Stolen bike update

JeremyCPT

I have an old bakkie that I sometimes drive around with from the trails with my bike hooked at the back of my bike carrier. The bakkie is probably worth 20% of the bike price.

Its always a challenge when I stop at petrol stations and malls because I get asked where I bought the bike. I always tell them its non of their business. Can you imagine my reaction if I drive my bakkie to that shop for them to repair my bike and they call the police because my bakkie doesn't fit my bike? I guess the shop owners are in a catch 22 situation.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have an old bakkie that I sometimes drive around with from the trails with my bike hooked at the back of my bike carrier. The bakkie is probably worth 20% of the bike price.

Its always a challenge when I stop at petrol stations and malls because I get asked where I bought the bike. I always tell them its non of their business. Can you imagine my reaction if I drive my bakkie to that shop for them to repair my bike and they call the police because my bakkie doesn't fit my bike? I guess the shop owners are in a catch 22 situation.

Entirely different situation.

The shop were called and told that the bike was possibly stolen and that the owner was on his way to check.

How does that relate to your experiences?

Our mountain bikes got stolen form our garage as well. Week later I receive a message on bikehub from a guy in Maputo telling me my Scott was spotted on the black market. As soon as he started to investigate the bike disappeared.

Went to the police with the pictures of my scott the guy send me. All they said is they will speak to Interpol about it.

No help form our beloved Police...

There are a lot of bikes ending up on OLX in Mozambique.

Edited by Pointer

Entirely different situation.

The shop were called and told that the bike was possibly stolen and that the owner was on his way to check.

How does that relate to your experiences?

Of course if the bike shop was alerted then its a different story...but my argument was based on the comment below:

"This is p*ss poor from the bike shop. How can you get to a bike shop in a taxi with a R75 000 bike and not look dodgy?!"

So there is no set criteria for being dodgy. That's why I say its a catch 22.

That's my LBS, I really appreciate the service I get out of them and like all the guys and girl who work there. I don't know the whole story regarding this incident and have learnt to take reports on these posts with a glob of salt. Won't crit till I get their side of the story.

(Was wondering where Friday was hiding on the forums this week!)

Jeremy, sorry to hear about this frustration for you dude! Was your bike insured?

I didnt ask the bike shop to accuse them. I do expect them to make the slightest effort. Try get their details. Take a picture of them and their vehicle. Have your CCTV working.

Make a slight effort.

Our constitution if worth nothing if nobody is prepared to do anything to assist their own community.

My view, piss poor effort from someone that had a sense he was dealing with stolen property.

How many more times has this happened?

Bike stores usually note the customer's mobile number whenever a bike is left at a store? Doubt that the 'customer' changed his/her mobile number after collecting the bike. Use 3rd party software/app to locate the mobile phone?

..or with a police case number you should be able to get the mobile service provider to locate the mobile phone?

I immediately drove to Bridge cycles while a friend phoned them to tell them to hold onto the bike. I got the pic at 16:48 and got to Bridge at 17h20 to be told that the bike had gone.

Was the bike still there at 16:48? Why did the "new owners" bring in the bicycle? 

I can understand your frustration, but to lay the fault at the LBS IMO is not correct...

*EDIT: added time

Edited by peetwindhoek

whatever works for you ...but its not 1980 and business owners don't have any obligation to detain stuff/people or play policeman
you may put on a cloak and put your underpants on over your trousers and rush about fighting crime but its not everyone elses obligation to be a superhero

its annoying but simple...
our constitution entrenches the right to a presumption of innocence until proven guilty for everyone ,you cant expect bike shop owners to play policeman, even if they believe the bike is stolen ,they cant start accusing people and detaining people and their property and im sure you know that, so its unfair of you to blame them in this situation or expect them to start calling saps etc etc

Please explain to simple me where the constitution empowers people to turn a blind eye to a crime being committed and also how the presumption of innocence could even possibly be relevant in this situation and where it is entrenched in the constitution. (Clue, it is not).

I am very comfortable meeting with you to engage in a debate about the provisions of the Constitution and the rights it confers as you clearly could do with some education. .

We can also deal with your understanding of Criminal Law , Criminal Procedure and the presumption of innocence in the light of section 35 (3)(h) of the constitution.

Edited by eddy

Eddy...

I feel you have an aggressive undertone bordering on hate speech. I am offended by this. I think I need 45 minutes in my safe place to contemplate how I would like to move forward with my emotions.

Your education, experience and understanding has no place on bikehub on a Friday... pffffft

Eddy...

I feel you have an aggressive undertone bordering on hate speech. I am offended by this. I think I need 45 minutes in my safe place to contemplate how I would like to move forward with my emotions.

Your education, experience and understanding has no place on bikehub on a Friday... pffffft

It being Friday, I suspect now would be a good time to STFU if I were you.... you are about to be schooled on the constitution and hate speech shortly.....

I would certainly listen to the constitutional lesson from Eddy.... he learned at the knee of a master.... quite literally....

its annoying but simple...

our constitution entrenches the right to a presumption of innocence until proven guilty for everyone ,you cant expect bike shop owners to play policeman, even if they believe the bike is stolen ,they cant start accusing people and detaining people and their property and im sure you know that, so its unfair of you to blame them in this situation or expect them to start calling saps etc etc

I disagree with you and this might add to your body of knowledge https://www.dailymaverick.co.za/opinionista/2017-06-01-on-a-balance-of-probabilities-guilty-or-not-guilty/#.WTFWOsYlHIU