Do eBikes belong on the mountain?

Bike Hub Features

Unless someone Is forcing you to ride an e-bike I don’t see the problem. It’s like people complaining about LGBGT+ vibe, is why worry about something that doesn’t effect you? An E biker doesn’t decrease your enjoyment of the trails any more than a noob on a Spez getting in the way. I’m

Speaking of which.

I had a long conversation with a YZ450 this morning, over a pumpkin latte. It tells me that it now identifies as a steel frame single MTB.

Based on this, we have formed a pack that I will ride this Single Speed at the Cape Epic next year.

Please do not dead-name the bike, its rude, and I expect to get all the respect and adoration for finishing the Cape Epic on a SS.

Edited by Patchelicious

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hahahaha.Well my steel bike might beg to differ with your YZ pal. I think we might have to set up an intervention...

There is no place for this type of intolerance! 

Yes you're right. An eBike is the same as a bicycle just as your YZ is a ss steel steed. I just woke up.

I had this convo with someone yesterday in fact about E-bikes and in my personal opinion belong anywhere unless a racing category with normal bikes or if you going to try smash Kom's and claim them as a normal effort. 

They get people out to ride and exercise who typically wouldnt or cant due to their mates / wives / husbands / kids being stronger than them and it get them to do exercise. 

Im all for it, hope they keep growing in sales and people get out there to ride.

Now if you changed that YZ for YT!

Speaking of which.

I had a long conversation with a YZ450 this morning, over a pumpkin latte. It tells me that it now identifies as a steel frame single MTB.

Based on this, we have formed a pack that I will ride this Single Speed at the Cape Epic next year.

Please do not dead-name the bike, its rude, and I expect to get all the respect and adoration for finishing the Cape Epic on a SS.

Speaking of which.

Post of the day.

I had this convo with someone yesterday in fact about E-bikes and in my personal opinion belong anywhere unless a racing category with normal bikes or if you going to try smash Kom's and claim them as a normal effort. 

They get people out to ride and exercise who typically wouldnt or cant due to their mates / wives / husbands / kids being stronger than them and it get them to do exercise. 

Im all for it, hope they keep growing in sales and people get out there to ride.

This is a two way street, just as it can get non-exercises to be guerilla marketed into doing some exercise, it can also get well adjusted cyclists in a moment of weakness to become coach potatoes.  The decline starts with one battery assisted pedal.....

Remember what Katie Perry said "I kissed a girl and I liked it", and now there are gender confused millenniums wearing man-buns and skirts.....

Edited by Paddaman

This is a two way street, just as it can get non-exercises to be guerilla marketed into doing some exercise, it can also get well adjusted cyclists in a moment of weakness to become coach potatoes.  The decline starts with one battery assisted pedal.....

Remember what Katie Perry said "I kissed a girl and I liked it", and now there are gender confused millenniums wearing man-buns and skirts and riding eBikes.....

:P

The only person I will not frown at for riding an e-bike is Patrick Roberts from Tygerberg MTB fame, who was sponsored one by Giant DVille for his weekly recce of the trail state. It is a 140 odd kilometer network of trails, and the only way to manage the trail conditions is to ride it. Doing that on a normal bike every week would make one either equivalent to the Hulk, or you'd be so kaput by the end of it that no further useful input from yourself could reasonably be expected by anyone for the rest of the week.

***this as confessed to by the weekly club newsletter

Really, can you be so close minded? 

How about this lady who is not a well known trail builder?

electric-bikes-raleigh-electric-weight-l

My name is Rhonda Martin. On February 7, 2012, I weighed 457 pounds. I was 40 years old and my health was declining quickly. I could only walk about 150 steps at a time before I was winded and exhausted. I decided I was tired of just existing and wanted to live again.

I started off by just focusing on one healthy meal a day. Once I became comfortable with that, I added another healthy meal. I bought a pedometer and challenged myself to walk just 100 more steps each day. It was at this point that I discovered electric bikes while working with Chuck at an Expo. After walking by the bikes about 10 times, I decided to try it.

more here

http://www.prettydamnedfast.com/blog/raleigh-ebike

she now rides to work

E-bikes changed her life.

electric-bikes-raleigh-electric-redux-ri

if you don't think she should have an e-bike, then you're an A$$hole.

As a country with huge health issues and rampant obesity, e-bikes are an amazing way to get people back into shape. I can even see disco and the rest using it for rewards.

for those who don't want to believe hype and marketing, here is some science

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27299435

Pedelecs as a physically active transportation mode.
Abstract
INTRODUCTION:

Pedelecs are bicycles that provide electric assistance only when a rider is pedaling and have become increasingly popular.

PURPOSE:

Our purpose was to quantify usage patterns over 4 weeks of real-world commuting with a pedelec and to determine if pedelec use would improve cardiometabolic risk factors.

METHODS:

Twenty sedentary commuters visited the laboratory for baseline physiological measurements [body composition, maximum oxygen consumption ([Formula: see text]), mean arterial blood pressure (MAP), blood lipid profile, and 2-h oral glucose tolerance test (OGTT)]. The following 4 weeks, participants were instructed to commute using a pedelec at least 3 days week(-1) for 40 min day(-1) while wearing a heart rate monitor and a GPS device. Metabolic equivalents (METS) were estimated from heart rate data. Following the intervention, we repeated the physiological measurements.

RESULTS:

Average total distance and time were 317.9 ± 113.8 km and 15.9 ± 3.4 h, respectively. Participants averaged 4.9 ± 1.2 METS when riding. Four weeks of pedelec commuting significantly improved 2-h post-OGTT glucose (5.53 ± 1.18-5.03 ± 0.91 mmol L(-1), p < 0.05), [Formula: see text] (2.21 ± 0.48-2.39 ± 0.52 L min(-1), p < 0.05), and end of [Formula: see text] test power output (165.1 ± 37.1-189.3 ± 38.2 W, p < 0.05). There were trends for improvements in MAP (84.6 ± 10.5-83.2 ± 9.4 mmHg, p = 0.15) and fat mass (28.6 ± 11.3-28.2 ± 11.4 kg, p = 0.07).

CONCLUSION:

Participants rode a pedelec in the real world at a self-selected moderate intensity, which helped them meet physical activity recommendations. Pedelec commuting also resulted in significant improvements in 2-h post-OGTT glucose, [Formula: see text], and power output. Pedelecs are an effective form of active transportation that can improve some cardiometabolic risk factors within only 4 weeks.

Remember what Katie Perry said "I kissed a girl and I liked it", and now there are gender confused millenniums wearing man-buns and skirts.....

aren't we mister glass is half empty this morning?

Edited by Evans_Cuddles

Really, can you be so close minded? 

How about this lady who is not a well known trail builder?

electric-bikes-raleigh-electric-weight-l

My name is Rhonda Martin. On February 7, 2012, I weighed 457 pounds. I was 40 years old and my health was declining quickly. I could only walk about 150 steps at a time before I was winded and exhausted. I decided I was tired of just existing and wanted to live again.

I started off by just focusing on one healthy meal a day. Once I became comfortable with that, I added another healthy meal. I bought a pedometer and challenged myself to walk just 100 more steps each day. It was at this point that I discovered electric bikes while working with Chuck at an Expo. After walking by the bikes about 10 times, I decided to try it.

more here

http://www.prettydamnedfast.com/blog/raleigh-ebike

she now rides to work

E-bikes changed her life.

electric-bikes-raleigh-electric-redux-ri

if you don't think she should have an e-bike, then you're an A$$hole.

As a country with huge health issues and rampant obesity, e-bikes are an amazing way to get people back into shape. I can even see disco and the rest using it for rewards.

Ok, who, or rather how many people would think that she shouldn't have eBike? Really, who??

Stop posting these fringe cases, which intentionally circumvent the argument that "most people are pro eBike, JUST NOT IN RACES" purely for the sake of arguing.

FFS do you people not get sick of LOOKING for reasons to argue with each other?

If you honestly think that most people here think that she shouldn't ride an eBike, then YOU are the a$$hole.

for those who don't want to believe hype and marketing, here is some science

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27299435

Pedelecs as a physically active transportation mode.
Abstract
INTRODUCTION:

Pedelecs are bicycles that provide electric assistance only when a rider is pedaling and have become increasingly popular.

PURPOSE:

Our purpose was to quantify usage patterns over 4 weeks of real-world commuting with a pedelec and to determine if pedelec use would improve cardiometabolic risk factors.

METHODS:

Twenty sedentary commuters visited the laboratory for baseline physiological measurements [body composition, maximum oxygen consumption ([Formula: see text]), mean arterial blood pressure (MAP), blood lipid profile, and 2-h oral glucose tolerance test (OGTT)]. The following 4 weeks, participants were instructed to commute using a pedelec at least 3 days week(-1) for 40 min day(-1) while wearing a heart rate monitor and a GPS device. Metabolic equivalents (METS) were estimated from heart rate data. Following the intervention, we repeated the physiological measurements.

RESULTS:

Average total distance and time were 317.9 ± 113.8 km and 15.9 ± 3.4 h, respectively. Participants averaged 4.9 ± 1.2 METS when riding. Four weeks of pedelec commuting significantly improved 2-h post-OGTT glucose (5.53 ± 1.18-5.03 ± 0.91 mmol L(-1), p < 0.05), [Formula: see text] (2.21 ± 0.48-2.39 ± 0.52 L min(-1), p < 0.05), and end of [Formula: see text] test power output (165.1 ± 37.1-189.3 ± 38.2 W, p < 0.05). There were trends for improvements in MAP (84.6 ± 10.5-83.2 ± 9.4 mmHg, p = 0.15) and fat mass (28.6 ± 11.3-28.2 ± 11.4 kg, p = 0.07).

CONCLUSION:

Participants rode a pedelec in the real world at a self-selected moderate intensity, which helped them meet physical activity recommendations. Pedelec commuting also resulted in significant improvements in 2-h post-OGTT glucose, [Formula: see text], and power output. Pedelecs are an effective form of active transportation that can improve some cardiometabolic risk factors within only 4 weeks.

aren't we mister glass is half empty this morning?

Do you own a pedal assist motorbike shop by any chance? 

Ok, who, or rather how many people would think that she shouldn't have eBike? Really, who??

Stop posting these fringe cases, which intentionally circumvent the argument that "most people are pro eBike, JUST NOT IN RACES" purely for the sake of arguing.

FFS do you people not get sick of LOOKING for reasons to argue with each other?

If you honestly think that most people here think that she shouldn't ride an eBike, then YOU are the a$$hole.

You know I bet she'd be slimmer and fitter if she had simply started riding a real bike...

Almost.

It’s more like everybody being super cool with transgens, until they start racing in and beating the ladies.

I was thinking about it on the ride in and the similarities are rather close!

Speaking of which.

Spot on!

Only problem was I had to google YZ450