Flat Earthers

Escapee..

The thing I can never understand about conspiracy theorist types is that they will so easily and instantly latch on to something that someone says or something that they read but then once that idea is in their head, no amount of explaining/ persuading/ proving can ever convince them to change their mind. I don't get it? They can just read one small unsupported article on some random website and then all of a sudden it becomes the LAW in their own mind - even to the point of becoming heavily suspicious of anything that is against their newfound theory.

I dunno, I can't figure it out!

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The thing I can never understand about conspiracy theorist types is that they will so easily and instantly latch on to something that someone says or something that they read but then once that idea is in their head, no amount of explaining/ persuading/ proving can ever convince them to change their mind. I don't get it? They can just read one small unsupported article on some random website and then all of a sudden it becomes the LAW in their own mind - even to the point of becoming heavily suspicious of anything that is against their newfound theory.

I dunno, I can't figure it out!

Confirmation bias. So easy to get when holding on to an ideology. 

The persistence of the anti-intellectualism movement is really concerning.

It is probably also spurred on by the interwebs. Pre-internet it was not as easy for dumb asses to spread their messages far and wide. Now every poephol with some half-baked conspiracy theory or anti-intellectual chip on his shoulder can broadcast his brain-diarrhea the world over.  

LOL. Science a religion. LOL. Science is the study of things we do not understand, and the attempt to understand those things which we see / find, and is subject to constant revision should there be sufficient conflicting information.

Religion is the attribution of everything to a higher power. Nothing is subject to revision. God always did it. 

Flat earthers, chem-trailers, moon landing sceptics, anti vaxxers, climate change denialists... the list goes on. All batty, and essentially argue from an ideological standpoint. Meaning, really, that no amount of evidence presented as a counter-argument will change their views.

Jip, they are all the same. No amount of evidence will change their minds, unfortunately.

What I also find infuriating, is someone who is believes in climate-change but not that vaccinations are safe (or vice versa).

Rational person: "Why do you believe in climate change?"

Anti-vaxxer: "because the scientific evidence and consensus among climate scientists is overwhelming".

Rational person: "So why don't you believe vaccines are safe and don't cause autism, when the scientific evidence and consensus among doctors and medical scientists is overwhelming?".

Anti-vaxxer: "You can't trust the scientists. Here watch this YouTube video made by some former movie star/playboy model/David Avocado Wolfe which proves vaccines cause the autism and are full of chemikillz". 

Seeing more and more of this popping up in my social media feeds.

What say the hub?

Isn`t science the same as religion?

And is the EARTH FLAT?  :eek:

You should take a good look in the mirror, your media feed reflects the type of people you choose to follow and engage with so it really is a reflection of you....  :ph34r:  

The Flat Earth Society got members all around the Globe ! 

Yup its a real thing

post-7-0-38762100-1496834597_thumb.jpg

You should take a good look in the mirror, your media feed reflects the type of people you choose to follow and engage with so it really is a reflection of you....  :ph34r:  

:w00t:

Came up when I guy I know commented on a post.

"Common sense should tell you that a fixed dish at your home cannot communicate with a moving satellite" 

:w00t:

Came up when I guy I know commented on a post.

"Common sense should tell you that a fixed dish at your home cannot communicate with a moving satellite"

Bahahahahahahahaha!

Obviously hasn't heard of geosynchronous orbit

Bahahahahahahahaha!

Obviously hasn't heard of geosynchronous orbit

made up word.... that orbit thing does not exist.... :ph34r: 

its just far away enough, :nuke: not to be affected by gravity. 

Bahahahahaha!

Obviously hasn't heard the difference between geosynchronous and geostationary orbits.... :ph34r:  :ph34r:

giphy.gif