Man shot while riding bicycle left critically injured in Brakfontein

Nancy Drew

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just caught the tail-end of a 947 radio news item, mentioning a MTBer who was shot this am and had his bike stolen whilst riding in the E Rand, R101??

Anyone confirming?

Faaark.

I guess my pepper spray gives me a false sense of security when faced with real weapons. And real criminals.

Speedy Recovery!! Very sad. Nothing we can do against a gun.

I use to ride on my own every weekend from my house to the cradle and back, now I don't feel save anymore. Only ride with groups now. 

This was posted on facebook from Centurion concerned citizens.

Update: A policeman was shot and a police vehicle hijacked this morning in Katberg str, The Reeds, Centurion. It is believed the hijackers took one policeman with and later abandoned the SAPS vehicle in Samrand after they hijacked an Audi Q5. Unconfirmed reports suggest SAPS responded to a house robbery and found the robbery in progress. The robbers engaged the SAPS members and a shootout followed. At least five shots were fired. The robbers abandoned their stolen vehicle and took the Police vehicle with one SAPS member inside and fled. Two other robbers fled on foot. The police vehicle collided with another vehicle on SAmrand rd driving extremely reckless and into oncoming traffic. In Samrand the robbers hijacked a Audi Q5 and abandoned the SAPS vehicle and policeman. In the meantime one of the robbers on foot shot a passerby on the R101 and robbed him of his bicycle. The SAPS member only sustained a flesh wound to his leg. It is also believed the robbers took a R5 rifle. The Audi was also recovered in Ivory Park, no suspects.

Update: A policeman was shot and a police vehicle hijacked this morning in Katberg str, The Reeds, Centurion. It is believed the hijackers took one policeman with and later abandoned the SAPS vehicle in Samrand after they hijacked an Audi Q5. Unconfirmed reports suggest SAPS responded to a house robbery and found the robbery in progress. The robbers engaged the SAPS members and a shootout followed. At least five shots were fired. The robbers abandoned their stolen vehicle and took the Police vehicle with one SAPS member inside and fled. Two other robbers fled on foot. The police vehicle collided with another vehicle on SAmrand rd driving extremely reckless and into oncoming traffic. In Samrand the robbers hijacked a Audi Q5 and abandoned the SAPS vehicle and policeman. In the meantime one of the robbers on foot shot a passerby on the R101 and robbed him of his bicycle. The SAPS member only sustained a flesh wound to his leg. It is also believed the robbers took a R5 rifle. The Audi was also recovered in Ivory Park, no suspects.

hectic! reads like a movie script.

These $%@&$%# things never bloody stop!!!

It's a material item that can be replaced.Give them the bike or push it to them and run.

A man was left critically injured this morning when he was shot while riding his bicycle on the R101 in Brakfontein.

When ER24 paramedics arrived on the scene, they found the man lying on the side of the road surrounded by members of the community.

Paramedics immediately assessed the man and found that he had sustained a gunshot wound to his abdomen and was in a critical condition.

The man was immediately treated for his injuries and rushed to Thembisa hospital for urgent medical care.

It is understood that the man had been cycling down the road when he was approached by an unknown number of gunmen. A struggle ensued and the man was shot. The man's bicycle was also stolen.

Local authorities will conduct an investigation into the matter.

Speedy Recovery!! Very sad. Nothing we can do against a gun.

I use to ride on my own every weekend from my house to the cradle and back, now I don't feel save anymore. Only ride with groups now. 

Good move.

We always drove to the Rhino & Lion or Something Country and rode from there. I used to ride the MTB track at the side of the road while Wendy rode on the road.

House robbery in progress. Inconvenienced by police. Worries not, just hijack police car with cop in it. Crash that. Bummer. Hijack a Q5. Probably should have gone with the Q7 but don't worry fellas i will grab a bike and shoot the rider.

WTF!

Archived