Do eBikes belong on the mountain?

Bike Hub Features

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Three antithetical thoughts in one post?

I really don't get the snobbish attitude in this thread. 

@TNT1. No not if you read the entire post and not just three portions of three different sentences. 

1. I rode an Ebike and it was a riot i.e. lots of fun. 

2. If you ride an ebike just because you want to show off then the concept of pedalling a bike along and pushing your limits might be lost on you.

3. If you bitch and moan about ebikes because one beat your KOM then you have missed the plot entirely.

As for the snobbish attitude I honestly do not have one, I rode an ebike and liked it. Should people be allowed to ride ebikes, yes. Should people cry because ebikes are faster in some aspects than their non ebike brethren, no. 

Bit of an own goal ....

Gent (will remain nameless) buys his and hers ebikes ....

And they progress from the "promenade" to heading straight into the trail, using that motor to get good elevation .... blast down the single track .... straight into ER with a broken collar bone ....

Now they are "considering" coaching .....

Then again, cant blame it on the bike ....

Mate of mine if s a very proficient mtb er an only 55. Bought a Whyte e bike for 5750 quid. I rip him off.

He laughs and says he loves it as now he can go uphill much faster.

Still has 2 Birds non e so has all bases covered

Wow, that is crazy with some crazy skill !  I did not even dream that that is possible.

Indeed. But he can probably do a lot of that on a normal bike, just slower.

• 3 weeks later...

I need to rant about these “ebikes” a bit.

These types of ebikes have become very popular here ,in the Ardennes and in Germany over the past 2-3 months.

These things run at 40-50km/h and the riders are just plane dangerous on trails.

They are electric motorcycles but you can buy a pedal kit that makes them technically legal to use in the forests.

Went riding this morning and one of my local routes was blocked off and I couldn’t get through.I found it strange that a path was closed off to the public .

I bumped into one of the forestry workers and told me that the guys with these bikes have be frightening the land owner when she rides her horses.Her husband had decided to block all public access to their land.

Just a matter of time before they hit a hiker,A horse or someone walking their dog.

2026f48a29b9d42f2ade59009343483d.jpg

These types of ebikes have become very popular here ,in the Ardennes and in Germany over the past 2-3 months.

These things run at 40-50km/h and the riders are just plane dangerous on trails.

They are electric motorcycles but you can buy a pedal kit that makes them technically legal to use in the forests.

Went riding this morning and one of my local routes was blocked off and I couldn’t get through.I found it strange that a path was closed off to the public .

I bumped into one of the forestry workers and told me that the guys with these bikes have be frightening the land owner when she rides her horses.Her husband had decided to block all public access to their land.

Just a matter of time before they hit a hiker,A horse or someone walking their dog.

2026f48a29b9d42f2ade59009343483d.jpg

Agreed.

They look like loads of fun, but shouldn't be allowed on cycling / hiking trails.

Just a matter of time before they hit a hiker,A horse or someone walking their dog.2026f48a29b9d42f2ade59009343483d.jpg

Not an ebike.

Putting pedals on something does not make it a bicycle

Agreed

I do not consider ebikes as mountain bikes or road bikes and I dont agree with them taking part in road or mtb events