Kloof Nek hit and run (26 March)

Nick

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Mojoman. Can u pls contact me on 0636981324 asap. Im the brother of the rider that got knocked down and the riders wife and I has been given the run around by police and traffic officer that was on the scene. Apparently the statement given was a big lie abd there was no case opened at the police station. So pls mojoman your help is really needed. Pls contact me. Appreciate your effort.

I wish I could help you Oswin, it kills me to think that this is probably another POS that will manage to get away with the hit and run because some numbnut pork chop is too stupid or too lazy to do their job... the only advice I can offer is to go and get that case opened and get as many witnesses and their reports as possible. 

Thank you SA123 for your actions, we need more people like you were many people would want to do the same in a situation like this, but don't. We can't blame them, but as in this situation, if we all stand together, then hopefully justice can be done.

I hope the cyclist will get the best medical assistance to heal from this bad experience. Good luck buddy.

"I have been given the run around by police and traffic officer that was on the scene. Apparently the statement given was a big lie and there was no case opened at the police station."

Oy Vey - here we go again useless don't care etc law enforcement etc

anyone actually on first name terms with a politician that can maybe get something done :unsure:

I did say maybe

Thanx Mojoman. So true Bat. We def gonna sort this out I can promise u that. We confronted the traffic officer that did the report and half of it wasnt even complete or true. E kinda roasted him infront of all at greenpoint traffic dept and didnt know what to say. Thats when we knew something didnt feel right and we get to the bottom of this because there wasnt even a case opebed at the police station. The whole situation seemed corrupt to us and we back there in the morning to get this sorted. Thanx for all the help and advice guys. Much appreciated

Good luck Oswin. You have your work cut out trying to battle the system but strength to you.

Disgusting behaviour by the police following outstanding behaviour by members of the public and SA123 in particular.

Well done chaps. Best wishes to the patient.

In cases like this and many recent deaths from hit and runs.

What do we start doing when the state fails to prosecute these people?

And this is the question that I have been trying to answer over the last month or two. 

What can I do to make the roads safer for us? 

And this is the question that I have been trying to answer over the last month or two.

What can I do to make the roads safer for us?

I think it is two separate questions, what can we do to make it safer.

But in the event of an accident, what can we do to ensure that the drivers do not get away scottfree.

They are closely relevant. But they require different actions.

I hope the rider recovers soon.

I was knocked over on vissershoek road 2 years ago and the driver didnt stop.  After 5 minutes she turned around and drove back to the scene of the crime.  I ended up in hospital getting operated on a broken wrist and now have titanium plates in my arm.

The case was reported to SAPS whom i had to call 3 times a day for a month to get feedback.  Eventually they dropped all charges as the driver lied about what happened.

The driver got away scott free even though i had 2 eyewitnesses who both testified to her wrongdoing.

Moral of the story is cyclists have zero rights on the road , i took the case to the RAF and after 3 years of jumping through millions of hoops and tons of paperwork got paid a measly amount that didnt even cover my medical bills..

In this country you cant go after the driver only the RAF and  they make it nigh on impossible to get justice as they bog you down in paperwork and procedure etc.  Eventually wearing you out to just accept whatever they offer.

The attitude of SAPS is discgraceful, they have ZERO interest in working cases.  

Anyway i hope this guy recovers soon and the driver gets what he deserves (but dont count on it :( )

I think it is two separate questions, what can we do to make it safer.

But in the event of an accident, what can we do to ensure that the drivers do not get away scottfree.

They are closely relevant. But they require different actions.

If only there was some organisation who's mission it was to act of the behalf of cyclists in this country

I smell a rat !!

Problem in our country is that there is no consequence so we do as we please.

In fact you get paid to do what you aught not to do.

Hi, I'm the witness who posted on Twitter. Just wanted to clarify a few things. I arrived at the scene just after the accident, so I didn't see the accident itself. A Corsa bakkie had been going UP Kloof Nek. I understand that the rider was going down the hill. The bakkie apparently did not turn and went across three lanes, hit the cyclist and drove over the curb onto the verge which is quite large at this point.

When I arrived at the scene, the bakkie was just pulling back into the road with a smashed windscreen, dented bonnet and roof pillar. He squeezed past cars coming down the road and went up the hill against the flow of traffic. I had seen the damage to the bakkie but was still taking in the whole scene which was some way in front of me and wasn't sure whether he was actually fleeing the scene or just turning around. Once I realised that it was a hit and run, I turned around and chased after the driver.

I had to get through traffic but caught up with him near the cableway turnoff. He was now on the correct side of the road. A meter taxi had already stopped in front of the guy and just as he was about to drive into the oncoming traffic and make another run for it, I pulled up to his right. I made sure he wasn't able to get out of the car and told him to get out the passenger side. A number of people then arrived and assisted in containing the driver. Quite soon after a traffic officer (who happened to be passing) came by. The traffic officer's bizarre suggestion was that the driver do a U-Turn at the cable station and drive back to the scene. Fortunately, we persuaded him not to allow that. I told him that not only might the guy flee, but his car was no longer roadworthy and he was clearly too dangerous to be allowed to drive another meter. We boxed the guy off the road and the traffic officer took him in the police car back to the scene. I felt the traffic officer should have arrested and handcuffed the guy there and then and kept him where he was until SAPS arrived.

It needs to be made clear to the Police (and any prosecutor) that this guy fled the scene. He had run away and did not return to the scene voluntarily. This was a clear case of hit and run. The Traffic Police may have inadvertently assisted the driver.

I left soon after as other witnesses who had seen the accident as well as the subsequent events were present and had more to offer in terms of testimony than I did. It was only later that I remembered the dashcam that I had got as a Christmas gift. It captures the events described above up until the arrival of the officer (not the accident itself). Until I have heard from the victim's family, I will not share it publicly.

I appreciate that some of you would have handled the situation differently, but understand that there was a possibility that the driver may have purposefully attacked the cyclist. He certainly seemed belligerent and there was no logical reason for his actions either in causing the accident or thereafter. None of us knew what the driver was capable of. At one point, I was certain he was going to smash his way past my car. I think the people who assisted in stopping the guy (including a tourist who stood in front of the bakkie), went far beyond what is required of a reasonable citizen. Beating him up simply wasn't on the cards.

Well done! Your actions are commendable. You kept cool in a difficult situation.

I have also emailed the PPA a link to all the tweets regarding the accident, this thread and relevant info, lets hope they act as the cyclists voice as they are mandated to do so. 

Praying for the rider in ICU and his family today.