (especially of value like a Garmin) on your bike using a 3d printed mount best to make sure you use a 'tether' for when it breaks/delaminates

#EkSeMaarNet

I can see many a rider looking to 3D print a "clip on tandem" to take their "loved ones" for a ride, with no tethers attached.

8 hours ago, Hairy said:

How long till it becomes standard to have a 3D printer in every household .... not too long I don't think.

My 3D printer and PC got kicked out of the house (and into the garage) 😅

image.png.10e45de9b899ac46f44fe662a392f9c1.png

Still need to find a better place for the keyboard and mouse. The top of a table saw isn't ideal 😅

image.png.78c2075dc058f8d8446197d87d2780f2.png

Had to run CAT6 to the garage... now the garage as gigabit internet 😎. The PC got stashed above the battery chargers, and velcro'd to the weatherboard.

The new location isn't ideal for working at the computer, but I remote in, either via iPad for basic functionality or laptop for more complex tasks.

The biggest plus of the new location is a direct connection to the 3D printer and laser cutter, so no more running back-and-forth with micro-SD cards.

Admittedly, I don't use either gadget as much as I could (or should), but once I'm done with my current project (replacing hardwood flooring in the nursery), I'm determined to fire up the 3D printer and laser again to fill the garage with the sweet scents of melted plastic and burnt MDF 😬

6 minutes ago, patches said:

My 3D printer and PC got kicked out of the house (and into the garage) 😅

image.png.10e45de9b899ac46f44fe662a392f9c1.png

Still need to find a better place for the keyboard and mouse. The top of a table saw isn't ideal 😅

image.png.78c2075dc058f8d8446197d87d2780f2.png

Had to run CAT6 to the garage... now the garage as gigabit internet 😎. The PC got stashed above the battery chargers, and velcro'd to the weatherboard.

The new location isn't ideal for working at the computer, but I remote in, either via iPad for basic functionality or laptop for more complex tasks.

The biggest plus of the new location is a direct connection to the 3D printer and laser cutter, so no more running back-and-forth with micro-SD cards.

Admittedly, I don't use either gadget as much as I could (or should), but once I'm done with my current project (replacing hardwood flooring in the nursery), I'm determined to fire up the 3D printer and laser again to fill the garage with the sweet scents of melted plastic and burnt MDF 😬

You also need a big screen and decent speakers connected to that PC, will make working in the garage more entertaining.

On 6/3/2023 at 8:23 PM, Furbz said:

Anyone want to take this on for me?

I’d be keen on at least 2 or 3 depending on the price

https://www.magcad-designs.com/products/magcad-garmin-varia-bontrager-blendr-saddle-mount

I have also been wanting to print something similar but the problem is that the material is still pretty unreliable from a strength perspective, for us weekend worriers at least.....so you have to plan for it breaking especially with a R3K device. so this will work but you need an elastic loop on the varia so if it breaks it can bounce around without falling off. 

I know this is a thread for "amateur" 3D printing but it might be worth considering getting a print done. We use Mentis (Home - Mentis3D) for work, parts printed with nylon looks better and feels way stronger. It looks like they also have a metal printer now. Process is usually very easy, you simply upload your STL's, pay with credit card and they deliver quick.

Sorry if someone has mentioned them previously.

16 hours ago, Kom said:

I cant see most 3D printers taking much more than 300w, so a basic UPS/Inverter should protect prints from abruptly stopping.

The creality ender 3 V2 Neo also has a feature to resume prints when it powers back on which works pretty well.

Think the draw is dependent on your temp etc. but the bulk of the high power draw is when heating the bed initially, printing use less power to just maintain the temps.  Think the element in my hotend is like a 40w element and I will need to check again but peak draw is closer to 150w on initial bed and hotend warmup on my PETG print settings and then drops considerably when printing to like 50-ish watt.

Some math and you can McGuyver a UPS to last at least one loadshed session so to not waste a print 😉 when Eskom comes a knocking, the resume on power failure a is a bit of an hit and miss especially if the power goes out for long and the hotend looses its Z point.

My latest thingiverse download is probably the most cycling related print job I can think of!

After much frustration with grind spillage and perfect dosing into the portafilter on my Breville Barista Express, I found this piece of genius!

I honestly don’t know why this isn’t a standard accessory with this coffee machine, my shot consistency (and cleanliness) is now near perfection 👏

8E011CA0-90E8-45B8-81F4-5561D0257255.jpeg

7CBC92E3-0195-4BEF-8CCC-6A3FD5651247.jpeg

D79AC689-60D3-47C7-B19C-61EFCD1238A9.png

On 6/6/2023 at 7:58 AM, hansolo said:

I know this is a thread for "amateur" 3D printing but it might be worth considering getting a print done. We use Mentis (Home - Mentis3D) for work, parts printed with nylon looks better and feels way stronger. It looks like they also have a metal printer now. Process is usually very easy, you simply upload your STL's, pay with credit card and they deliver quick.

Sorry if someone has mentioned them previously.

Can say these Mentis3D guys are pathetic

i've tried getting hold of them and never get a response  

Edited by Furbz