Telkom 947 Cycle Challenge - #CC2017

Bonus

Hi all.

I have a noob question: :eek:

I'm participating in the road event and will do it via my trusty MTB (equipped with alpha male slicks for the said event). I'm currently able to fairly comfortable complete 40-60km MTB rides with knobblies and is as such wondering about the amount of water required for such an event.

Should I take a 2L camelbak classic type of setup for some additional energy replenishing along the way or are the water points close enough to avoid the camelbak setup and simply refuel between stations (using only a water bottle and the energy replenishment being provided)?

Did the Carnival 103 km comfortable with one 750 ml bottle. The sun was not shining but I think 2 x 750 ml + waterpoints should be more than enough. Good luck with your race!!!

Sent from my LG-M400 using Tapatalk

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi all.

I have a noob question:  :eek:

I'm participating in the road event and will do it via my trusty MTB (equipped with alpha male slicks for the said event). I'm currently able to fairly comfortable complete 40-60km MTB rides with knobblies and is as such wondering about the amount of water required for such an event.

Should I take a 2L camelbak classic type of setup for some additional energy replenishing along the way or are the water points close enough to avoid the camelbak setup and simply refuel between stations (using only a water bottle and the energy replenishment being provided)? 

Rode with my dad 2 years ago and he is a serial water drinker. Didn't have issues once, probably filled up 5 bottles along the route for him. More than enough water tables.

Hi all.

I have a noob question: :eek:

How many hours do you spend on the 40-60km MTB rides, and how much water do you consume in that time?

The same setup on the 947 should give you an indication of the time you can ride without filling up. There are more water points in the second half compared to the first half.

Edit: I use 2x 600ml on lap 1, but probably 4x 600ml on lap 2. Cooler temperatures for the first half of lap 1 compared to riding in the heat of the day on lap 2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will be riding my 4th consecutive 94.7 this year and cannot wait, as it will be my first on a road bike. My previous 3 rides were on a MTB.

I am travelling up from Durban, and staying with family in Sandton on Friday night through to Sunday.

Are there any clubs/groups that will be riding a warm-up/leg-spinner on Saturday morning, that I could join? I was thinking of joining the Twitter Ride, but I have heard some negative feedback about it, saying that they ride a lot faster than the claimed 24/25 km/hr, so that's put me off.

I will be riding my 4th consecutive 94.7 this year and cannot wait, as it will be my first on a road bike. My previous 3 rides were on a MTB.

I am travelling up from Durban, and staying with family in Sandton on Friday night through to Sunday.

Are there any clubs/groups that will be riding a warm-up/leg-spinner on Saturday morning, that I could join? I was thinking of joining the Twitter Ride, but I have heard some negative feedback about it, saying that they ride a lot faster than the claimed 24/25 km/hr, so that's put me off.

Please dont forget to bring the camera, always nnice to watch the race afterwards.

The kiddies race on Saturday will be my lighties first ever race. Will be a great start to his cycling career as I inform him that going to register for a race very far away a few days prior is a k@k idea. WTF the kiddies registration is Thursday or Friday 09h00-17h00. Surely this can be done on the day? He is 2 years old, doesn't need to walk around an expo at that age.

The kiddies race on Saturday will be my lighties first ever race. Will be a great start to his cycling career as I inform him that going to register for a race very far away a few days prior is a k@k idea. WTF the kiddies registration is Thursday or Friday 09h00-17h00. Surely this can be done on the day? He is 2 years old, doesn't need to walk around an expo at that age.

Hi

There is a joint number collection for Kiddies and MTB on the Thur and Friday. There will also be a late number collection on the day if you cant get to the expo (number only). 

Not long now . . . .  :-)

.....based on the feverish last minute training going on in the Cradle this morning!

Has anyone done the 25km mountain bike ride before? How hard is it (i.e. for a 13 and 11 year old please)?

Entry list on the first page of this thread is looking a bit thin......

Unless you have more or less followed from the start you won't know about it.

Entry list on the first page of this thread is looking a bit thin......

Unless you have more or less followed from the start you won't know about it.

I've also heard a lot of people complaining about the steep entry fee.

I've also heard a lot of people complaining about the steep entry fee.

Suits me fine, the less people to enter the better my odds are to win :clap: 

Archived