WTF CSA?

Patchelicious

Any feedback from the meeting in KZN yesterday?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

At the moment they not receiving any of my money as I am not allowed to participate in events with my disc brake bike. Wonder if I were to put a mtb handlebar on.........

I see Mike is tweeting and taking credit for things, but still hasn't responded to any questions, or cleared anything up.

I think its time that other twitter handles like Corruption Watch gets included in tweets.

I am still new to this sport and the events/races. I will also always be a middle of the pack rider and at the moment focus on the fun rides. I have been looking at doing longer rides but until this is sorted out, I will just keep on doing the under 20km fun rides to avoid paying the license fees that are required for the longer rides.

I see Mike is tweeting and taking credit for things, but still hasn't responded to any questions, or cleared anything up.

I think its time that other twitter handles like Corruption Watch gets included in tweets.

He clearly is hoping we forget that he helped bankrupt CSA

And Mankele helped fund the riders to worlds yet somehow he felt the need to retweet when Mankele were thanked..he should hang his head in shame..

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Edited by Gen

At the moment they not receiving any of my money as I am not allowed to participate in events with my disc brake bike. Wonder if I were to put a mtb handlebar on.........

are you a (full) racing licence holder? If not, then the rule doesn't apply.

are you a (full) racing licence holder? If not, then the rule doesn't apply.

I was told that it applies to all entrants as the rules apply to all

I was told that it applies to all entrants as the rules apply to all

I'll find the rule... it definitely only applies to the licensed categories. It was published this (or last) week.

Meeting over... report back... expect deadlines not to be adhered to and just carry on whilst the dust settles....

I'll find the rule... it definitely only applies to the licensed categories. It was published this (or last) week.

Thanks. Would appreciate it as late last year I had spoken to a chap at CSA and I had specifically asked the question of Vets versus unlicensed and he had confirmed that the rule applies to all groups.

Hmmmm

So no real answers forthcoming yet

Yip. Also saw it that way.  Hope they did not spend more than 5 minutes on that meeting. 

"Yes we have a problem we do not acknowledge (really).  We will fix it whenever.  No plan at all.  See you next year"

Thanks. Would appreciate it as late last year I had spoken to a chap at CSA and I had specifically asked the question of Vets versus unlicensed and he had confirmed that the rule applies to all groups.

open seeded riders fall under a category called "Cycling for all", of which there are a supplementary set of rules.

Licensed riders - Domestic Elite, U23, Junior, Masters (aka Vets) all need a UCI licence, and as a result need to comply to the rules pertaining to their discipline, eg. road is covered under Rule 2.

Mass participation events in SA, have both licensed and "Cycling for all" riders taking part. The licensed categories have a commissaire present to (try) enforce the rules, and disk brakes are banned in these categories.

If CSA, who don't apply the rules consistently, ban road bikes with disk brakes, then they have to ban MTB as well. A licensed rider is not allowed to take part in a road event on an MTB.

Read this article that explains the disk brake situation in more detail.

http://road.cc/content/news/192878-uci-says-disc-brakes-are-allowed-bikes-ridden-mass-participation-events

I need to get clarity from my regional committee chairperson (will do so on Sunday), as it needs to be included in the rules for the race I am involved with.

open seeded riders fall under a category called "Cycling for all", of which there are a supplementary set of rules.

Licensed riders - Domestic Elite, U23, Junior, Masters (aka Vets) all need a UCI licence, and as a result need to comply to the rules pertaining to their discipline, eg. road is covered under Rule 2.

Mass participation events in SA, have both licensed and "Cycling for all" riders taking part. The licensed categories have a commissaire present to (try) enforce the rules, and disk brakes are banned in these categories.

If CSA, who don't apply the rules consistently, ban road bikes with disk brakes, then they have to ban MTB as well. A licensed rider is not allowed to take part in a road event on an MTB.

Read this article that explains the disk brake situation in more detail.

http://road.cc/content/news/192878-uci-says-disc-brakes-are-allowed-bikes-ridden-mass-participation-events

I need to get clarity from my regional committee chairperson (will do so on Sunday), as it needs to be included in the rules for the race I am involved with.

As they should, CSA is simply following the current ruling status from UCI as regards this matter. This issue should have been dealt with promptly a long time ago when the road bike disc brake issue first appeared, and then suddenly local bike shops had them displayed front and center for maximum sales effect. Too late unfortunately for those aspirant racers who dropped a lot of dough on the bike shop counter for the latest technology, and then got booted out of licenced races, such as Tour of Good Hope, for not making themselves informed about the fuzziness of the rules. I put the blame squarely at the door of the CSA for their tardiness in not informing all their members timeously of this matter. Yet, there are still disc brake road bikes in the shop windows ...

As regards applying the rule to specifically league road races; for Western Province Cycling leagues (I would imagine other regions would be similar), no matter the licence category, the prevailing UCI rule for disc-brake road bikes will be applied. Depending on the racing category different licence grades are applicable - CAT1 & 2 require a full racing licence, CAT3 only requires CSA membership. More info is on this link - http://www.wpcycling.com/uncategorized/autumn-and-winter-league-2016-criteria/