Man doping

If I understand it correctly, you got a team prize with your hubby, so absolutely nothing wrong with that, but if you also accepted First Lady prize as well then there is an ethical issue here as the other women were disadvantaged by having to race solo against a team of two. 

I disagree, if there was an issue with winning both the first lady prize and husband & wife prize then it should be the organisers responsibility to seperate the two (like having specific categories) - it should not be up to the rider to decide on everyone elses behalf which prize she won and which prize she is now disqualified for on someone elses moral interpretation.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Does the Husband also go to school sports days and piggy-back his kids to the finish line?

If there isn't a specific rule saying "Fathers may not piggy-back their kids to the finish line during school sports day" then he could probably get away with it. And perhaps his answer to the other parents, if the other kids don't like it, would be "they should bring their dad's along too".

You can see how very quickly the event would change from what it was supposed to be, into something it was never meant to be.

These days, dads would dope their kids to win.

So drafting is not on in MTB events?

Or only if the person is your husband?

Or boyfriend?  

Be realistic guys and gals.

Follow the rules and leave the emotion out of it.

Organisers stated that there will be spot prizes. Fact that it was awarded to husband/wife team is their prerogative.

Personally I enjoyed the event, something different and great ST.

May I just clear something up:

This was not about anyone in particular. If I wanted it to be, I would have provided that detail straight of the bat: Race and riders names etc. My question was should men be interfering in the woman's race?

So moving on:

To me it is not about just the benefits of drafting. Say you are going for podium and you get a technical. You will have someone right there to sort you out. The other competitors wont.

What if a few km from the finish, you as a podium contender get passed, would your husband stay out of it?

IMHO, Men should not be interfering in the woman's category (at least for the podium contenders) in any way shape or form. Full stop.

Let the ladies run their own race!

This was not about anyone in particular. If I wanted it to be, I would have provided that detail straight of the bat: Race and riders names etc. My question was should men be interfering in the woman's race?

So moving on:

To me it is not about just the benefits of drafting. Say you are going for podium and you get a technical. You will have someone right there to sort you out. The other competitors wont.

What if a few km from the finish, you as a podium contender get passed, would your husband stay out of it?

IMHO, Men should not be interfering in the woman's category (at least for the podium contenders) in any way shape or form. Full stop.

All valid BUT then start them in their own batch and enforce the rules.

I don't know what race this was but does anyone really care who came first? The fact that there is a first couple prize implies (to me at least) that this was just a fun ride where the only benefit of the podium is to tell your friends about at the next braai. To the OP, why are you so worried about your wife's position - is she looking to go professional (in which case I fully agree results are important)? 

Let Yzette bask in this moment of fireside glory - it just isn't worth the effort to fight. Hopefully when it's a more serious race your wife can prove herself in a more even playing field.

I don't know what race this was but does anyone really care who came first? The fact that there is a first couple prize implies (to me at least) that this was just a fun ride where the only benefit of the podium is to tell your friends about at the next braai. To the OP, why are you so worried about your wife's position - is she looking to go professional (in which case I fully agree results are important)? 

Let Yzette bask in this moment of fireside glory - it just isn't worth the effort to fight. Hopefully when it's a more serious race your wife can prove herself in a more even playing field.

In my opening post I clearly stated that the position would not have changed irrespective of the husband's presence.

It is not about who came first or last or whatever! This is not about my wife or the eventual winner either.

Who gets to decide what an even playing field is? Not even on this topic there is consensus. 

There is a difference between drafting someone and riding as a team. If I'm drafting I'm normally trying to hang on for as long as possible. As a team the stronger rider will help his/her partner, but not ride him/her off his/her wheel.

If (as a female) I ride with my husband/boyfriend/partner and draft him to the line, it is more off the latter. If I draft a male that happen to start with me it might be more of the former.

I realize there is a fair bit of generalization in the above, but I do feel there is a difference. How you would distinguish and control I don't know... 

Edited by HOEKVLAG

Surely if it's the front of the ladies race fellow competitors will see it and lodge a protest?

If it's the Saturday fun ride at WTF without a dedicated ladies batch and the ABSA helicopter then it's not really important.

These days, dads would dope their kids to win.

My son beats me by an hour in most MTB races. Next time I am packing some rope and a switch.  :ph34r:

Surely if it's the front of the ladies race fellow competitors will see it and lodge a protest?

If it's the Saturday fun ride at WTF without a dedicated ladies batch and the ABSA helicopter then it's not really important.

If it is not important, then why is your husband/boyfriend/partner interfering in the race?

And I do not think that you get to decide what is important for others - isn't that exactly how poop gets started?

This was not about anyone in particular. If I wanted it to be, I would have provided that detail straight of the bat: Race and riders names etc. My question was should men be interfering in the woman's race?

So moving on:

IMHO, Men should not be interfering in the woman's category (at least for the podium contenders) in any way shape or form. Full stop.

I understood what you were saying.. many people did not[emoji39]

I still say.. no outside assistance from other category riders in any form whatsoever when it comes to elites and other podium contenders.. finished and klaar.

Lower down the field we all help each other in some way and form.. keeping someone company that is struggling, passing a tube or a bomb or helping out when they are moedeloos because of a mechanical.. we have all done it and that's cool in my opinion.. gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling inside...