Kloof Nek hit and run (26 March)

Nick

hope your buddy gets better Bankie

but even if they find this driver....

spose this will turn into another collosal fail by SAP PPA NPA Local pro cycling MPs etc etc  :mellow:

#cyclistslivesdontmatter

Edited by bikebloke

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The driver of the vehicle drove away but was followed and returned to accident scene so he has been identified.

I have no further details on further charges etc but as soon as I have solid info I will update.

The rider is a friend of mine.

He was rushed to hospital and had to be operated on immediately.

Broken leg, collarbone and ribs as well as punctured lung and internal bleeding. He is stable after 5 hours of surgery and remains in ICU for the time being.

Sorry to hear man! Glad he is still with us!

I wouldn't call broken limbs a moderate injury Lima Charlie ...

I commute over Kloof New daily, and that particular bend (coming down as I'm assuming the injured was doing) is a merciless bend if the car coming from behind happens to be racing the traffic.

The driver of the vehicle drove away but was followed and returned to accident scene so he has been identified.

I have no further details on further charges etc but as soon as I have solid info I will update.

I do not usually condone violence, but if this happened to my buddy and we followed the driver, I would have beaten the **** out of him until his injuries were equal to those of the cyclist he knocked over.

Accidents happen and people get hurt its unfortunate, but there is nothing accidental about driving off.

I wouldn't call broken limbs a moderate injury Lima Charlie ...

I commute over Kloof New daily, and that particular bend (coming down as I'm assuming the injured was doing) is a merciless bend if the car coming from behind happens to be racing the traffic.

I think if a paramedic mentions moderate injury then it is pretty serious already.  

I do not usually condone violence, but if this happened to my buddy and we followed the driver, I would have beaten the **** out of him until his injuries were equal to those of the cyclist he knocked over.

Accidents happen and people get hurt its unfortunate, but there is nothing accidental about driving off.

100%, they will plea that they were worried for their lives due to the riders friends. 

Back in the Quebeka old days, they were knocked by a lady in Jhb, not seriously, but she wanted to drive off, they just reached in and turned her car off and rode off with the keys until they could come back with police.

I get very distressed when I read of cyclists getting knocked over by motorists.

I hope this poor guy gets good attention in hospital and recovers properly. I know the long road ahead of him.

All for riding his bike.

It is incidents like this that make me even more determined to film and report ALL incidents where motorists behave badly.

I get very distressed when I read of cyclists getting knocked over by motorists.

I hope this poor guy gets good attention in hospital and recovers properly. I know the long road ahead of him.

All for riding his bike.

It is incidents like this that make me even more determined to film and report ALL incidents where motorists behave badly.

Do you have a link to those lights/cameras you use?

In cases like this and many recent deaths from hit and runs.

What do we start doing when the state fails to prosecute these people?

I think you know the answer to that ....

That is normally when people start taking the law into their own hands.

Not good but that is reality

That is why you read so much about vigilante justice in the poorer areas of SA. Seems the lower down you are on the socio-economic ladder the less chance you have of any policing and justice.

Do you have a link to those lights/cameras you use?

They are Cycliq products (https://cycliq.com/), the Fly6 for the rear was distributed by the cycle factory in Montague Gardens but they did a pretty iffy job with them so they were pulled. The Fly12 for front has not been approved by ICASA yet, it has wifi and bluetooth, so is not yet officially available here.

I am chatting to them about distributorship at the moment but without ICASA it's a bit pointless.

In cases like this and many recent deaths from hit and runs.

What do we start doing when the state fails to prosecute these people?

An interested party, say the PPA, can request a nolle prosequi, if the State declines to prosecute, and brief lawyers to launch a private prosecution.

However, if the State lays charges and then agrees to some inappropriate plea bargain, as is likely, there is not much to do.

An interested party, say the PPA, can request a nolle prosequi, if the State declines to prosecute, and brief lawyers to launch a private prosecution.

However, if the State lays charges and then agrees to some inappropriate plea bargain, as is likely, there is not much to do.

So actually if I understand you correctly, from a usefull prosecution point of view, it would be better if the state drops it and hope the PPA would go for a private prosecution.