Tokai mountain bike trails reopen to the public

News bot

I think Vasbyt is a bit of a let down for the reasons you mention. I also used to love that log drop feature. Its also too short and some of the fun stuff was in the lower 1/3 of the track that is off limits. 

That said, the new tracks eg Boulders now have far more fun stuff in them and make far better use of the terrain IMO. Two rock drop things on the ascent and a nice steep rock/wood rollover thing for instance.

Cobra and Mamba are great IMO - Cobra especially as it is now a bit wider and has a few more features lower down.

Work in progress is how to view Tokai I think and I am sure it will get better over time.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What log drop are you guys talking about?  I'm hitting a blank.  On vasbyt?  

The only drop that I can think of is the wooden boardwalk thing that you could drop off the end of.

The only drop that I can think of is the wooden boardwalk thing that you could drop off the end of.

Think it's the entry into that section before the boardwalk ride. At pace you would fly for a while.. It'll all be back.

Think it's the entry into that section before the boardwalk ride. At pace you would fly for a while.. It'll all be back.

It was close to the top, drop into the berm at the start, then it was roots, stumps, one small log step then one big one. Just enough space to get the back wheel off the first one before the front wheel went over the second one. Solution was to hit it at speed and take the second one out of the mix. Then try and sort everything out before the trail narrowed between an old stump and a rock.

Epic had a prologue there, lots of guys just bottled it and walked. Platt tail whipped it....

Absolutely agree with considering it a work in progress.

It was close to the top, drop into the berm at the start, then it was roots, stumps, one small log step then one big one. Just enough space to get the back wheel off the first one before the front wheel went over the second one. Solution was to hit it at speed and take the second one out of the mix. Then try and sort everything out before the trail narrowed between an old stump and a rock.

Epic had a prologue there, lots of guys just bottled it and walked. Platt tail whipped it....

My one single problem with vasbyt as it stands. Those roots were great if you didn't want to get airborne on the jumps

My one single problem with vasbyt as it stands. Those roots were great if you didn't want to get airborne on the jumps

I think they were accidentally shredded when the DH line was built.

Also if I remember correctly that bit had become very loose and weak after the fire so they may have had to go anyway, which is a bit of a shame. As someone said above they were a nice challenge to do for the first time.

Didn't you have a big *moment* on there a while back?

Roots rather than logs, just after the big berm.

I think Vasbyt is a bit of a let down for the reasons you mention. I also used to love that log drop feature. Its also too short and some of the fun stuff was in the lower 1/3 of the track that is off limits. 

Exactly what my youngster had to say about Vasbyt too.

We will get the bottom section back eventually, so there is that to look forward to.

Check my video 0:18....if I understand your log drop, look left, it's still there, just have to chose the old line...

Those 3 roots are still there. You can do the step down jump over the stump on the right, hit the chicken line on the left, or hit the roots in the middle. If you hit the roots you can land in the dh line or transfer mid air into the chicken line to the left. Its actually a sweet multiple line choice

Those 3 roots are still there. You can do the step down jump over the stump on the right, hit the chicken line on the left, or hit the roots in the middle. If you hit the roots you can land in the dh line or transfer mid air into the chicken line to the left. Its actually a sweet multiple line choice

Yeah, you're right. Really, it's a new set of options and is just a change. Not a loss.

And Mark-yep. Went in there too fast for my skills and my foot came off just in the gully next to the log tabletop. Was fun

Roots rather than logs, just after the big berm.

Ok!  Now I know where you meant!  In my mind Vasbyt only started after that where the line split between the DH and Vasbyt, and it was just the DH line before that.

I did enjoy those roots!  

Yeah, you're right. Really, it's a new set of options and is just a change. Not a loss.

And Mark-yep. Went in there too fast for my skills and my foot came off just in the gully next to the log tabletop. Was fun

Fast? Not a problem I have [emoji1]

Although I did manage to bin it twice in two days after opening. At walking pace...