Man doping

Weird how peoples 'interpretation' of right and wrong differs.

Is it againts the rules? No

Is it fair, and within the spirit of the sport? No

And within that is the problem. The ORGANISERS made a real hash of the rules and its intepretation. How can you just add a category without putting it in place before the event?

The stench of favouritism and unethical behaviour is hanging over the organisers especially if you have a look at the prizes handed out. Stupid move.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Weird how peoples 'interpretation' of right and wrong differs.

Is it againts the rules? No

Is it fair, and within the spirit of the sport? No

So every instance a girl drafts behind a guy in a race she is actually cheating? Or is it only cheating if it's her husband?

You drafted your husband to get an advantage on others.

So are you suggesting she waits a bit when they start for her husband to get away so she has to ride alone.

If she rode on his wheel why did the other ladies not follow her wheel.

If she did not know the guy but was able to follow a certain male from start to finish having never met him, would it be different. They started in the same batch and she tried to keep up with the guy in front of her.

If it's not against the rules it's not cheating.

Does it make it right? That depends on your personal view.

Exactly the point here, rules are absolute and objective, i.e nto conforming to the rules will have some sort of consequence irrelevant of your beliefs.

Morals are subjective and open to personal interpretation, i.e the OP obviously feels that what the couple did is wrong, they dont, however the personal beliefs here will in no way affect the outcome.

Edited by Sitting@89

Telling a lady she is a vrot age will get you as far as offering vrou licking in a race. You may be beaten. And I don't mean to the finish line.

I can tell you that if she is of a vrot age then there certainly won't be any vrou licking going on!

By the sounds of your name you receive a lot of pushing too  :P

I assume it's me you're talking about as I won the 70km race and your wife placed 3rd.:-) I don't feel that I need to defend myself at all, but I would just like to make the following points. There was only one start batch for men and women and no rules stating that men and women aren't allowed to ride together. So effectively you were allowed to ride with your wife as well. The fact that there was a prize (which we didn't know about until prize giving), for the first husband and wife to finish together, obviously suggests that the organizers anticipated that men and women would ride together. Secondly, the race was majority singletrack, so I couldn't benefit that much from wheel sucking as you suggest... Yes I agree, mentally it helps to ride with someone stronger than you, but in MTBing, other than with road racing, the rider still has to do most of the work, whether you sit on a wheel or not. I didn't hold onto my husband's shirt nor did he push me at any point... We were about 6 riders that got away within the first 5km, but we unfortunately took a wrong turn when we got to a gate that should have been opened, but it hasn't yet. So we lost at least 5-10 mins there. If I remember correctly there was one other lady, who came 2nd, with us on the wrong route. So I had to work really hard to get back. Anyway, I passed most of the female riders on the way up WTF or just after that, which was very early on in the race, so up to there, there wasn't much room to sit on other wheels anyway... The reason why I also won QOM for the Strava challenge on WTF on the day... But each to their own... I've been on the podium in several races, road and MTB, individual and mixed categories on stage races with my husband... The lady who won the 110km race also rode with her husband... Just saying... :-) But you're entitled to your opinion...

If I understand it correctly, you got a team prize with your hubby, so absolutely nothing wrong with that, but if you also accepted First Lady prize as well then there is an ethical issue here as the other women were disadvantaged by having to race solo against a team of two. 

So every instance a girl drafts behind a guy in a race she is actually cheating? Or is it only cheating if it's her husband?

Is it fair towards other participants, and is it within the spirit of fair competition?

Exactly the point here, rules are absolute and objective, i.e nto conforming to the rules will have some sort of consequence irrelevant of your beliefs.

Morals are subjective and open to personal interpretation, i.e the OP obviously feels that what the couple did is wrong, they dont, however the personal beliefs here will in no way affect the outcome.

The rules cannot, and should not account for absolutely every eventuallity. That is what ethics are for.

So are you suggesting she waits a bit when they start for her husband to get away so she has to ride alone.

If she rode on his wheel why did the other ladies not follow her wheel.

If she did not know the guy but was able to follow a certain male from start to finish having never met him, would it be different. They started in the same batch and she tried to keep up with the guy in front of her.

I did not suggest anything. I made a simple statement.

Fact is she did not draft somebody randomly, she drafted her husband to get an advantage.

There is a difference.

Like I said, my view is that doing this is not ok. If other do think it's ok, then that's fine.

It only becomes a real issue if it's against the rules.

My point on this is simple, so please don't start with the "so are you suggesting this" or "so are you saying that". Doing that rarely ends in constructive discussions.

If I understand it correctly, you got a team prize with your hubby, so absolutely nothing wrong with that, but if you also accepted First Lady prize as well then there is an ethical issue here as the other women were disadvantaged by having to race solo against a team of two.

This is the core message. Well put.

Is it fair towards other participants, and is it within the spirit of fair competition?

Like Cheese pointed out, if she did not know the guy but sat on his wheel for the whole race would it still be unfair to the others? Did the others not also have the opportunity to draft behind guys?

Ladies draft behind guys all the time in mtb races, for how long are they allowed to before it goes against the "spirit of fair competition"

But I get that the idea of a lady drafting her husband all the way from the start to a win just doesn't sound lekker, can't see that doing that winning her many fans. Definitely a moral grey area.

Does the Husband also go to school sports days and piggy-back his kids to the finish line?

If there isn't a specific rule saying "Fathers may not piggy-back their kids to the finish line during school sports day" then he could probably get away with it. And perhaps his answer to the other parents, if the other kids don't like it, would be "they should bring their dad's along too".

You can see how very quickly the event would change from what it was supposed to be, into something it was never meant to be.

Unless the rules explicitly forbid it, I will be doing my next MTB event on an E-bike.

You? MTB? Really? I'm picturing an E-bike with flipped 120+ stem, 440 wide flat bars and over-inflated tyres...

Does the Husband also go to school sports days and piggy-back his kids to the finish line?

If there isn't a specific rule saying "Fathers may not piggy-back their kids to the finish line during school sports day" then he could probably get away with it. And perhaps his answer to the other parents, if the other kids don't like it, would be "they should bring their dad's along too".

You can see how very quickly the event would change from what it was supposed to be, into something it was never meant to be.

^ ^ ^