[Event] FNB Magalies Monster MTB Classic

Stillwater_MTB_Events

I have to agree. Those rocky descends were not ideal for beginners, with no real place for people walking them to get out of the way.

The organisers missed the mark with the 15km funride. 340m elevation over 15km!

Rode with my sister and felt sorry for the moms and dads who took their young kids out on this ride. Good thing I decided to leave my 3yr old at grandma instead of taking him with in the carrier like I normally do on short rides.

Out and back on the same route is also always a disaster.

Saw a broken ankle, bloody nose and on a funride.what the hell

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Once again it was an awesome event. The shorter *marathon route this year did not make it much easier. I got to the top of the monster climb in good shape but after the descent my rear brake gave up on me. Having limited braking made the rest of the race quite scary. Suffered my way back home from there cramping quite badly in the last 15km.

We also did the 8km trail run this morning to round off another successful monster weekend. Will be back next year to improve on my times.

post-26739-0-04326500-1496600390_thumb.jpg

Taken just next to the waterpoint at the top of the monster climb.

Edited by rvdm1

opted for the half marathon this year, what a jol, had a good time... some lakker climbs and some awesome rocky downhills.

fun day out and great vibe on trails 

Fun day on the half... pity about the merging thing at the end... would have loved to ride more of the downs but had to get out of the way for the riders on the long most of them screaming at us to get out of the way when there were only one line.... not nice.... bad from the organisers....

Did the 12km run yesterday... turned out to be 13.5km.... simply had no legs after the ride :)  Nice route though with the river boulder scramble thing :)

I think the organizers have obviously made a massive balls up merging the races together.

And although I get the race snakes think they should take priority on the same trail that others have paid for as well . I kinda get it as they are racing. But and a big but everybody has paid for there race and the distance they are doing,But from what ppl have put in this thread if it were me doing the half at my full pace and I get screamed to get out of the way causing me not to be able to ride some of the fun stuff. I would have a massive problem with that .

Edited by Pikey

I have to agree. Those rocky descends were not ideal for beginners, with no real place for people walking them to get out of the way. 

Yip.............I have to agree. An awesome ride/route, but the merging of the 15km with the 33/66 routes not a good idea at all. The monster ride has been going for years................do the organisers not learn anything from previous experiences??.................I can only shake my head sometimes and wonder..............

Did my first Marathon on Saturday and have to say I feel very chuffed having come in at 4:43. Managed the route well but got to say the downhill's are to technical for my current skills and will have to work on that as they had me killed. Its a good challenge.

Will be better prepared next yeaR

I think the organizers have obviously made a massive balls up merging the races together.

And although I get the race snakes think they should take priority on the same trail that others have paid for as well . I kinda get it as they are racing. But and a big but everybody has paid for there race and the distance they are doing,But from what ppl have put in this thread if it were me doing the half at my full pace and I get screamed to get out of the way causing me not to be able to ride some of the fun stuff. I would have a massive problem with that .

Personally I think the A and B batches of the half and full marathon should start before the rest.

ie A full 5min A half 5min B full 5min B half

or something similar

Personally I think the A and B batches of the half and full marathon should start before the rest.

ie A full 5min A half 5min B full 5min B half

or something similar

i didn't do the race ( I did the Spur Heidelberg mountain bike challenge for hope...what a mess that was) but I do think I remember seeing there was 10min between batches . I stand under correction. I never invested anything in this race and kinda glad I didn't. Although the other race wasn't worth the time anyway.

But yea I agree,there should be sufficient time between batches and if they have to merge the route it needs to be done more timely .

i didn't do the race ( I did the Spur Heidelberg mountain bike challenge for hope...what a mess that was) but I do think I remember seeing there was 10min between batches . I stand under correction. I never invested anything in this race and kinda glad I didn't. Although the other race wasn't worth the time anyway.

But yea I agree,there should be sufficient time between batches and if they have to merge the route it needs to be done more timely .

Did you do the 75km?

Heard there were a few marking errors

Any idea how the organisers identified those marathon riders that chose to take the split at 13km and do the half, and then finish the half, but end up on the marathon results with their half-marathon time?

Some seriously suspecious results on that list.  :whistling:

They should rename the race "Do you like rock gardens?"

Ended up bailing on the 66km and just doing the 33 because I ate something dodgy on Friday and spent most of the night getting rid of it. Was feeling better by the morning but I was scared to eat anything and riding that route with no food in me seemed like a terrible idea.

Managed to do a fairly spectacular OTB on the major rocky downhill but thankfully no serious injuries (my left side is more bruise than not though).

Will have to be back next year to do the full length.

Once again it was an awesome event. The shorter route this year did not make it much easier. I got to the top of the monster climb in good shape but after the descent my rear brake gave up on me. Having limited braking made the rest of the race quite scary. Suffered my way back home from there cramping quite badly in the last 15km.

We also did the 8km trail run this morning to round off another successful monster weekend. Will be back next year to improve on my times.

attachicon.gifmonster.jpg

Taken just next to the waterpoint at the top of the monster climb.

As far as I know the shorter route does not include the monster itself?

It will be my first, doing it on 29er carbon 1x11. We did Breedtsnek on saturday from Hekpoort (61km) and it was ok so I think I should finish decently on Saturdat.Int

Im interested to find out if you finished decently as expected ?

As far as I know the shorter route does not include the monster itself?

No, it doesn't. The marathon was +/-67km this year vs +/-73km last year, that is what I was referring to in my post.

Good gracious, it was hard. Its not a race for average weekend Joe and Jane...

Relentless. New route was harder. The downhills give you no chance of resting.

In fact it was just terrible

Feel sorry for those who did the half and fun ride. Must have caught them out something horrid, there are some nasty surprises in wait - that ascent that came around 50km..

Finished in 4:21 which considering I'd been out of action for a month I'll take it.