Do eBikes belong on the mountain?

Bike Hub Features

IMHO this judgment left the man off very lightly. 

His fast cruising speed comes paired with nearly complete silence. The un-informed pedestrian may well assume the biker is much slower and as such it is safe to cross the road. An assumption that may well have cost her life.

I don't mind if people play and have fun. But man up and stand for the consequences of your actions if things go wrong. Sad story, in so many aspects.

That article does not indicate if he altered the bike to achieve the 30mph.

Riding to and from the trails I often far exceed the "assisted speed" from the ebike, this on a stock standard ebike where the assist stops at the manufacturers setting.  AND, in these cases other cyclists stay with me, actually they often pass me at speeds in excess of the limited assist level.

IF he had altered the bike, that would be a different case.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

GCN Show mentioned that last month, ebike sales beat normal bike sales in Belgium for the first time ever, 51% to 49%.

I get the feeling the average South African would be horrified to see what Europe considers an "ebike". In cummuterless SA an ebike is a carbon duallie dripping in XTR - over here it's a 20kg steel frame with a powered front hub (shimano STEPS if you're rich).

I get the feeling the average South African would be horrified to see what Europe considers an "ebike". In cummuterless SA an ebike is a carbon duallie dripping in XTR - over here it's a 20kg steel frame with a powered front hub (shimano STEPS if you're rich).

Yup. Big difference over there. Why the hell not save energy on your commute. You get to the office / school / shop faster on your wagon, and with less sweat. Could even push more professionals to commute in as a result of that. If I were in Nederlands I'd probably be piloting one of those carrier-bikes so I could grab the shopping and put my laptop / work / gym bag on it without it being on me. 

Friends brought back ebikes after their last trip to Europe ... proper commuter bike, with the battery in the carrier over the rear wheel.  Hub-drive type motor.

EXCELLENT commuter bike !!!

but not the type of bike that gets 99% of the air time on EMBN ....

I hope that they are selling the appropriate footwear for these bikes.

https://ebiketips.road.cc/content/news/gaerne-launch-cycling-shoes-specifically-for-e-bikes-2457

https://www.shimano-steps.com/e-bikes/united-kingdom/en/news/meet-shimanos-performance-driven-e-bike-flat-shoes

I also sincerely hope that they educate the riders of these new machines on how to lube their chains properly

https://ebike-mtb.com/en/how-to-lube-an-e-mtb-chain-correctly/

shoes must be double insulated should you touch your battery and it shorts

Yup. Big difference over there. Why the hell not save energy on your commute. You get to the office / school / shop faster on your wagon, and with less sweat. Could even push more professionals to commute in as a result of that. If I were in Nederlands I'd probably be piloting one of those carrier-bikes so I could grab the shopping and put my laptop / work / gym bag on it without it being on me. 

This is what to cool Dads ride over here :-)

post-2412-0-77884500-1594995295_thumb.jpg

I just came back from the local Spaz dealer - It seems that they can't sell/stock enough Turbo Levo's. Sales are beyond their expectations!

Everybody I know who has an eBike got it chipped. Apparently this is what you do back home (Germany). Where is the fun in going 25ks?

Anyways. We are both guessing here. One the one side there does not seem to be evidence. On the other hand it needs a proper impact to kill a person. Be it as it may there are three things that must be remembered for this. A person lost her life which is very sad. Another person will have to life with his conscience. No really nice either.

And going forward things like this can become really really expensive should any irregularities be involved. 

That article does not indicate if he altered the bike to achieve the 30mph.

Riding to and from the trails I often far exceed the "assisted speed" from the ebike, this on a stock standard ebike where the assist stops at the manufacturers setting.  AND, in these cases other cyclists stay with me, actually they often pass me at speeds in excess of the limited assist level.

IF he had altered the bike, that would be a different case.

Yep! My brother lives in Copenhagen. Cars there are luxury items and taxed over 100% so they (family of 3 1/2) don't own one. Both Phds in well paying research positions mind that. 

Anyway, they just looked into buying a cargoEbike like this one so they get better reach going for outings to the beach 20km North, with toddler, cooler box and umbrella all packed... This is how it is done there. Very very different life style...tons more humble than here...

This is what to cool Dads ride over here :-)

Yep! My brother lives in Copenhagen. Cars there are luxury items and taxed over 100% so they (family of 3 1/2) don't own one. Both Phds in well paying research positions mind that.

Anyway, they just looked into buying a cargoEbike like this one so they get better reach going for outings to the beach 20km North, with toddler, cooler box and umbrella all packed... This is how it is done there. Very very different life style...tons more humble than here...

Indeed. People keep asking me to compare and the closest answer is "exactly the opposite to everything in SA". The weather being the worst opposite!

Indeed. People keep asking me to compare and the closest answer is "exactly the opposite to everything in SA". The weather being the worst opposite!

I think in general life itself is just more chilled, allowing families and people to concentrate on what's important to them. Professionally, personally and spiritually. Like the difference in mentalities between a drunken lout, and your average MJ smoker after a few puffs. 

My personal favourite in SA is when a persons car costs more than their house .... 

Yeah and you could do those things without your laptop being grabbed off at a stop light.

I think that along with being surrounded by people who understand why there are certain rules and follow them are the things I want the most. 

I think in general life itself is just more chilled, allowing families and people to concentrate on what's important to them. Professionally, personally and spiritually. Like the difference in mentalities between a drunken lout, and your average MJ smoker after a few puffs. 

That about sums it up. Human beings have value over here. Great for that inner peace - bad for prices at restaurants, cafes and anything that requires humans :-)