UCI Mountain Bike World Cup comes to the Western Cape in 2018

News bot

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yourself included I assume? 

I think R100 is still reasonable but to put it in perspective.

Thats a 80km round trip by car and if the whole family goes - maybe R300 for tickets  - I assume  a 6 year old might be free, failing which its R400. Plus food and drinks - could be close to R750 by the time you are done. 

Nope, not me. I'll definitely budget on a ticket, and go with a couple mates. Even if I go alone, I'll still go. Get a ticket and then go in via G spot if I can. 

Nope, not me. I'll definitely budget on a ticket, and go with a couple mates. Even if I go alone, I'll still go. Get a ticket and then go in via G spot if I can. 

Me and my family will probably cycle there if we can. Not looking forward at sitting in Stellies traffic on the way to Coetzenburg.

Eden is too far away from Coetzenburg for it to form an XCO loop of 4 - 5 km. I suspect they will mostly stay with the current circuit which is already quite technical, and just add some more interesting bits for spectator value. 

Eden is too far away from Coetzenburg for it to form an XCO loop of 4 - 5 km. I suspect they will mostly stay with the current circuit which is already quite technical, and just add some more interesting bits for spectator value. 

that climb back up to the top and then a drop down into G spot would be awesome... That climb to the top is hell!

Would it be restricted to coetzenberg only? or would eden, mount marie be included in the track?

probably just Coetzenberg. The XCO loop is already there and will probably just get tweaked and spruced up for this. 

I'm keen on seeing the Elites race through that rock garden. and hucking the log drops at the bottom. 

It'll be carnage.

probably just Coetzenberg. The XCO loop is already there and will probably just get tweaked and spruced up for this. 

I'm keen on seeing the Elites race through that rock garden. and hucking the log drops at the bottom. 

It'll be carnage.

66393046.jpg

What most people here forget is that in most of Europe the infrastructure is vastly different at the venues as they cater to mountain biking in the summer and alpine skiing in the winter. So entry fees et al include trips up the gondola and most of the tickets seem to indicate multiple trips over the weekend. The only similar metaphor would be if there really was a DH course built on Table Mountain and you paid an entry fee but you got to ride up and down the cableway as much as you liked during the contest period as part of the entry cost. (The cablecar cannot do the same volume of people as the ski resorts gondolas and chair lifts, so there is already a key difference here!)

What most people here forget is that in most of Europe the infrastructure is vastly different at the venues as they cater to mountain biking in the summer and alpine skiing in the winter. So entry fees et al include trips up the gondola and most of the tickets seem to indicate multiple trips over the weekend. The only similar metaphor would be if there really was a DH course built on Table Mountain and you paid an entry fee but you got to ride up and down the cableway as much as you liked during the contest period as part of the entry cost. (The cablecar cannot do the same volume of people as the ski resorts gondolas and chair lifts, so there is already a key difference here!)

Yes - BUT - there are also tickets for non-gondala passes ...

17 Pounds entry (R289) entry at Fort William for the day with no gondala access.

long and short we in for a wicked March 2018, between the Argus, UCI XCO and the Epic... 

You forget that Eroica South Africa is on the 18th of March, in Montague, the weekend after the Argus. They arranged it like that to give the international Argus riders the chance to stay and ride Eroica as well. March is going to be a busy busy month for me.

Ps I was talking 2017, sorry if I confused anyone. :blush:  

Edited by DJR

Well, March next year my boss won't be able to pin me down. I will be on the trails. I am sure the trails from Helderberg to Jonkers will be filled with internationals training.

Are you Capies serious? Free entry to a UCI XC World Cup event? Eksemaarniks... Stay at home in front of your computers boys, let us Vaalies attend and boost the Cape coffers for you then.  

We'll be there, just like all of the Pmb events. The Batty Army will return.

Emily drives me Batty!

Are you Capies serious? Free entry to a UCI XC World Cup event? Eksemaarniks... Stay at home in front of your computers boys, let us Vaalies attend and boost the Cape coffers for you then.

We'll be there, just like all of the Pmb events. The Batty Army will return.

Emily drives me Batty!

I'll beat you if you block my view! ????????????