Telkom 947 Cycle Challenge - #CC2017

Bonus

If you make it easier, the masses will just train less.  If that is possible :-)

Comrades Marathon is on another level of intensity, so it is difficult to make a comparison I know, but how about a qualification requirement before you are allowed to participate in 947?

Surely the health and safety of the masses need to feature somewhere? Especially considering the conditions they are enduring doing this event, right slam bang during the hottest part of the day towards the End of November. Add in a Medium or Short Route which could cater for the masses until they qualify for the full 94.7?

Or are the 947 organisers just in it for the high number, ie profits?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First bold part....The last 300m is downhill

Second bold part..like you said its a race so I dont see what the problem is?

Or Or Or maybe people could just train for it? Heaven forbid

People will train the same irrespective why not let them enjoy it abit more or maybe a the few previlaged machines that train 5 times a week should obly have that right. We want to attract people to the sport not chase them away.

Comrades Marathon is on another level of intensity, so it is difficult to make a comparison I know, but how about a qualification requirement before you are allowed to participate in 947?

Surely the health and safety of the masses need to feature somewhere? Especially considering the conditions they are enduring doing this event, right slam bang during the hottest part of the day towards the End of November. Add in a Medium or Short Route which could cater for the masses until they qualify for the full 94.7?

closing off more roads for the day ? doubt that will go down well.

Is there an easier way to get into Steyn City ? Not from Jozi so dont know, but if not then will it really help having a shorter route. They still going to hurt on those last few climbs.

is there a medium/short route at Comrades as well?

My 6th and I couldn't agree more....it was tough. I see no point in the finish being so hard the sad part about it is that majority of participants are weekend warriors and this race is suppose to be fun. There were more people walking to the finish than riding for the guys that started late and this is suppose to be a cycle race. 

in my opinion the Organizers need to change the route to accommodate for the masses. 

Its like saying, make Mt Everest flatter, so that more people can enjoy climbing it and less people die.

It is what it is, fail once, do more next time.

It never gets easier.

SNIP...

When the charities have to pay for their stand at the expo @ R25000 for 1m x 3m - no wonder the expo could really be improved as it was actually quite bad and small this year - the costs are driving away the exibitioners.

Don't mean to rant at all but the whole "RIDE FOR A PURPOSE" has been lost unless the purpose is profits - the charities have never been more out of pocket to participate in the event - even if the profits where to go back into other charities chosen by the event.

There should be no reason for the organisers to charge charities no matter who they are, for anything at the expo or the event as there are many others that could more than make up the funds required to have this event.

Edited by s14phoenix

Was my 13th I think, really enjoyed the morning out despite zero biking fitness... luckily running helps a bit. Did 4:20 odd on my mtb, the knobblies definitely eat the legs a little more, but I got it done despite some close calls with quad cramps towards the end.

Great vibe on the route, sure starting to look like a good party for the supporters

Waterpoints were great, warm'ish beer at the finish an absolute disaster (I demand a refund!!!)

Same time same place next year, hopefully fighting fit and back on a roadbike - I thought I wouldn't miss her, but man I do :blush:

Knobblies on tar tsk tsk ☝️

Not sure which is the bigger sin, slicks on a mtb or knobblies on tar

Was my 13th I think, really enjoyed the morning out despite zero biking fitness... luckily running helps a bit. Did 4:20 odd on my mtb, the knobblies definitely eat the legs a little more, but I got it done despite some close calls with quad cramps towards the end.

Great vibe on the route, sure starting to look like a good party for the supporters

Waterpoints were great, warm'ish beer at the finish an absolute disaster (I demand a refund!!!)

Same time same place next year, hopefully fighting fit and back on a roadbike - I thought I wouldn't miss her, but man I do :blush:

Oh yes.... well done on 13

The 947 remains a superbly organised spectacle. Hats of the organisers and COJ. It truly is something to be proud of. 

My day didn't quite go as planned. After missing out last year and riding with the missus in 2015 I was seeded in G this year. I knew it was a big bunch and I had to start towards the front as only the first 50 went under 3 in 2016. Arrived early and eventually got onto the start line in the second line of riders. The first part of the plan worked out perfectly.

I went out hard and stuck to the lead group up Mnandi. Man, that's a savage start to the race. Found myself in the red but managed to stick with the front bunch. I knew I just had to survive to Kyalami after which there would be some recovery. But then, 10km in, a rider in front of me crashed and I had nowhere to go but down. Luckily nothing serious and I could get up and ride on. However, by the time I was on my bike again the bunch was gone, never to be seen again.

The problem with this part of the field is that it's very disorganised and there aren't many bunches to speak of. Rode half the highway alone before a large bunch consisting mostly of the Proud Beginnings cycle club came through. I was really impressed with these riders and how they helped each other in the bunch. Down Jan Smuts the bunch became very disorganised again and it turned into each man for himself again, which stayed like that pretty much until the end.

The legs hurt up Cedar but I pushed on. Felt better going up Steyn City but the 3 hour mark just ticked by as I exited Steyn City. Lost some motivation after that and finished in 3:07.

Haven't gone under 3 hours since 2013. It must happen again in 2018.

After an unexpected (but much needed) cycling hiatus my non-existent 2017 seeding sent me right to the back for a late, warm and windy start. What an experience it was to ride with the agterosse! Never did I know that people actually do this for 5+ hours of FUN – I’m talking averaging 15km/h, chatting away, listening to cool tunes on funny-looking pocket speakers and catching a quick break under trees and bridges with some Amstels, Pringles and a few smokes. What a jol…for them!

As for me…jas, the first time in my “riding career” I spent an entire race on my own in wind and heat. Literally…and it was taai! The last 10km saw me dig deep and my legs started swearing at me when the uninvited Steyn City climb arrived. Dragged home after a brutal 3.14 starting in Group JJ. The upside…for the first time in my life I ended top 5 out of my batch :clap: :clap: :clap: . A lekker day, an amazingly well organised event and some quality training for them calves.

I do have a gripe though, and a big one. Guys doing second laps: please be more considerate of the other not-so-fast-and-seasoned late starters. I saw some nasties being thrown at slow riders by second lappers and it’s just not right (one windgat would constantly shout “keep left, keep your line, get out of the way” while riding 4 abreast with his mates, hogging the road). A mate of mine started in LL and he said the exact same thing. Okes, you’ve had your ride and your fun, consider the 2nd lap as a courtesy offered to you by both the organisers and late starters doing their ride.                

Edited by Karooryder

Knobblies on tar tsk tsk ☝️

Not sure which is the bigger sin, slicks on a mtb or knobblies on tar

Ahh the versatility of a MTB  :P

Its like saying, make Mt Everest flatter, so that more people can enjoy climbing it and less people die.

It is what it is, fail once, do more next time.

It never gets easier.

You possibly cannot compare Mt Everest with 94.7 come on really.

Compare it to argus and amashova if you want and both are more fun not only because of the seneary but also the route profile.

We not gonna get 27000 ppl training for sub 3’s lets be realistic. The masses just want to go enjoy joburg with the safety of the full road closures.

Im ranting not cos I suffered im just ranting cos of what i witnessed going back to my car after sitting at the hospitality for 2 hrs guys were still pouring in walking up the hills before the finish

Edited by RFC311

I do have a gripe though, and a big one. Guys doing second laps: please be more considerate of the other not-so-fast-and-seasoned late starters. I saw some nasties being thrown at slow riders by second lappers and it’s just not right (one windgat would constantly shout “keep left, keep your line, get out of the way” while riding 4 abreast with his mates, hogging the road). A mate of mine started in LL and he said the exact same thing. Okes, you’ve had your ride and your fun, consider the 2nd lap as a courtesy offered to you by both the organisers and late starters doing their ride.                

That is not on, whoever you are mister 4-riders-abreast you should feel ashamed.

Just to keep in mind: 90% of the time that normal cyclists would shout at riders "keep left" etc is for safety purposes and to avoid an impending collision.

We were 3 riders riding together on the 2nd lap and we were going at a relatively slow pace as my legs didn't have much oomph left, but yet the speed difference between us and the late starters on many of the sections were definitely a risk factor as people swerve across the road due to fatigue. So on a couple of occasions we also just made the riders aware that we are passing on their left or right, and a couple of them might have taken offence at that, even though it was definitely not a shout.

That said, I don't see the allure of the 2nd lap, but that is just my experience. I am pretty sure I won't be doing it again.

After an unexpected (but much needed) cycling hiatus my non-existent 2017 seeding sent me right to the back for a late, warm and windy start. What an experience it was to ride with the agterosse! Never did I know that people actually do this for 5+ hours of FUN – I’m talking averaging 15km/h, chatting away, listening to cool tunes on funny-looking pocket speakers and catching a quick break under trees and bridges with some Amstels, Pringles and a few smokes. What a jol…for them!

As for me…jas, the first time in my “riding career” I spent an entire race on my own in wind and heat. Literally…and it was taai! The last 10km saw me dig deep and my legs started swearing at me when the uninvited Steyn City climb arrived. Dragged home after a brutal 3.14 starting in Group JJ. The upside…for the first time in my life I ended top 5 out of my batch :clap: :clap: :clap: . A lekker day, an amazingly well organised event and some quality training for them calves.

Couldnt agree more about the second loopers

No complaints, had an awesome day out, seemed tougher than last year somehow, that must be in my head of course.

2016 did 3:51 from HH, 2017 did 3:46 from K

Both rides solo, no bunch stuff.

Told my missus that in order to do better times I need to upgrade my bike,

Wondering if she will buy that nonsense, worth a try! He he.

I see it every year.  As soon as people sit on the saddle their brains switch off.  So many times especially at water points. Guys pull the very right hand side of the road, get off their bikes and walk right across the road to the water point on the left. Not looking at cyclist coming from behind. Seem so many accidents and near misses like this.  Wake up people!!