Do eBikes belong on the mountain?

Bike Hub Features

eeeeeuuuw...what are those? 16"s? Everybody knows if it doesn't have 29"you aren't cool anymore...

16" AND an E-bike?...man you are going to get pitchforked :ph34r:

I'd like to take these on the tygerberg trails and see people freak out. 

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/333036-e-bike-tours-on-proper-trails-on-levos/?source=topad

Can anyone please explain why someone will pay that amount to ride bikes with that price on trails where you can buy day permits for much cheaper?????

You are paying for bike rental and maintenance... I'm assuming this is aimed at tourists, or people that do not have bikes in the area. Normal bike rental is expensive (R800-R1200) per day. These are e-bikes, so maintenance and initial cost is more - so you as the customer will pay more to rielde them. And... it is a business.

I won't be a customer, and I am probably gonna be annoyed when I encounter a group of e-tourists out on the trail, but I think it's good for mtb in Western Cape - more funding to trails means more trails (that is assuming a portion of these guys profits go into the trails they are using).

• 3 weeks later...

I had a chance to ride the new Levo this weekend , whhhhho whoooooo this is the best fun I had on a mountain in 25 years! The fastest growing segment of biking in the world. For good reason.

There is always resistance to the unknown till you try it. We us MTB BIKERS did not want suspension on bike years ago ,the claim it was to much like a motocross.. then the massive pavlova with pages and pages of haters of the 29ers. Then it was the pages of comments on the forum moving from 3x8 to 2x10 and then pages of comments of when it went to a 1x10 ahhh what a frenzy we reached, the same thing with Ebikes. Yes they great and not for every one, I not selling my bike just yet but I will tell you a whole lot of people that could not enjoy MTB will no discover this great adverure sport with a passion!

Like most things in life, they have their place.

Yes, whether or not they are permitted in events is debatable, and the purists will always poo-poo them.

But one of their purposes is aiding those that struggle to ride (whether injury, ailments, or just poor fitness) to get out on trails. That in itself is a good thing.

Recently a friend of mine (and author of the book From Para to Dakar) posted this on his FB:

post-10758-0-35003400-1543789453_thumb.png

The blood stains are a joke... I hope  :ph34r: :lol:

I remember not long after he started gaining movement in his legs after his accident, but before he hopped back on a motorcycle, he went and bought himself a GT Force/Marathon because he challenged himself to turn some pedals. He succeeded and even managed a few slow and careful laps of the old Teak Place BMX track.

Not long after that he was back on the dirt bikes. The MTB gave him the confidence that his core and legs could hold up to 2 wheeled off-road transport. Fast forward some years and he was completing off-road rallies (some even in Malle Moto class), and even the 2017 Dakar rally.

But as seriously impressive as that is, a simple 2-3hr Cradle or Spruit ride is outta reach. That is where the eBike comes in and makes up the difference.

Edited by patches

Mechanical Dopers - stay of the trails and away from the cycling events.

Edit: And the mountains!  

Edited by The Commuter

**** me there is a massive amount of bitter and narrow minded dick heads on this forum.......and I don't even own a e-bike, but I have never had any issues sharing trails with them or going group rides which include them.

I reckon the people complaining were the same people complaining about disc brakes, or when 29er's emerged on the market..

Just go ride your bike man...there is a life and identity for you lot out there, outside strava you know...

Mechanical Dopers - stay of the trails and away from the cycling events.

Edit: And the mountains!

But blood dopers are fine, they can even promo bikes etc? Yeah we should just accept all dopers as we have done for years