Do eBikes belong on the mountain?

Bike Hub Features

We can go around and around, but if you look at the forecast, there will be more and more of these bikes on the trails in future.  More of the races will include an e-bike category.  This will not change, who knows in a few years they might even have the ebikes road start in front of the tandem group.

So if you have a problem with e-bikes, what are you going to do about it because talking will not stop the tide.  If you feel strong about engage with the organisers of races and for them it will be a number games, if enough pedal rider vs e-bike riders complain they might exclude e-bikes.  Else it is just something you will need to get use too.  

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We can go around and around, but if you look at the forecast, there will be more and more of these bikes on the trails in future.  More of the races will include an e-bike category.  This will not change, who knows in a few years they might even have the ebikes road start in front of the tandem group.

So if you have a problem with e-bikes, what are you going to do about it because talking will not stop the tide.  If you feel strong about engage with the organisers of races and for them it will be a number games, if enough pedal rider vs e-bike riders complain they might exclude e-bikes.  Else it is just something you will need to get use too.  

I have heared some pro's put out the same argument about doping

Edited by Paddaman

I had an encounter with an ebike rider on Chappies just before the CT Cycle Tour this year. I was out training and riding the route in the opposite direction, climbing Chappies from HB side when an elderly gent around 70yrs old plus came cruising past me.

I wasn't climbing too slowly at the time (well I didn't think so) and it took me a while to realize he was an ebike (commuter type jobbie) and during this lag time he pulled quite a gap on me.

My brain processed this and then I thought "stuff you old man" and started climbing tempo to catch him. Well it took me some time but I eventually pulled him back but by the time I got to him my HR was so high I could barely chat to him and ask him about his bike.

Anyway, about 2mins later, with us still climbing at a decent lick his elderly wife came cruising past both of us and he shouted "oh here you are love, I've been waiting for you"... then a quick "thanks for the chat" and off they went into the distance, leaving my ego absolutely shattered :wacko:

Edited by Buff_SA

are you trying LOGIC ????

wrong crowd .....

Going to need more than 50km/h to take my KOM’s [emoji51][emoji51][emoji51]

What about the downhill, downwind ones?

Rode the Cycle Lab test Ebikes at the 94.7 Mtb expo yesterday... they're coming folks, like it or not. They will definitely get more people out on the trails... 

And luckily we all ride for our own personal reasons, so what others do will fortunately not detract from the great pleasure we all already enjoy pedaling our bikes  :thumbup:

There is always sabotage !!!

I had an encounter with an ebike rider on Chappies just before the CT Cycle Tour this year. I was out training and riding the route in the opposite direction, climbing Chappies from HB side when an elderly gent around 70yrs old plus came cruising past me.

I wasn't climbing too slowly at the time (well I didn't think so) and it took me a while to realize he was an ebike (commuter type jobbie) and during this lag time he pulled quite a gap on me.

My brain processed this and then I thought "stuff you old man" and started climbing tempo to catch him. Well it took me some time but I eventually pulled him back but by the time I got to him my HR was so high I could barely chat to him and ask him about his bike.

Anyway, about 2mins later, with us still climbing at a decent lick his elderly wife came cruising past both of us and he shouted "oh here you are love, I've been waiting for you"... then a quick "thanks for the chat" and off they went into the distance, leaving my ego absolutely shattered :wacko:

You see, this is what happens to us when these things are allowed out. Their owners pretend they are cyclists but in fact are very different. I like the analogy of a guy with a hang glider trying to outfly iron man. The only time you have a chance is when the battery goes flat.

I have heared some pro's put out the same argument about doping

Should that not have been in comic sans, as it is not really the same is it?

Should that not have been in comic sans, as it is not really the same is it?

Depends.  It is external assistance in both cases.

Maybe it is time to start a new sport called e-biking.  In this instance, each competitor gets one battery cell.  Obviously the course must be much longer than the range on the power in the battery.  He must then plan his usage wisely.  Does he cycle economy mode and use the power at the end?  Does he recharge on the downhills? 

The viewership will be even more than the TdF especially on the last 100km of the first day, when all the batteries are finished......