The Classics

'Dale

Gives Hirschi and Pogacar an equally deserved second and third.

Yep its hard to tell though but I think Roglic was going to win the sprint had it been clean in any case...he came up really fast.. sorry that we will never know though [emoji2368] Edited by Gen

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"It's unbelievable. It was so close. It goes to show you can never stop believing and never stop pushing until the last centimetre. It was the first time I did the oldest race in the calendar. It was on my wish list to win a Monument. I'm super happy I managed to win." Roglic quoted on Cycling News.

What an absolute blunder from JA. arguably he should have his rainbow jersey taken away. I am so bummed for Hirschi  - without JA's brainfade the result may have been different

What an absolute blunder from JA. arguably he should have his rainbow jersey taken away. I am so bummed for Hirschi  - without JA's brainfade the result may have been different

I have not much doubt that Hirschi would have won if it was a clean sprint. He was perfectly placed and had all the momentum when he was blocked by Alaphilipe. Roglic was too far back at that moment and it is extremely unlikely that he would have caught up to  a fast sprinter such as Hirschi.

Disgraceful riding by Alaphilipe.. he got what he deserved. 

What an absolute blunder from JA. arguably he should have his rainbow jersey taken away. I am so bummed for Hirschi - without JA's brainfade the result may have been different

Taking away an award from another event because of something done wrong in this one is just silly.

The premature celebration did make for some chuckles though.

Really ecstatic for Roglič. A sweet Monument victory. He refers to 3 months away from home in the interview as he aimed for the maillot jaune - incredible commitment and sacrifice.

Giggled reading this on social media just now:

“If Sagan made such a dumb move in the final sprint, he’d be in police custody right now...” ????

What an incredible demonstration of the curse of the rainbow jersey, hey.

https://youtu.be/zQBfMGRKtJI

Edited by 'Dale

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/alaphilippe-better-to-be-stripped-of-second-place-than-first/

He has apologised to Hirschi, which does seem sincere. I think it was a bit of a brain fade from him as I don't think he's done something like that before. But his move did deserve the relegation.

Most importantly the other riders were ok and he will learn from this going forward, both the swerve and the premature celebration.

Really ecstatic for Roglič

A sweet sweet Monument victory.

He refers to 3 months away from home in the interview as he aimed for the maillot jaune - incredible commitment and sacrifice.

Giggled reading this on social media just now:

“If Sagan made such a dumb move in the final sprint, he’d be in police custody right now...” [emoji1]

https://youtu.be/zQBfMGRKtJI

Ain't that the truth

https://cyclingmagazine.ca/sections/news/oops-alaphilippe-celebrates-too-early-at-liege-bastogne-liege-roglic-wins-first-monument/

I see JAP says he did not mean to look behind, see Hirshi coming and then change his line by 4m?

I wonder if they asked him if he meant to celebrate coming second so grandly as well?

Hopefully this will bring him back to earth a little.

hahaha 

I really enjoyed watching that for all the wrong reasons.

I am a massive Jalla fan but that swerve was terrible. I also noticed he had been swerving all over the road earlier too. At one point nearly taking out Roglic about 6 or 7 km from the finish.

I think he needed to come back down to earth a little. His focus had always been worlds (or so he said when all the new dates came out - repeatedly), so winning that so convincingly must be euphoric.

Seeing those 4 guys at the front was great. Form and race sharpness clearly on display.

Hopefully Jalla can put away some of that cocky swagger and concentrate on breaking the curse and winning some races in the stripes!