Do eBikes belong on the mountain?

Bike Hub Features

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, Andy Arnesan said:

fantastic , you can hang in there with the best climbers, but what skills do you have going down a hill?

A very unique set of skillsĀ 

Edited by Steady Spin

8 hours ago, Andy Arnesan said:

fantastic , you can hang in there with the best climbers, but what skills do you have going down a hill?

does his skillset influence your riding negatively ?Ā 

10 hours ago, aquaratza said:

I don't hold anyone up generally and when I do I'm kind enough to pull over šŸ˜˜

Just as long as the person coming up at a moerse speed behind you on an intermediate or beginner trail doesnt loose his **** mumbling mother f'er, ma se P etc like they do at To**** Happened to a newbie we too out at vasbyt a couple of weekends ago. Least to say, he does not want to ride there again.

4 minutes ago, Eddy Gordo said:

Just as long as the person coming up at a moerse speed behind you on an intermediate or beginner trail doesnt loose his **** mumbling mother f'er, ma se P etc like they do at To**** Happened to a newbie we too out at vasbyt a couple of weekends ago. Least to say, he does not want to ride there again.

Seems like the problem lies with the Strava king, not the ebike rider.

Ā 

I love pinning it down single track too, but that's never an excuse to be rude to another rider that is just trying to enjoy the sport as I am.

23 minutes ago, Trashy said:

Seems like the problem lies with the Strava king, not the ebike rider.

Ā 

I love pinning it down single track too, but that's never an excuse to be rude to another rider that is just trying to enjoy the sport as I am.

Indeed, it is people chasing strava times. Best to do that on the advanced lines and leave the beginner lines to the newbs. Like really, who wants a KOM on a beginner line!!!

On 1/30/2022 at 11:35 AM, aquaratza said:

I did a ride yesterday with friends at Oak Valley, but someone new joined us (I didn't know who they were before hand).

I was questioning whether I should take my non-eBike (Stumpy) or my Levo SL, eventually I decided on the Levo SL. I always worry that people will give me a hard time about the eBike or feel put out by it.

For reference my SL does up to 240w output (vs a "full" Levo which can do up to 580w).

Turned out the "wild card" rider was extremely strong and kept challenging me to races haha. We had a great time.

I used 14% of the internal 320Wh battery over 2 hours, so around 23 Wh average per hour.

So on top of range anxiety, eBikers now have a second phobia "fear of being judged". I mean seriously, Oak Valley. one of the smoothest easiest places to ride any kind of bike and you took your moto? Its so smooth its 26er and hard tail friendly. šŸ™‚Ā šŸ™‚Ā 

57 minutes ago, Eddy Gordo said:

Indeed, it is people chasing strava times. Best to do that on the advanced lines and leave the beginner lines to the newbs. Like really, who wants a KOM on a beginner line!!!

IMO, If we'reĀ  riding with a newb I think its our duty to educate them on trail etiquette. A slow rider needs to understand they're going to be passed and when someone who is faster comes up behind them, they should allow them to pass when its safe to, by stopping if necessary. Its not always about Strava, more often about finding the flow and riding at a pace that your comfy with that allows you to clear features and ride in the way you need to to enjoy it.Ā 

9 minutes ago, Headshot said:

IMO, If we'reĀ  riding with a newb I think its our duty to educate them on trail etiquette. A slow rider needs to understand they're going to be passed and when someone who is faster comes up behind them, they should allow them to pass when its safe to, by stopping if necessary. Its not always about Strava, more often about finding the flow and riding at a pace that your comfy with that allows you to clear features and ride in the way you need to to enjoy it.Ā 

like wise there is no reason for the faster rider to be swearing.

Everyone has to start somewhere, and when you start you are generally much slower than others.

Ā 

My wife will not ride at Big Red Barn anymore for the simple reason that the few times we've been there faster riders have been impatient getting past.Ā  This when we're riding with 2 young kids.

Ā 

But I also blame trails that combine parts of the easy beginner trails with the harder more experienced stuff.

17 minutes ago, Headshot said:

So on top of range anxiety, eBikers now have a second phobia "fear of being judged". I mean seriously, Oak Valley. one of the smoothest easiest places to ride any kind of bike and you took your moto? Its so smooth its 26er and hard tail friendly. šŸ™‚Ā šŸ™‚Ā 

Yeah, I won't ride a hard tail. There are dating apps for that ;)Ā 

TheĀ fear of being judgedĀ is good training for learning to not care, something I clearly need more of.

I had a 26er for a while, it was perfectly capable, I rode most of the TMTBC trails with it (I also owned a 29er Camber at the time and I rode both for fun). I like trying new(and old) stuff because I like the experience... and I like the experience of having the flexibility that comes with an eBike.

1 minute ago, aquaratza said:

Yeah, I won't ride a hard tail. There are dating apps for that ;)Ā 

TheĀ fear of being judgedĀ is good training for learning to not care, something I clearly need more of.

I had a 26er for a while, it was perfectly capable, I rode most of the TMTBC trails with it (I also owned a 29er Camber at the time and I rode both for fun). I like trying new(and old) stuff because I like the experience... and I like the experience of having the flexibility that comes with an eBike.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love an eBike. They do create the opportunity to have some fun on threads like this though.Ā 

I get it about slow riders on the trails.

And a lack of skills.

But not sure why that is an e-bike kind of issue.

The same holds good for guys on normal bikes. Guys riding trails way beyond their skills level and causing hassles.

That's a bike problem not an E-bike problem per se

Edited by rorydewet
spelling

9 minutes ago, rorydewet said:

I get it about slow riders on the trails.

And a lack of skills.

But not sure why that is an e-bike kind of issue.

The same holds good for guys on normal bikes. Guys riding trails way beyond their skills level and causing hassles.

That's a bike problem not an E-bike problem per se

Sure, but an eBike allows more less fit and possibly less competent riders to hit trails they would not normally get to if they only had access to a normal bike.

47 minutes ago, Headshot said:

Sure, but an eBike allows more less fit and possibly less competent riders to hit trails they would not normally get to if they only had access to a normal bike.

really? incompetent riders are e-bikers? wow.Ā