Do eBikes belong on the mountain?

Bike Hub Features

1 hour ago, DuncanDoughnuts said:

Any male in lycra is disgusting .. regardless of the bike they ride.

There are many brands that make comfortable riding pants and loose fitting tops.

Unless you doing a time trial on a TT bike ... there is no need expose yourself to the rest of the word

sure, but the flapping-in-the-wind thing is tedious regardless of what i'm riding.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, lechatnoir said:

sure, but the flapping-in-the-wind thing is tedious regardless of what i'm riding.

I commute in normal clothes.  Every so often the day is wrapped up with a detour including some trails ..... in shorts and T-shirt.

NO thank you !!  No way I want to ride single tracks in such loose clothing ....

Cycling clothes, aka lycra, is one of the most practical evolutions.  

26 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

I commute in normal clothes.  Every so often the day is wrapped up with a detour including some trails ..... in shorts and T-shirt.

NO thank you !!  No way I want to ride single tracks in such loose clothing ....

function over form!

Most 

15 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Most cycling kit is ‘fitted’ these days, even the ‘enduro bro’ shirts…unless you buy 2 sizes too big. Stuff is not early 2000’s baggy anymore, although people dtill buy it like this. I even ride road events in a normal slim fit ‘jogging’ tshirt i and some mtb baggies…which are also slim fit. I dont look or feel like a circus tent in a hurricane at all.

And even the totally unmaintained/overgrown majik trail is not enough to catch loose fitting clothing. Most trails dont come close to catching anything…and then by todays standards…your ~800mm bars will catch first 😁

Plus, from experience…falling your face off in slightly loose fitting clothing is better than falling in a ‘second layer of skin’ 😅

7 minutes ago, Yyyy said:

mmmm... topic is becoming "does Lycra belong on the mountain" 🤔

Dont know what the fuss is. Lycra is comfortable and not all of us have "boeps".

Wear what you want. Just be decent.

Lycra belongs on the road .... and on the track

It’s funny. Started off as “If ebikes should be allowed to ride on the mountains” Then some oke turn it into a fashion discussion. What will be next? Maybe roadies should ask for mtb’s to be banned on tar roads.

Wear what you want, ride what en where you want as long as you are riding. That’s all there is to it.

16 hours ago, zeerpuD1 said:

It’s funny. Started off as “If ebikes should be allowed to ride on the mountains” Then some oke turn it into a fashion discussion. What will be next? Maybe roadies should ask for mtb’s to be banned on tar roads.

Wear what you want, ride what en where you want as long as you are riding. That’s all there is to it.

Yes MTB should be banned from roads, those slow pokes just get in the way and when it's not a slow poke they end up wheel sucking. How can any respectable roadie have a MTB on your wheel?

23 minutes ago, Newbie321 said:

Yes MTB should be banned from roads, those slow pokes just get in the way and when it's not a slow poke they end up wheel sucking. How can any respectable roadie have a MTB on your wheel?

You should see a roadie rage quit when you pass them on the gravel shoulder next to the road because they are going too slow…

Edited by MORNE

There is a Bottelary Hills Marchall that likes to drop me on my e-bike ... :eek:

DAMN, he is one fast rider .....

Each time we start playing his riding buddies are left far far behind .... and yes, he drops me good and proper .....

EDIT -

1.  This happens on the return leg of my road rides on my HT.  (not on the Bottelary trails)

2. I will be doing about 30km/h on the flats and he just glides past me ....

3. The slight downs I am doing close on 40km/h (way outside of the e-assist), and he just pulls a gap on me

4. Uphills I use full boost and manage close on 30km/h, and at best I hold the gap ... as soon as I let up he stretches the gap even further.

According to his riding buddies he is a Pro-MTB rider.

Absolute respect to this young rider :thumbup:

e-bikes are nice .... good legs are SO much nicer :clap:

Edited by ChrisF

16 hours ago, zeerpuD1 said:

🤷‍♂️i did state clearly at the beginning of my post that i was making an offtopic comment(OT) about a general observation regarding the tightness of the avarage  mamil’s clothing on enduro sized e-bikes that are allegedly used on mountains…

Mah oke😅

Ever hooked your loose fitting baggies on your saddle when trying to get far back for a dropoff?

I have.

Nuff said.

Hey you can ride in your wife beater sleeveless vest and all the kit you want but a good bib short that is tight fitting is really also the only thing to use on a muddy day on an MTB, unless you really like getting mud and gravel in your crack 10kms in to a 120km stage.

Again i can talk from experience.

32 minutes ago, Paul Ruinaard said:

Ever hooked your loose fitting baggies on your saddle when trying to get far back for a dropoff?

I have.

Nuff said.

Hey you can ride in your wife beater sleeveless vest and all the kit you want but a good bib short that is tight fitting is really also the only thing to use on a muddy day on an MTB, unless you really like getting mud and gravel in your crack 10kms in to a 120km stage.

Again i can talk from experience.

Yes, but again..fitted purpose made mtb baggies and mtb clothing are not generally 'baggy'.

Rode Around the Pot this year in my bibs (only my bibs with my weatherproof top)....still had mud in my crack halfway in..pretty sure everyone did at some stage. So they are not 'ingress proof'. ask all the omo foamo's you pass in a wet race haha.

And most days i ride with my bib under whatever i choose, because they tend to stay in one place over a long ride better.

Edited by MORNE