Warranty issue. (advice required)

MitchConway

Hi all,
So I am not new to the Hub however this is my first forum post. So basically I cracked my S works Epic 2015 frame that i bought brand new in 2016. The crack is situated on the seat post collar and i first noticed it when i hear a strange noise going of a couple roots. On the 20th of December (a day after noticing the crack) i took the frame to my local spez store where i purchased the bike from. They were incredibly helpful in suggesting the steps to go about a warranty claim. Needless to say they sent my frame over to Capetown for specialized head office to take a look. I waited an entire month (after being told it will take 14 days) just for the frame to be assessed and confirmed for a crack. I received a run down of the crack and how it has happened on many other frames as a result of over tightening the seatpost clamp and that warranty would not be granted. This struck me because my bike was literally just back from a fitment (with spez store) where they obviously do everything with torque wrenches. So obviously i had something to say and my bike shop backed me up and sent a follow on email stating they handled the bike etc. Another month later I receive an email just stating that my frame is back and a warranty has not been granted? Im not sure if this is a common issue that anyone else has experienced but it has really left me stranded for options. Im not exactly where to go from here? I know carbon repairing is an option but this obviously brings with it lower value of bike etc. Do i have a reason to be upset by these decisions or is this common practice? Any suggestions on how to go about this would be greatly appreciated. 
Kind regards Mitch 

P.S I will try attach the spez review when i learn how.

Edited by Mitch 16

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive got my popcorn for this one.

If your lbs is a spez dealer and the overtightened it they should back the warrantee.

Post pics of the damage too

I know of someone who had the exact same issue, the same explanation of cause, but the frame was replaced. It was however not a Spez bike or a Spez dealer.

Is it impossible for you to have ever fallen in any possible manner whatsoever that could have caused the seat tube to have cracked in the manner it did? It just seems like its an easy out for them. On who is the onus of proof of the cause of the crack?

Pay the money, save the stress and get a Santa cruz.my Giant carbon frame lasted 8 months as the bb completely debonded. Gert from giant called it 'irregular use'.still not sure what they meant. Just thankful those jokers dont have the santa cruz agency anymore.

If they weren't offered the opportunity to check the torque on the seat post clamp before disassemble it's pure speculation. I would go over their head to spez global.

I think you have good reason to be upset, after all you bought a well known brand that is supposed to back their product.

Edited by Tony datoy

If spez SA says it because of overtighting the seatpost and you just had your local Spez dealer do a fit where they adjusted the bolt i would ask them nicely for a new frame.

Hi all,

So I am not new to the Hub however this is my first forum post. So basically I cracked my S works Epic 2015 frame that i bought brand new in 2016. The crack is situated on the seat post collar and i first noticed it when i hear a strange noise going of a couple roots. On the 20th of December (a day after noticing the crack) i took the frame to my local spez store where i purchased the bike from. They were incredibly helpful in suggesting the steps to go about a warranty claim. Needless to say they sent my frame over to Capetown for specialized head office to take a look. I waited an entire month (after being told it will take 14 days) just for the frame to be assessed and confirmed for a crack. I received a run down of the crack and how it has happened on many other frames as a result of over tightening the seatpost clamp and that warranty would not be granted. This struck me because my bike was literally just back from a fitment (with spez store) where they obviously do everything with torque wrenches. So obviously i had something to say and my bike shop backed me up and sent a follow on email stating they handled the bike etc. Another month later I receive an email just stating that my frame is back and a warranty has not been granted? Im not sure if this is a common issue that anyone else has experienced but it has really left me stranded for options. Im not exactly where to go from here? I know carbon repairing is an option but this obviously brings with it lower value of bike etc. Do i have a reason to be upset by these decisions or is this common practice? Any suggestions on how to go about this would be greatly appreciated. 

Kind regards Mitch 

P.S I will try attach the spez review when i learn how.

I have stood next to techs in the shop where they did not use torque wrenches 

Another Spez warranty issue and they make excuses,damn I have heard this a lot lately. It seems like Spez don't really stand by their products and don't really care about their customers.

Valuable lesson learnt, stay away from crappy spez (even though i own one i will never buy it new) rather go santa cruz instead after sales service is top quality.

I have spent a lot of time in workshops in Pretoria. The thing I have noticed very often, is the lack of the use of torque wrenches. I do most of the work on my bike myself and I swear by them.

On the warranty issue, it is not product failure during normal use. Thus not a warranty claim. That is off course if they can prove that it cracked due to over-tightening of the seatpost collar. If your local bike shop owned up to it, they should give you a new frame...

In a standard bike service, is it protocol to remove the seatpost, clean it and put it back? I would've thought that they shouldn't even fiddle with it, as they can mess up the bike setup.

I don't think you are going to get a new frame from the bike shop, and it is not worth it fighting with them.

In a standard bike service, is it protocol to remove the seatpost, clean it and put it back? I would've thought that they shouldn't even fiddle with it, as they can mess up the bike setup.

I don't think you are going to get a new frame from the bike shop, and it is not worth it fighting with them.

If its bot your fault how can you not get upset? Especially after waiting that length of time only to be told "sorry sir not a valid claim"

I have realised that a warranty claim is not worth the paper its written on - if you manage to get a warranty replacement then well done....if there is any room for movement from providers to get out of a warranty claim they will - I have just been through this with scott....rather insure your bike and use that channel...

I have realised that a warranty claim is not worth the paper its written on - if you manage to get a warranty replacement then well done....if there is any room for movement from providers to get out of a warranty claim they will - I have just been through this with scott....rather insure your bike and use that channel...

Yes, rather have non-claiming insurance customers subsidise other's mistakes...