Do eBikes belong on the mountain?

Bike Hub Features

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is our previous E-Bike world Champ Alan Hatherly riding? or stuck in SA?

He is.

Also Matt Lombardi and Mariske Strauss

Is our previous E-Bike world Champ Alan Hatherly riding? or stuck in SA?

He has been doing the XCO, so is there

Alan actually got a podium on Sunday.... had to pass a few on the last lap to do it.

The event is on RedBull tv.

I test rode a Giant Ebike on holiday a few years back, could not stop smiling because it was a riot.

but you might be missing the point of cycling and pushing your own limits. 

If all you care about is someone crushing your KOM then you have forgotten what it's all about. 

Three antithetical thoughts in one post?

I really don't get the snobbish attitude in this thread. 

Alan actually got a podium on Sunday.... had to pass a few on the last lap to do it.

The event is on RedBull tv.

5th place and 7th place - I would say he is focusing entirely on the XCO

• 2 weeks later...

Fastest growing segment in the industry world wide is Ebikes. Fastest growing new adventure sport USA. I have no issues if some one riding with us has or does not have an Ebike. It seems a lot of fun and I can vouch for this.

So do ebikes belong on the mountains ?

Or rather ... can ebike riders and other riders co-exist on the same trails ??

On Sunday I rode via the mast, then down Super Tubes to Dairy Shed.  Entering the Super Tubes a gent was standing next to his bike having a sip of water ....

A few swicthbacks later I noticed he was catching me a decent rate ..... (nie my fiets se skuld nie)  I looked out for a spot, stopped, and got out the way just as he caught up.  We greeted in passing and he was GOING down the Super Tubes ....  For a short while I kept him sight, then my sense of self preservation grabbed hold of the brakes ....

And then the trails bottoms out and it is a nice little climb before getting to Cheaky Turns .... half way up the climb my motorbike managed to catch up .... As I came around the bend the gent had pulled aside and let me past.   :thumbup:

NICE to know it is actually possible for the "two worlds" to unite on the trails.  We both had a blast.

I was hoping to see him at Dairy Shed ....

Climbing up to mast, from Hillcrest I past a rider .... he was less impressed ....  :whistling:   He had WORKED up that long climb .... not sure he was that "positive" about ebikes when I wizzed past .....  :ph34r:   now imagine I held him up for a milli-second down the Super Tubes ...  :cursing:   :devil:

live, and let live ....

• 2 weeks later...

A group of us demo'd Specialized Levo SLs. Enough assistance to give you a boost, like you're fitter and stronger than what you actually are. Must be what being a pro feels like. I don't think ebikes like these are an issue on the trails. The turbo mode is overpowered which makes even steep climbs a breeze. We ended up exploring and riding more than usual. It's still a good workout.