Bikelife finance

BSG

With all of the above in mind, I have an update to my whole bike buying experience!

First off, this is going to be long and juicy for those of you who like information overload. Went to Hattons Cycles in Umhlanga. They gave me the first initial quote of:

2 x Silverback Sola 4 2016 @ 9035.54 per bike

2 x Bongtager helmets @ 613.99 per helmet

2 x Ryder Ventgel gloves @ 175.39 per pair

2 x Camelbak Podium Chill 620ml @ 201.71 per bottle

1 x Ryder Pump mega @ 166.62

2 x Topeak Bag Wedge @ 447.32 per bag

1 x Chain lube @ 87.68

2 x Ravx Bottle Cage Dart x @ 113.99 per cage

1 x Topeak tire lever @ 113.99

1 x Cycloplus lock @ 113.99

1 x HoldFast Boot Carrier @ 1491.18

Prices are excl vat, and no specials given. Total incl vat = R 26 389.15

So I phone Bike Life to find out about financing. They immediately let me know they no longer provide financing. Asked why, lady said she was new and had no idea why. Perhaps it's just temporary. But that's interesting none the less.

So with my hopes dashed like that I was about to give up. When the Credit Card idea sunk in, and wedged itself. So if I pay by Credit Card I can get the specials and stuff. So we worked out the following quote:

1 x Trek Marlin 6 2016 @ 7456.10

1 x Trek Marlin 7 2017 @ 10087.68

Total incl VAT: 19999.90

Part of the special is that these bikes come with a total of R3000 to spend on whatever I want in the shop. So I dropped the bike rack (I'll put them in my car and just remove the wheels for now) and got extra water bottles plus cages and a few other bits and bobs. Ended up with about an extra R300 credit which the store will give me on future purchases.

I think I might just go for the above. But would love some feedback!

You do what you want boss, but for R200 for a water bottle, it has better be something pretty special (like a teasers lap dance kind of special) - due south R10 water bottles also hold water, they're not insulated but they're 5% of the fecking price .

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, because the ZAR took a beating.

The opposite could also happen; Zuma gets recalled tomorrow, and Cyril is the new prez. The markets react and the ZAR strengthens to 11.00 R/USD. Come 2019 and the DA wins, and we're back to 6.00 R/USD and a 2019 Camber S-works costs R40k.

Hmm I have never seen prices come down, maybe stagnate for a while.

Yeah, because the ZAR took a beating.

The opposite could also happen; Zuma gets recalled tomorrow, and Cyril is the new prez. The markets react and the ZAR strengthens to 11.00 R/USD. Come 2019 and the DA wins, and we're back to 6.00 R/USD and a 2019 Camber S-works costs R40k.

yeah, and the whole of SA's export economy collapses (include tourism), local salaries plummet accordingly, and we still can't afford squat.

Pretty much yes.

Been thinking a lot how the country would recover if our currency were to regain all of its losses over the years.

So, conclusion. It's better to make debt to fund hobbies and toys.

For the record. Towards the end of 2015 i took a gambit to buy a new bike seeing as the prices kept on going up and the rand going down. Swiped my credit, moved some funds and settled it on day 57, instead of saving for another 6 + months. Yeah, I could've waited and saved up and probably landed another good deal again, but when a man wants something he will make any excuse to justify it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

debt or no debt is one topic ...

spending money on "toys" ... now that is another topic.  and frankly a MASSIVE cogg in the economic system !!

debt or no debt is one topic ...

spending money on "toys" ... now that is another topic.  and frankly a MASSIVE cogg in the economic system !!

Like that new 50" curved SUHD OLED TV that has to be had. . .

Like that new 50" curved SUHD OLED TV that has to be had. . .

OR .... another 2nd bond to get a bike that is 50g lighter and has newer gears/rims/seat post ....

is mos Vrydag ....

You do what you want boss, but for R200 for a water bottle, it has better be something pretty special (like a teasers lap dance kind of special) - due south R10 water bottles also hold water, they're not insulated but they're 5% of the fecking price .

Agreed. It was for quote's sake to see how expensive it could get. Worst case scenario kind of thing.

But the real issue to me here is that Bikelife no longer offer finance. Well not for now in any case. Our only option left is Wesbank.

Try and repossess a bike when client defaults on payment and then if you managed to find try and auction it off.Massive gap between what is owed and value of asset.Hopefully that gives an idea why bike financè may be a difficult business to be in!

Try and repossess a bike when client defaults on payment and then if you managed to find try and auction it off.Massive gap between what is owed and value of asset.Hopefully that gives an idea why bike financè may be a difficult business to be in!

The asset was never attached to the debt here. It was actually a personal loan.

The asset was never attached to the debt here. It was actually a personal loan.

That is intersting. So the asset doesnt serve as security. As you say its a PL. Then approaching your bank for a loan where you already have a hopefully good record may be an easier option.

That is intersting. So the asset doesnt serve as security. As you say its a PL. Then approaching your bank for a loan where you already have a hopefully good record may be an easier option.

It would be, but BikeLife offered great rates. Don't think charging Interest was their main revenue stream. Pity, they seemed like good guys.

It would be, but BikeLife offered great rates. Don't think charging Interest was their main revenue stream. Pity, they seemed like good guys.

Oh. Wasnt aware that they were offering unsecured loans at a discounted rate. Maybe why they are apparently out of business?

True. GLuvsMTB and others usually burst onto the threads and start getting all preachy about how anyone who finances a bike is a complete and utter fool.

I see you called me. I am actually pro-finance and if you search through the other threads you'll see that my view is that if you finance an item over a period (car, bike, boat, etc) make sure you finance for shorter than the item's life expectancy and if you chose a residual, that it is less than the expected value of the item upon expiry of the contract. If this is too higher grade for you I can always try to use smaller words. And before you take a swipe at someone, get your facts straight.

Off to ride now, you all have a lovely morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro