[Event] The 99er Cycle Race 2017

Ninetyniner Durbanville

So my start time is 7:44, anyone willing to give some advice wrt nutrition on the ride for a noobie?

I did stellies and 2 bananas and a energy chocky didn't cut it. [emoji85]

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

Pre-loading is as important as race food

Idea:

Day before:

Small portions of carb-rich meals to fill up the tank

Hydrate

Breakfast:

Toast with honey

Tea or coffee (sometimes tummies don't like)

Hydrate

In start chute:

Bar / banana

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So my start time is 7:44, anyone willing to give some advice wrt nutrition on the ride for a noobie?

I did stellies and 2 bananas and a energy chocky didn't cut it. [emoji85]

Stick to what you know and have used before. Do not try anything new on race day. The last thing you want is to find out that your new found "muti" does not agree with your system.

On a side note though,most people (myself included) always get butterflies in the stomach on race day. I would suggest clearing the stomach before leaving home is important as well.

Hammer gels once an hour plus date bar every hour plus droewors when i need comfort plus electrolyte tabs in water either usn or hammer.

Oats and honey and banana for breakfast.

Whiskey and huge steak dinner for afters.

If you're cruising along in a nice group but you are needing to fill your wayer bottle stopping at refreshment station obviously means you lose the group. Is it like the grand prix where you bank on everyone needing to make ine pit stop? Do you push on without water (seems suicidal to me)

If you're cruising along in a nice group but you are needing to fill your wayer bottle stopping at refreshment station obviously means you lose the group. Is it like the grand prix where you bank on everyone needing to make ine pit stop? Do you push on without water (seems suicidal to me)

I never stop on a road race under 110km. You stop, you lost the group.

Longer races people have to stop, so you discuss it in the group where you going to stop.

I always rather stop if I see i'm going to run out of water.. the 1 minute it takes to get water is lot less time lost than the 20 minutes cramping at the end.  You also normally catch a few straglers and can make new group.

Camelbak!!

Actually Thor - I'm still limping after last friday's crash on cheeky corners - I looked at my Camelbak and judging from the state of it - it really saved me another big bruise and scrape, Not that I tucked and rolled though - one minute riding, the next spitting dirt, #onlyhurtswhenistoppedalling

Camelbak!!

Aaaaargggghhhhg ????????????????????

Come on, Dale... Baggies, short socks, the back of a camel... A-group by Argus time. And so much easier to store the Apple Danish for half way!

Cool - I see there is a water station just before Vissershok - I think I might just see if I can make it to there on the 1,5 liters my two bottles hold and then fill up where not being in a group doesn't make so much difference.

Of course a lot depends on the weather.

Longer races people have to stop, so you discuss it in the group where you going to stop.

I always rather stop if I see i'm going to run out of water.. the 1 minute it takes to get water is lot less time lost than the 20 minutes cramping at the end.  You also normally catch a few straglers and can make new group.

Thanks for all the replies. Baked baby potatoes and some racefood bars looks promising. Will get some hammer gel for those last "little" hills.

I'm by no means in the 3hr category lol, I'm overweight not particularly fit (only started cycling socially just before last years Argus) and am riding an old Trek 800 7x3 mountain bike. So if I do under 5 I'll be happy.