So is the Epic getting ahead of itself - elitism in the dining hall

Headshot

Total crap - they ran out of water the day before - I participated in that fb debated and Ms Harrop made the odd statement that paying riders didn't have to be there if they didn't want too... annoyed the expletives out of me.

I would have thrown a MTB through her camper van's window.

Keeping the environment in mind is one thing, but running out of water on a premier event on a very hot day where competitors faced a very real threat of heat exhaustion and dehydration is unforgivable.

Maybe some of those riders that were hospitalised for kidney failures should have a wee chat with her. 

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But at there or there sponsors cost, I doubt Epic provide those to them as part of the entry fee....?

Does anyone know if those pro teams / sponsored teams with "privileges" as per Grants video pay the same, less or more than Joe soap?

As far as I know they pay the same for the entries and they provide the vans etc - team has to lease parking spots 12500 odd and pay the drivers supporters package - about 8k - basically gives them meals and I think a tent to sleep in - athletes stay in the vans generally

I would have thrown a MTB through her camper van's window.

Keeping the environment in mind is one thing, but running out of water on a premier event on a very hot day where competitors faced a very real threat of heat exhaustion and dehydration is unforgivable.

Maybe some of those riders that were hospitalised for kidney failures should have a wee chat with her.

To be more accurate - they ran out of bottled water one evening - but not out of water totally - some teams were taking 10 bottles at a time to tables and back to tents.

And the security did not like you takeing a bottle from the ice buckets on the front tables - even if there was nobody at the table.

I am sure she did not stay in a camper Van... b and b for sure.

Thanks Grant for sharing. Utter shiite from the organizers. I thought it is the elite doing the epic, period.

So there is the elite within the elite....

Actually very shocking. To be paying that much and you are only allowed one bottle of water and being treated like a child. Not on.

Complete BS

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Vaseline will however be R500.

If you aren't able to just bite your pillow, close your eyes and take it "dry" you probably aren't tough enough for the Epic in the first place ;)

This has been good reading for a Thursday! Love some of the chirps...

75k means it's never gonna happen for me, gonna have to stick to my cheap ass adventure racing.

1. The choppers flying around the whole day doesn't come cheap.

2. Someones got to sponsor the food and drink at the hospitality tent. R1800 for a ticket is utterly disgraceful hence why I would never visit it.

On another point. I see nothing wrong with a drum full of water. The plastic bottles should not be available. Just think of the amount of unnecessary waste generated. We can all do our part and stop paying for water. There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with tap water.

But what if the ph is wrong and it affects their performance?

Not enough helicopters

Not UCI event

Nothing for missus to do

Not enough international exposure

Too hot

nothing to do in Mpumalanga???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But what if the ph is wrong and it affects their performance?

Then Phatmen would be Fatmen and they wouldn't even be in the Epic.

It often happens when the success and money goes to the organizers head and then the plebs get treated like shaaite, because if you don't like it we have a queue to do our race thank you very much so basically we'll feel free to bend you over any which way we please.

When someone tells me they have done epic, this look appears on my face.

post-11806-0-35366200-1490895916_thumb.jpg

Having seen the "celebs" that trudge though and finish sort of removes the "untamed" ness of it a little. 

Then you have to do your own laundry and bring your own water bottles to dinner, you not even get treated like you are at a premium event. 

Been making this sum in my head:

EPIC:

R 75 000 for team of two -  R 37 500 per person for 8 days/nights = R 4 687,50 pppd

S2C:

R 13 900 for team of 2 - R 6 950 per person for 3 days/nights = R 2 316,66 pppd

QUESTION to okes/ladies who've done both: (I've only done S2C)

What makes EPIC charges double?

Supply and demand. As simple as that.

Kind of like how I felt watching the MTB film festival last night - US and EU guys taking strain on their 3 day bike packing trips and "getting away from city life" ... makes you realize how far their realities are away from many if not most of our fellow SA's .

Wait until you come visit us in Spain. We have all the water you need - but we will make you earn it! :-)

but running out of water on a premier event on a very hot day where competitors faced a very real threat of heat exhaustion and dehydration is unforgivable.

To be paying that much and you are only allowed one bottle of water and being treated like a child. Not on.

When someone tells me they have done epic, this look appears on my face.

attachicon.gifcool-story-bro-house-Cool-Story-Bro.jpg

and bring your own water bottles to dinner,  

^  Joh some exaggerations going on here ^

READ THIS 

To be more accurate - they ran out of bottled water one evening - but not out of water totally - some teams were taking 10 bottles at a time to tables and back to tents.

You all know bottling water in little plastic bottles should be a crime?

so here you are ranting away

how many of you are planing on entering for next year in one way shape or form ?

AANNNNNDDDD, are those international entrants complaining ? is any of this going to cause a change? other than charging and epic hardcore corkage fee (price excluding vaseline). i doubt it.

Archived