Drop bars banned in MTB races?

TDKVerbatim

What would your motivation be for banning them from road races?

Do you actually want them banned from road races?

I suppose if the flat bars are no wider than your traditional road bars, theres no issue.

Ive heard a couple of roadies moan about the MTB bars being too wide in a bunch which is understandable.

Not many years ago you had almost everyone chopping their bars on the MTB's barely wider than their shoulders, now they so bloody wide you turn around a tree at Van Gaalens your grip hits the ousie behind the counter at the Komatipoort border post.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Same thing with tribars.

You see them all over the place at races.

But with aero bars there is a clear safety reason. Riding on aero bars in a group is a death wish because it takes at least 1s to get your hands on to the brake levers.

As far as I can see, there is no clear safety reason for not allowing drop bars in a MTB race.

Drop bars is NOT a mountainbike, its a road bike.

A road bike ridden by a roadie that actually made a mistake and deep down inside wants to be a mountainbiker.

Drop bars on a mountainbike... FFS, go play tennis with a squash racquet, same ***.

You do realise that MTB started out with drop/moustache bars, don't you?

And road also started with moustache bars...

(Anyone know if moustache bars are banned?  Just how much of a sweep-and-drop makes a road bar?)

Drop bars is NOT a mountainbike, its a road bike.

A road bike ridden by a roadie that actually made a mistake and deep down inside wants to be a mountainbiker.

Drop bars on a mountainbike... FFS, go play tennis with a squash racquet, same ***.

I wish you would get off the fence and actually commit to a position on this point!

CTCT ignores a whole bunch of CSA/UCI rules, including bunch sizes, etc.  Is it even UCI sanctioned?

it cant be Sanctioned yes :ph34r:

I suppose if the flat bars are no wider than your traditional road bars, theres no issue.

Ive heard a couple of roadies moan about the MTB bars being too wide in a bunch which is understandable.

Not many years ago you had almost everyone chopping their bars on the MTB's barely wider than their shoulders, now they so bloody wide you turn around a tree at Van Gaalens your grip hits the ousie behind the counter at the Komatipoort border post.

If roadies are bothered by MTBs handlebars or whatever when riding in a bunch, then perhaps they have bigger problems, like not being able to drop guys riding on 2.25 knobbly tyres? :whistling:  

If roadies are bothered by MTBs handlebars or whatever when riding in a bunch, then perhaps they have bigger problems, like not being able to drop guys riding on 2.25 knobbly tyres? :whistling:

Very hard to drop someone in the start chute :P 

He never said anything about seeing him after the start chute  :ph34r:  :ph34r:

I wish you would get off the fence and actually commit to a position on this point!

As is, you already get the dirt roadies that come past you on the flats and the second it gets technical they become useless and thats them on their fancy bikes.

Now you wanna put them on drop bars in those same tech sections and make them even slower. Dont be daft!!!

Road bikes on dirt roads is fine, singletrack and tech is a NO.

Keep cyclocross as it is, tech stuff for drop bars.

Ex the CSA MTB rules. Let the games commence........

14 Equipment – Clothing – Protective Gear

14.01 Bicycle

The bicycle is a vehicle with two wheels of equal diameter. The front wheel shall be steerable, the rear wheel shall be

driven through a system comprising pedals and a chain. (Modified 21/05/2016)

14.01.001 It is forbidden to use metal screws or spikes in the tyres of the bicycle.

14.01.002 Bicycles must use a wheel on both front and back of the same size for all disciplines of Mountain Bike competition.

14.01.003 Bicycles shall have at least two brakes which are in good working condition.

14.01.004 Handlebar ends and Handlebar extensions shall be plugged and must not have sharp or jagged edges.

14.01.005 The use of Tri bars, or Time Trial handlebars, is not permitted.

14.01.006 The use of drop-type handle bars is not permitted, and only tradtional MTB bars may be used.

14.01.007 All bicycles used in all forms of mountain bike competition must be powered by human power alone.

14.01.008 Uni Cycles are not permitted. (Modified 01/01/2016)

14.01.009 Tandems do not form part of mountain bike competition and cannot be included in prize categories unless a specific

category is provided by the race organizer. (Modified 01/01/2016)

14.01.010 E Bikes are not permitted in any form of mountain bike events. (Modified 01/01/2016)

I recently discovered I will be disqualified from Hill2Hill if I do it on my new gravel/CX bike (and possibly won't even be allowed to start) because it has drop bars which are banned in CSA rules.

Does anyone know of any justification for this restriction?

Is there any way to appeal or bypass this restriction?

Are there any suitable (edit: non-asphalt) races where I would be allowed to compete on the gravel bike?

So unless you are competing for a podium position, I'm sure this is one of those rules that no one cares about and won't be enforced.

Remember there is a rule that are not allowed to ride with sleeveless shirts either....

As is, you already get the dirt roadies that come past you on the flats and the second it gets technical they become useless and thats them on their fancy bikes.

Now you wanna put them on drop bars in those same tech sections and make them even slower. Dont be daft!!!

Road bikes on dirt roads is fine, singletrack and tech is a NO.

Keep cyclocross as it is, tech stuff for drop bars.

Lol - dirt roadies really get on your nerve dude...

Ex the CSA MTB rules. Let the games commence........

14 Equipment – Clothing – Protective Gear

14.01 Bicycle

The bicycle is a vehicle with two wheels of equal diameter. The front wheel shall be steerable, the rear wheel shall be

driven through a system comprising pedals and a chain. (Modified 21/05/2016)

14.01.001 It is forbidden to use metal screws or spikes in the tyres of the bicycle.

14.01.002 Bicycles must use a wheel on both front and back of the same size for all disciplines of Mountain Bike competition.

14.01.003 Bicycles shall have at least two brakes which are in good working condition.

14.01.004 Handlebar ends and Handlebar extensions shall be plugged and must not have sharp or jagged edges.

14.01.005 The use of Tri bars, or Time Trial handlebars, is not permitted.

14.01.006 The use of drop-type handle bars is not permitted, and only tradtional MTB bars may be used.

14.01.007 All bicycles used in all forms of mountain bike competition must be powered by human power alone.

14.01.008 Uni Cycles are not permitted. (Modified 01/01/2016)

14.01.009 Tandems do not form part of mountain bike competition and cannot be included in prize categories unless a specific

category is provided by the race organizer. (Modified 01/01/2016)

14.01.010 E Bikes are not permitted in any form of mountain bike events. (Modified 01/01/2016)

What if bar ends protude below the handle bar, do they count as drop bars. 

I would just plea that they are strange looking bar ends :P