CT Cycle Tour: Suggestion to change to 1st weekend of April

buchanan

Much less chance of strong winds affecting the race in April compared with March.

People may say that it's the first time that the race has been cancelled, so no need to change the date. But 2009 would almost certainly also have been cancelled given concerns about health and safety nowadays.

Also by April the hot, dry fire season is more or less over so there is a much lower chance of mountain fires - which affected the route 2 years ago (2015) and shortened the race to 47km.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How long did it take to change the Expo venue.?

But I guess we can keep asking/proposing...

Remember, you'll never satisfy everybody all the time.

I think with Easter having a 3 week swing things are really difficult to plan this time of year in Cape Town.

Last year Easter was in March. The end of March, which meant OMTOM was on the Saturday.

I think the CTCT should be held in October. It would mean guys doing the Epic and Iron Man don't have to have sleepless nights wondering about group crashes and shattered scapulas, the roads over Christmas won't be congested with cyclists AND Vaalies... 

The weather is generally pleasant but cooler and less breezy.... 

I don't really know what the implications are to be fair, but this time of year is just too busy and too uncertain.

Edited by Jewbacca

I think with Easter having a 3 week swing things are really difficult to plan this time of year in Cape Town.

Last year Easter was in March. The end of March, which meant OMTOM was on the Saturday.

I think the CTCT should be held in October. It would mean guys doing the Epic and Iron Man don't have to have sleepless nights wondering about group crashes and shattered scapulas, the roads over Christmas won't be congested with cyclists AND Vaalies... 

I don't really know what the implications are to be fair, but this time of year is just too busy and too uncertain.

The problem with October is it then forces riders to train hard through July, August, September, which are effectively winter months.  The days are short (in Jul/Aug) and the weather not so good.  There are also a lack of warm up races (if any) in the weeks/months leading up to October. So almost all riders will be much less raced and at a lower peak of form than what they can achieve by late March/April by when they've got a whole summer of training and hard racing in their legs.

October also way too risky in CT. You could either have an early raging Black South-Easter or a winter storm with snow and the hectic North Wester that goes with it.

Also, too many people will be recovering from winter colds and flu.

Edited by Moridin

I'm sure the tourism industry appreciate us Vaalies over December, with or without bikes.

Thanks for the thread - I am sure all of us have been debating the merits of changing Argus dates now.

I was thinking of mid June - possibly July - specifically the weekend after the Knysna road race - that way it is a second stop for committed cyclists, practically zero chance of fire, or hot weather meaning a full day event will present little concerns about heat stroke and riding in rain is not great but I'll take it over gales.

Now here's some wishful thinking, imagine a double header weekend, stellenbosch cycle tour on Saturday morning and argus on Sunday morning in July - two races in two days - perfect for travelers, kill two birds with one trip.

Also for international cyclists, it is perfect, slap bang in their summer of cyclo-sportif fun

Now taking the idea to it's ultimate conclusion is to have the even hosted twice a year, once in Summer - current date (second sunday in March) and then also in Winter (July) - you can do both if you like or one if you like.

As far as the practicality of it goes - unsure? but am more than convinced it won't take much to convince authorities to get on board considering the amount of revenue, hype, publicity etc the event generates, now they will get it twice a year $$$$$$

thoughts...

Thanks for the thread - I am sure all of us have been debating the merits of changing Argus dates now.

I was thinking of mid June - possibly July - specifically the weekend after the Knysna road race - that way it is a second stop for committed cyclists, practically zero chance of fire, or hot weather meaning a full day event will present little concerns about heat stroke and riding in rain is not great but I'll take it over gales.

Now here's some wishful thinking, imagine a double header weekend, stellenbosch cycle tour on Saturday morning and argus on Sunday morning in July - two races in two days - perfect for travelers, kill two birds with one trip.

Also for international cyclists, it is perfect, slap bang in their summer of cyclo-sportif fun

Now taking the idea to it's ultimate conclusion is to have the even hosted twice a year, once in Summer - current date (second sunday in March) and then also in Winter (July) - you can do both if you like or one if you like.

As far as the practicality of it goes - unsure? but am more than convinced it won't take much to convince authorities to get on board considering the amount of revenue, hype, publicity etc the event generates, now they will get it twice a year $$$$$$

thoughts...

middle of winter - brilliant idea.

We might have to forgo the skills of Phil Ligget as he'll be busy at the tour de france but sure can manage with Owen and Johnny

:) 

Holding it in July in the middle of winter isn't practical.  Can frequently get hectic wind and rainstorms, plus it's just not a practical time to train when the mornings and early evenings are pitch black.

Holding it in July in the middle of winter isn't practical.  Can frequently get hectic wind and rainstorms, plus it's just not a practical time to train when the mornings and early evenings are pitch black.

Agreed with everything you said, but I want us to dream and just maybe in all of it's insanity lies some semblance of reason...

after all - we have the knysna cycle race in mid July, and a winter day means a later start (more light) and generally a cooler day negating the effects of a long day out for some.

Wouldn't it be cool to rekindle that argus competitiveness mid year again?

PS: Who trains for 100km anyway ;) do that on a cup of tea and a bad mood :)