Do eBikes belong on the mountain?

Bike Hub Features

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As soon as I win the lotto I'm going to turn our local park into the best in the country. And then install EMP devices at the trailhead.

Come at me bro.

As soon as I win the lotto I'm going to turn our local park into the best in the country. And then install EMP devices at the trailhead.

Come at me bro.

Would that turn it into a ball of flames? possibly burning down the trails.

What if there is a faulty ebike on a trail and there is some sort of short causing a fire.

Would that turn it into a ball of flames? possibly burning down the trails.

What if there is a faulty ebike on a trail and there is some sort of short causing a fire.

What if an old-timer is having a breather next to the trail, takes off his glasses, the glasses focusses the sun rays into a hot beam and starts a fire.

What if a rider falls and a metal piece from his bike scratches a rock, creates a quick spark and starts a fire.

What if...

What if...

What if...

Edited by ØÐINSȪƝ

By the time Tokai is fully open and functional, I will probably need and e-bike to get to the top of the mountain. But then I will be able to pass all of you on the way up, and come down the single track very cautiously, sorry if you have have to wait for me...

But seriously this all comes down to "Environmental Impact". Bicycles, by their nature, have a finite impact on the environment. They are "eco friendly" and "healthy" so they score good points in political correctness. This is the platform that has been leveraged to get us access to the likes of Tokai and Jonkershoek. If you allow bikes with engines onto the mountain, there will be more of them and they will go further and faster. Net result is a bigger "impact" and a total neutralization of the brownie points.

"But they are not motor bikes, you still have to pedal". The current batch of e-bikes weigh in at about 22kg. If you pushed that up to say 30kg you would have to much less pedalling. And even a bright high school student could implement a modification like this. Already we have conflicting standards in Europe and the USA and effectively none at all in South Africa. E-bikes ARE motorbikes! It is just that, for moment, their weight and power are modest enough to not attract too much attention. But it is just a matter of time before the total wattage of all the e-bikes out on the trails over weekends becomes a problem.

"But they will allow the old and the injured to access the mountain". Speaking as one who already feels challenged accessing some of the available trails, we have to accept that we can get our thrills on the lower easier slopes.

Have a quiet chat to the guys who have had to negotiate with the likes of SANPark for access for MTB's and ask them what the reaction will be when the mountain bosses apply their minds to e-bikes.

The industry should take the lead in this and ensure that all e-bikes are painted with yellow and black stripes, or marked with other means of clear means of identification and tagged with their power rating. Then the sporting administrators and cycling interest groups, like Cycling SA, Amarider and Pedal Power Association,  should agree on a policy, "E-bikes are banned from mountains and trails until specific permission is obtained from the land owner/manager for each trail. Such permission should clearly specify the terms of access, such as permitted power ratings and concessions for handicapped or elderly riders."

What if an old-timer is having a breather next to the trail, takes off his glasses, the glasses focusses the sun rays into a hot beam and starts a fire.

What if a rider falls and a metal piece from his bike scratches a rock, creates a quick spark and starts a fire.

What if...

What if...

What if...

Those will never happen, glasses take too long and needs a very specific focus point. Alu dont spark and carbon cracks.

Have a quiet chat to the guys who have had to negotiate with the likes of SANPark for access for MTB's and ask them what the reaction will be when the mountain bosses apply their minds to e-bikes.

You've already had his input. They don't care about ebikes. They care about motorbikes. There's a difference in the implementation, power,usage, licensing and classification. 

Can I drive my e-car on the beach? If guys are riding fat bikes and using kite cars, surely my e-car can go there too?

Eish... The line has to be drawn somewhere. Especially on shared trails. Those dogs and their walkers skrik hard when you ride really slowly anywhere near them.

I don't have an issue with e-bikes, but as with everything, the finger becomes an arm and we are back to square one in no time.

In an ideal world photographers and guys checking route markings for events etc should be able to make use of these things in a controlled environment. But having people willy nilly turn up at every trail head with heaven knows what mods is just impossible to manage.

The line in the sand needs to be drawn and, well, defining what/how/who where is impossible should 'standards' need to be regulated.

If you're old or injured, learn how to surf or do something else rad. That reasoning holds no sway unless you are impatient and entitled...  :ph34r:

Edited by Jewbacca

Seriously? You're like a person who sees an article on social media, doesn't read it, but dives into the comment section arse first to give his uniformed opinion.

If you actually ride an e-MTB you will see and understand that it isn't the threat to the trails that you think it is.

You're poorly informed, but want to take a hard stance on this subject.

Really? As your argument is so weak your retort is to belittling me? Arse first? Clearly you have not read any of my posts on this subject on this thread except the one I responded to your "Test drive and you'll love it" post.  Which is about as relevant as telling me to go to church regularly.

I have consistently stated that trails use is up to the land owner's discretion.

I have no interest in riding either a mountain bike nor a motorised mountain bike as I am banned from the trails.

I do however have a brain and can use it to inform myself. As a matter of course I do not comment without understanding the topic at hand.

Really? As your argument is so weak your retort is to belittling me? Arse first? Clearly you have not read any of my posts on this subject on this thread except the one I responded to your "Test drive and you'll love it" post.  Which is about as relevant as telling me to go to church regularly.

I have consistently stated that trails use is up to the land owner's discretion.

I have no interest in riding either a mountain bike nor a motorised mountain bike as I am banned from the trails.

I do however have a brain and can use it to inform myself. As a matter of course I do not comment without understanding the topic at hand.

now we need more info

A while ago on another thread I mentioned about my incident with an Emtb.

Anyway, it scared the living daylights out of me, struggling all solitary on a steep climb at Jonkers all in my own zone. Nice and quiet, no one else around and suddenly whooooossshhhhh and a soft bzzzzzzzz and gone. I was like damn how, O naa its an ebike. 

I would like to give one a go and see how it handles the downs with all that extra weight.

Pretty soon those battery packs and drivetrain will be tiny