Kloof Nek hit and run (26 March)

Nick

I hope the rider recovers soon.

I was knocked over on vissershoek road 2 years ago and the driver didn't stop.  After 5 minutes she turned around and drove back to the scene of the crime. . . .

The case was reported to SAPS whom i had to call 3 times a day for a month to get feedback.  Eventually they dropped all charges as the driver lied about what happened.

The driver got away scott free even though i had 2 eyewitnesses who both testified to her wrongdoing.

Sounds to me like the best option is "To just hope it never happens to you" . . .

Which is less than ideal to say the least! :-(

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It was only later that I remembered the dashcam that I had got as a Christmas gift. It captures the events described above up until the arrival of the officer (not the accident itself). Until I have heard from the victim's family, I will not share it publicly.

Thank you SA123 for not being a bystander!

riders wife and I has been given the run around by police and traffic officer that was on the scene. Apparently the statement given was a big lie abd there was no case opened at the police station.

I think it is necessary to publish that footage. Once it is on social media the case is likely to get the public attention necessary for the cyclist to get the justice he deserves.

It is a sad fact that "selective prosecution" is rife in our justice systems. This means that the rest of the cyclists who get knocked down or robbed out of sight of video cameras do not get justice. However if we bring attention to the cases that we can, things may improve.

I am a member of the PPA. I would strongly encourage them to start a campaign for justice for cyclists. Every "accident" between a motorist and a cyclist that results in an injury should be properly investigated, including:

- The driver's licence being checked.

- The car licence being checked.

- The car and the cycle both being checked for roadworthy.

- Both the motorist and the cyclist being breathalysed.

- Any traffic law infringements on the part of either the motorist or the cyclist being prosecuted.

Note I have kept the above "party neutral".  I cannot campaign for justice and then assume the guilt always lie with one party. However it is invariably the cyclist who get injured.

I like the idea of C29's bike cams. Maybe someone (PPA?) can source something in China and import them in quantity at a good price. Simple "key-chain cameras" are advertised on E-Bay from under R50. I think it would be possible to put together something with 2 usable cameras, SD cards and battery for under R500. (Not Go-Pro quality, but good enough for insurance and social media).

Edited by i24

Thanks for the updates Ozzie.

Pure Savage - the rider who was knocked down is a seasoned PPA and CSA member.

Lets hope that the piece of scum gets what he deserves and jail time will send a big message to anyone who does not respect a cyclist/pedestrian on our roads.

Sounds to me like the best option is "To just hope it never happens to you" . . .

Which is less than ideal to say the least! :-(

I really hope the rider heals up soon

Having just come back from Aus, I realised just what real dwisses most people are here in SA (and I include myself sometimes). After a few days there, my own driving and awareness of others was totally different and you actually end up wanting to drive carefully. When the umpteenth bus, slowed and carefully went around me, I thought how we could get us to even be mildly courteous, and I am stumped. And there was no visible enforcement. I think I saw one camera in a month.

I was back on the road here for 10mins and I already wanted to injure people for sheer stupidity.

Still no response from PPA on mails, twitter or Facebook. 

Just a, "Could anyone that has further information on the incident please come forward and we are in contact with the relevant authorities would be great."

The more time that passes, the less the police care and nothing happens.

I posted this on WP and PPA pages earlier as well.

Ozzie just informed me that Faizel is speaking and eating now so there is at least progress.

We have a general monthly WP meeting tonight and I will definitely bring this up in tonight's meeting. The bigger cycling bodies like CSA/WP and PPA needs to really get stuck into this case and make sure that this case is a game changer for all cyclists/runners and pedestrians on our roads.

For to long now has drivers gotten away with reckless behavior and no respect for the law of the roads. 

I don't hold much hope for action from PPA or CSA.

Speedy recovery, and hope at least the driver gets prosecuted.

Cycling bodies, a very fitting term, no arms, no legs. Just a body, incapable of performing anything.

Just got the PPA weekly newsletter and nothing about the incident. They are really failing at the whole supporting cyclists rights here... 

Here is the PPA statement on the incident:

On behalf of the PPA staff and the Exco, I would like to wish Faizel Abrahams a speedy and full recovery after his terrible crash on Monday 26 March. We were contacted by Faizel's wife this morning, informing us of the crash and I asked how we can be of assistance. I have already requested legal advice on the next steps and await feedback. We are currently assisting in the Deon Basson incident, with an advocate assisting the investigating officer. We are also offering legal assistance in the Delene Boonzaaier matter. At the moment, both cases are still in the investigation phase, with little tangible news to report. While we all seek swift justice, we are learning that a proper investigation takes time. - Robert

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On behalf of the PPA staff and the Exco, I would like to wish Faizel Abrahams a speedy and full recovery after his terrible crash on Monday 26 March. We were contacted by Faizel's wife this morning, informing us of the crash and I asked how we can be of assistance. I have already requested legal advice on the next steps and await feedback. We are currently assisting in the Deon Basson incident, with an advocate assisting the investigating officer. We are also offering legal assistance in the Delene Boonzaaier matter. At the moment, both cases are still in the investigation phase, with little tangible news to report. While we all seek swift justice, we are learning that a proper investigation takes time. - Robert

Well.

That is constructive and good to hear.

Rolled a century with Faizel (and Ozzie) during the Dec break.

So sorry to hear about his ordeal.

By the way Robert Vogel the accident happened on Sunday and not Monday :oops: