Telkom 947 Cycle Challenge - #CC2017

Bonus

1 complaint re impatient, rude mountain bike riders in a race.

If there is a bottle neck, please take your place at the back of the line and wait your turn to get through. The rest of us are waiting and believe me by the time the bottle neck happens, the podium positions have been taken.

Yesterday's 25km ride had 1 bottle neck at a slightly technical section. There were many children riding at the back so if you were late starting or had a technical which delayed you, I am sorry but please be patient.

Rant over. The rest of the ride was awesome.

I have to say that when the front half of the A1 batch of the 55km has to stop for a bottle neck for no reason that I could see - there is a problem with the route design... This was where the paintball is inside riversands. I think it is totally unnecessary for there to be a bottle neck at all and maybe more technical single track should be later in the race when there is much larger gaps. 

HOWEVER - I could not see what could even cause the bottleneck once we cleared it - I am sure it was probably due to some lack of talent at the front of the pack - somewhat disturbing...

On to the road race this week... hope we have nice cool weather for that one also...

Edited by s14phoenix

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For those starting at the back of the field, myself and others are Trek Troopers helping get those who cant to those who can. Look out for us in the bright yellow shirts with the Trek logo.

1st lap is race time and second lap is to have fun, enjoy, celebrate everything that is cycling and to help and motivate those who bring up the rear.

To help those who struggle this year to make sure they become the next batch of sub 4 and sub 3's in the years to come

Long day in the saddle but so worth it!

I have to say that when the front half of the A1 batch of the 55km has to stop for a bottle neck for no reason that I could see - there is a problem with the route design... This was where the paintball is inside riversands. I think it is totally unnecessary for there to be a bottle neck at all and maybe more technical single track should be later in the race when there is much larger gaps. 

HOWEVER - I could not see what could even cause the bottleneck once we cleared it - I am sure it was probably due to some lack of talent at the front of the pack - somewhat disturbing...

On to the road race this weektahope we have nice cool weather for that one also...

Ja all that youngster that ask you must give them way on the singletrack and then speed it. Pass them all on the last 5 km of the 55 km. Lying next to the road and complain. No idea of adjust to the distance. Just laughing

What is the recommended amount of time to be at your start chute prior to your start? I'm planning on riding to the start I just need to make sure I've got enough time! My start time is 7:29 and my start chute is E, if I'm there by 6:30 is that too early/late/just right?

30 mins before your start time should be fine, if you not to worried about being somewhere in the middle of the batch.

30 mins before your start time should be fine, if you not to worried about being somewhere in the middle of the batch.

Thanks! I'm happy to be in the middle so thats perfect.

Not sure how accurate this is, but an indication giving the weather forecast.

Red against the wind

post-65102-0-27059000-1510580177_thumb.jpeg

Edited by LeoKnight

Thanks! I'm happy to be in the middle so thats perfect.

Just be mindful it's a revised starting system this year, with pens etc. Maybe anticipate teething problems and err of the side of better to arrive early? It's easier to pass the time with a drink and some food and people watch than be clip-clopping like Gene Kelly trying to get in a rapidly filling pen?

Red against the wind

Yep, Yr.no seems to agree with your site, Wind from the North at 15-20km/h, which is not insignificant.

Thus expect Crosswinds in the first 10km, then tailwind all the way to Nelson Mandela Bridge, with headwinds and crosswinds on the second half...fun!

Gonna make an early prediction that we won't see as many PB's as we did with last year. Nothing major, just a little bit more challenging than 2016...

Forced to withdraw this year. Got a pretty bad fever on Saturday evening and have been in bed since then..

I was actually pretty amped for the race

Mainly purple....rain?

Think the bluer it is, the more the wind is from behind, and the redder it goes the more it is going to bite from the front

Hi - there are 2 holding/assembly areas. Here is a place to wait until the electronic signage shows the next group to load.

Its key to note whether you are in GREEN or ORANGE (this is displayed on your race number.) Make sure you are in the respective holding area. 

You will get pre-notice of your group loading so no need to wait near the loading pens as this will only cause congestion to the groups that are currently loading.

Your pre-race information indicates the time your group loads as well as the suggested time to arrive at the holding area.

Hope this helps 

Red against the wind

What app is that?

Red against the wind

My phone is saying 29C and sunny for Sunday...would rather have the predicted temperatures for Thursday (19C) or Friday (22C)....