Drop bars banned in MTB races?

TDKVerbatim

As most of you know I ride my 'MonsterCross' bike quite a lot .... I must be honest I have tried it out at places like Rietvlei and Thaba and found it to be a really crappy bike if it's even remotely technical.

Mostly, IMHO, the narrowness of the bar and not ideal hand positions .... at least in my case (I don't have those extra little brake levers on the top of the bar) if you go into anything sort of downhill technical and you go for the brakes you are way to far over the front of the bike and low down

I have long gone decided that I use it for real gravel grinding/tar combo rides, this is all district roads and very occasional good jeep track. Also ideal on some of the narrow tar roads (think Lido road in the south) where if you hear a truck coming you can just pop of the tar onto the verge at any time

I will use it at Cullinan to Tonteldoos as I am lead to believe that it is well suited to that, not out to prove that I can do an MTB race with my frankenstein road bike

Use it, don't use it up to you  :whistling:

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This rule will probably be as well enforced as not allowing MTB's with disc brakes in road races.. A thing I would not worry about. I am pretty sure if you pay your CSA license, thats all CSA cares about. You could rock up on an ebike and they wouldn't care, as long as you pay your license fee.

Yeah probably a safety thing...

also could be that you may embarrass too many MTB'ers when you fly past them on a downhill...

Ill pick the downhill, I wanna see this person come past even someone like me with my lack of skillzzz

Sattellite descent that was part of the VG race, thats ideal  :w00t:

Rule 4.1.039 of the UCI Cycling Regulations...so not so much a CSA Rule as a UCI Rule.

4.1.039   During MTB races no traditional road handlebars may be used.

As soon as an event is sanctioned then the rules come into play. Hill2Hill would have applied for sanctioning as a MTB event from KZN MTB who in turn are empowered by CSA to grant or not grant sanctioning. By being sanctioned the event is bound to KZN MTB, CSA and UCI rules pertaining to the type of event and the cycling discipline applicable.

You are right in saying that you would be DQ'd if you took part... and that's assuming that you even got past the start line as in all probability the start line commissar would not have allowed you to start.

I doubt appealing to CSA to have the rule relaxed would be successful.

One could take some solace in this story.....http://fullsus.co.za/sani2c-by-cyclocross/

(I'm guessing that Sani2C is covered by CSA MTB rules???)

For sure S2C applied for sanctioning and therefore have to abide by CSA rules..

Wondering if stage race rules allow for CX bikes/drop bars vs marathon rules do not?

At the end of the day, ride whatever bike you want on whatever surface you want... its your choice.

I think of it like this, if for whatever reason im riding a dirtroad and you're gonna come past me on the roadbike, dont get in my way on a technical descent and hold your line when I catch you there. Move out the way.

Likewise can be said for any other bike riding in its opposite discipline.

If you ride your MTB on the tar, dont get in the roadies way. Keep up and dont lose the wheel or pull the bunch.

End of story

Ill pick the downhill, I wanna see this person come past even someone like me with my lack of skillzzz

Sattellite descent that was part of the VG race, thats ideal  :w00t:

This oke would be able to, but I suspect he (and the pro cx okes) are in the minority. 

Drop bars is NOT a mountainbike, its a road bike.

A road bike ridden by a roadie that actually made a mistake and deep down inside wants to be a mountainbiker.

Drop bars on a mountainbike... FFS, go play tennis with a squash racquet, same ***.

Flat bars is a mountain bike then?