Lane Hoggers

Moondust

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't condone their actions, and agree actions like that damage the company's reputation...

I also agree that Solomon Mahlangu is a danagerous and normaly busy road..

BUT:

The longest single lane stretch on Solomon Mahlangu is 1.1 km long (Between Jacqueline and Garsfontein). Assuming that is where the frustration happened, by slowing down to 40 km/h you only 'lost' 33 seconds. Then you would've reached a traffic light or double lane again.

It was also 5h30 on the last day of the year..

Bad manners or unacommodating perhaps, but not legally incorrect as pointed out above. Also perhaps poorly advised as you may get a reckless and violent reaction from a large number of South African motorists.

But, there's a slow vehicle in your lane - you must therefore wait for a chance to pass safely. The yellow lane is not a bike lane. Kinda like trucks and yellow lane driving.

I saw a hell of a lot of motorists die this past month on our roads due to being impatient and aggressive.  Not working out for them so much........

Yes they held you up.  Yes they were hogging the lane.  So does a tractor.  Or the homeless guy pulling his earthly  belongings in his trolley.  Lots of "injustices" every day on the road.

Just wait 60 seconds and pass when it is save. 

Them being right or wrong or bad road users does not mean you have to be aggressive or impatient. 

It's 5:30 in the morning. The roads can't be THAT congested?  Rather sit behind them and, as fellow cyclist, be a "shield" for drivers approaching drunk an at speed from behind (Yes, the guys are leaving Presleys that time of morning storm dronk) for the bunch for a couple of seconds until it is safe to pass.

More the average South African mentality. You see it everywhere that people's first reaction when facing criticism is to attack the critic. Flip, it's Trump's signature move.

Edit: Actually, your reply above my post is Exhibit A.

You're right. It's not one particular group but rather one particular strand of human behavior:)

The yellow lane is not a bike lane. Kinda like trucks and yellow lane driving.

The was a big bitch fight a couple of years back with involving the loveable Oom BigH.

But something that was mentioned (and it stuck) was that should an accident happen inside the yellow lane ( and you were driving / cycling in the yellow lane), your insurance would not pay out as you were illegally traveling in an emergency lane.

Don't know if it has any truth in it but worth to have a think about it.

I saw a hell of a lot of motorists die this past month on our roads due to being impatient and aggressive.  Not working out for them so much........

Yes they held you up.  Yes they were hogging the lane.  So does a tractor.  Or the homeless guy pulling his earthly  belongings in his trolley.  Lots of "injustices" every day on the road.

Them being right or wrong or bad road users does not mean you have to be aggressive or impatient. 

It's 5:30 in the morning. The roads can't be THAT congested?  Rather sit behind them and, as fellow cyclist, be a "shield" for drivers approaching drunk an at speed from behind (Yes, the guys are leaving Presleys that time of morning storm dronk) for the bunch for a couple of seconds until it is safe to pass.

Not impatient or aggressive Spinnekop, merely bringing selfish behavior to light. The tractor and the rubbish guy don't hog an entire lane when there is space on the side. I am more than willing to wait behind them. They also don't swear at me when I talk to them. 

Also, they would have less chance of being hit by the "storm dronk" okes if they weren't in the middle of the road. I am not there to protect ignorance.

off topic, but in response to Bad manners mentioned further up.

I just dealt with someone now, who thought he was entitled to do as he pleases etc etc, starts tearing open packaging and so on. Staff says hold on he will be helped, but he carries on as he does not want to wait.

When the staff was free to help him(he had to wait anyway) he was like where is the cane so you can spank me. I was thats uncalled for and totally unnecessory . SO this guy carries on its 2017 and whats the big deal he destroyed some packaging and how is he supposed to know what the stuff are etc. Well if he asked then they would have shown him, but he was too impatient. Totally the wrong attitude, and like the cyclist(s) mentioned in this thread there are plenty people who have this attitude that they can do as they want etc etc.

Nothing gets done and they carry on. Unfortunately we now have to answer to the boss about damaged products which this guy didnt care about.

With you on this one 100%

And for all those who think it is soooo much safer in the yellow lane on this specific road ... I have almost been taken out in the yellow lane there on sooo many cases that it is not funny and then we actually lost a club member on that road in the yellow lane.

Not impatient or aggressive Spinnekop, merely bringing selfish behavior to light. The tractor and the rubbish guy don't hog an entire lane when there is space on the side. I am more than willing to wait behind them. They also don't swear at me when I talk to them. 

Also, they would have less chance of being hit by the "storm dronk" okes if they weren't in the middle of the road. I am not there to protect ignorance.

I know more cyclists that have been killed in the yellow lane by drunk drivers than those in the middle of the road.

#Fact

post-14003-0-16280900-1472041878.jpg

I am not saying that what that particular cyclist was doing is right, but I think cyclists should be allowed to cycle in the lane, and not the shoulder. I know this is the legal way to do it, but to my understanding, the problem you had with the cyclist is that he was cycling in "the car's" lane. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I have also found that when cycling only in the yellow lane, motorists(most of them) tend to completely ignore you and keep on driving as if you were not there. And there is much greater risk of getting punctures.