SA Customs

TrailWarrior

Anybody have a contact at SA Customs?

I have a parcel that I know has landed in the country and have been informed by the tracking status that it is lying at Customs.  :angry:

I need to get this parcel by Monday 20th next week the latest.....its important.....

BUT I'm starting to think what are the chances?? Only in Africa ?  :unsure: ......

Edited by TrailWarrior

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Customs dont rush. Have a friend who does import. They make them wait up to 3 months to get a container in. He is away on holiday for 2 weeks unfortunately. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Parcels from out of country (read CRC, Evans etc) usually take 2 to 4 days to clear.

After that it is SAPO that usually hold things up. 

My last 2 packages have gone from Northern Ireland to my front door using regular tracked delivery (not DHL) in about 10 days.

Find out where your depot is and go and enquire.

They will charge you and off you go.

My last parcel  lay for almost 3 weeks in customs ..    but the one before was cleared the same day..  So expect it when you see it.

If time was of the essence then you should have couriered it. Normal posted parcels get the lowest priority when being cleared at customs. I just got a package that was posted from China in the first week of December. It was at customs for 2 weeks.

Anybody have a contact at SA Customs?

I have a parcel that I know has landed in the country and have been informed by the tracking status that it is lying at Customs.  :angry:

I need to get this parcel by Monday 20th next week the latest.....its important.....

BUT I'm starting to think what are the chances?? Only in Africa  :unsure: ......

Get hold rubber called Lexx he might be able to help.

A few of things I've learned in almost a decade of importing.

Firstly, when you need something urgently it takes longer. I use courier at greater cost for urgent. All couriers act as own clearing agents.

Secondly.

Phone the 0800 111 502 number and give them the foreign tracking number. If they can give you the local number, usually II or RI depending on registered or not, you know your parcel has been processed inwards and is now waiting customs clearance or onward transport.

Go to website https://www.postoffice.co.za/ContactUs/trackandtracedomestic.html in Microsoft Edge. It does not work in firefox or chrome. Put in your II or RI local code that you got from the call centre.

This will show you if it has been processed by customs or not.

Status of JHB INT MAIL CENTRE (HUB) means customs still need to look at your parcel.

Status of

In transit 2017-01-31 07:46 JHB INT MAIL CENTRE (HUB)

means the parcel has been processed by customs and is on the way to the clearing house.

After this it gets sent to your local post office.  This last step usually take 3 full days.

If you are in Jozi you could drive out to JIMC the day you see this status to fetch your parcel. In Cape it goes to Cape Mail and once received there you can collect it.

The parcel above arrived in SA between the 12th and 24th of January, was processed by customs on 31st and I collected it today, 13th. Reason I say 12th and 24th is that is when it enters the black hole at JIMC and the international tracking ceases until it is processed as a local parcel.

I hope this helps.

I've got a parcel stuck at JIMC for 4 months now, they don't seem to answer their phones (o11 961 6070  / 011 961 6026)

Carbon, you suggest driving out there?

I've got a parcel stuck at JIMC for 4 months now, they don't seem to answer their phones (o11 961 6070  / 011 961 6026)

If it is through the first stage and you can see it has been received locally with an II or IR # then yes, I would go out based on my experience at Cape Mail. Although it gets stuck at customs at JIMC, the local mail centres process and asses their own customs duties so the experience at Cape Mail should be similar to JIMC. As far as I can tell JIMC does not actually do anything to parcels that are not for Johannesburg, other than cause delays.

Luckily at Cape Mail we have Deon who is a cyclist and always looks after the guys who are regular visitors and make the effort to engage with him. But he can't do anything until the parcel is in the Cape.

I've got a parcel stuck at JIMC for 4 months now, they don't seem to answer their phones (o11 961 6070 / 011 961 6026)

Done this three times and it was worth it each time. Go for it.

If it is through the first stage and you can see it has been received locally with an II or IR # then yes, I would go out based on my experience at Cape Mail. Although it gets stuck at customs at JIMC, the local mail centres process and asses their own customs duties so the experience at Cape Mail should be similar to JIMC. As far as I can tell JIMC does not actually do anything to parcels that are not for Johannesburg, other than cause delays.

Luckily at Cape Mail we have Deon who is a cyclist and always looks after the guys who are regular visitors and make the effort to engage with him. But he can't do anything until the parcel is in the Cape.

Is that Deon Muller? If so he is really good to deal with.

Deon.muller@postoffice.co.Za

If stuff is at cape mail,he's your guy.

TrailWorrior where are you based. I have on more than one occasion drove ro the international mail centre and fetched parcels directly from them even with status showing at customs they are behind the same counter just different sections

Try socialmedia@postoffice.co.za if you have an international tracking number which needs a local version.

Very helpful and quick to reply.

There is a large backlog at JIMC. Which is one reason why things may be slower than usual.