Braai etiket...

The expat cyclist

In that case my condolences. Was a rough 2 years!!!! My family farms in Burgersdorp, still very little sign of the drought letting up. Enjoy the braai!!!! I'm off to go do veg shopping, got a potjie today! :clap:

Burgersdorp, I know that place well. My mom has a B&B in Oviston, and whenever we visit the B&B, we take a drive through to Burgersdorp for groceries sometimes. We got some of the B&B's furniture from Berg Meubels in Burgersdorp as well. Hagenhuis is usually our go to restaurant for a coffee and lunch, if we don't visit Tjailatyd at the dam wall.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't you live in Durban..? Why are you buying fish in Checkers..? ;)

I must say, I've never bought fish sosaties, but I often buy whole or filleted fish from the fishmonger in the Checkers Hyper. a few things, like angel fish, is only about R70.00 a kilo.

Checkers Hyper is the place to be for fish then [emoji106]

I know you didn't ask, but when it comes to fish you'll need to teach yourself what it is you like and how you like it.

Fish is very person specific especially on the braai and you need to work through a few pieces and whole fish to get to what you like.

Experimentation is key and keeping your eye on the fish is 80% of the process, don't be shy to test as you go off the grid and some whole fish are superb when braaied on the scales only - red roman, slingers come to mind.

Some fish are dual purpose; swordfish; good for pan fry but also delectable when steamed with lemon grass water...a new world of yummy awaits you :thumbup:

And when all else fails, sardines over the coals FTW

Cannot agree more. I am not fond of fish... Braai'ed forel once loooong time ago.

Then bought this Sunday morning in Mozambique on the beach right out of the sea.

post-57300-0-32267500-1513445644_thumb.jpg

Kept it very simple. Just onions, fresh garlic, lemon pepper, salt and some butter.

post-57300-0-05020400-1513445656_thumb.jpg

Kept it closed on medium coals for while, then opened it and added lots of lemon juice.

post-57300-0-94063300-1513445673_thumb.jpg

Simply delicious. Food for 5.

So, need help. Not sure if I have asked this before. I am doing a huge pork shoulder on the Weber tomorrow. Have done every type of roast except pork many times. What’s the best way to cook it to ensure taste and crackling?

So, need help. Not sure if I have asked this before. I am doing a huge pork shoulder on the Weber tomorrow. Have done every type of roast except pork many times. What’s the best way to cook it to ensure taste and crackling?

Never done it myself, but if you Google 'pork shoulder Weber' there are quite a few links.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

INDIRECT HEAT in the Weber is THE way to do pork.

Make your coals in the 2 little mesh baskets on the side, put a drip tray in the middle, position the pork shoulder in the middle over the drip tray. If the shoulder is still on the bone, then keep it like that, or if you know how, de-bone it and roll it. It's a bit tricky advising on cooking time, because it will depend on how hot it is. In my Weber, if I make the two baskets full of coals, with both the bottom and top vents totally open, I will leave a largeish piece of meat like a leg of lamb or a shoulder of pork for about 40 minutes before I open it to have a look see. If it is not cooked right yet, I'll give it 5 or 10 minute intervals to carry on and check again. Hope it helps.

Yesterday's braai. The hake fillets came out tastier than they would in a convection oven, but Lurch has sent me his recipe for Angel fish, so our next fish braai will consist of Angel fish.

795fb542f0964c366c3ba059c11a723c.jpg

Had never thought of doing a bake fillet on the Braai before, did you baste it with lemon butter? Don’t let the Braai Kings see those briquettes ????

Had never thought of doing a bake fillet on the Braai before, did you baste it with lemon butter? Don’t let the Braai Kings see those briquettes [emoji15]

I didn't think about lemon butter, perhaps I'll do that next time. I just seasoned it with Himalayan salt, Robertsons Spice for Fish, and Robertsons Crushed Garlic.

"Braai'ed out"?? :o What is this "braai'ed out" thing you speak of? :blink: I have never heard of that before...

:P  :D

Will definitely never hear that from my misses. She starts walking around with one foul attitude if she has not had braaied tjops for a week. 

Here is my recipe to braai fish. 

BRAAI SAUCE

1 large bottle cheap mayonnaise

1 cup lemon juice (Lecol or the likes) Add more if you like.

Juice from a fresh lemon and might as well add some rind.

Many finely diced onions

Herbs etc to your preference

Boil (cook) this lot up together adding water to keep it thickish.

Not necessary to scale or skin the fish, just gut it and use pieces, fillets or steaks.

Apply generous portions on the scale side and put this onto the grid first.  Put more sauce onto the top.

Using an egg lifter (metal!), remove the flesh from the skin and flip over. The skin with scales sticks to the grid and the flesh becomes easy to remove. Apply more sauce and some.....

The beauty about this is that the skin and scales remain behind, (less prep) the sauce seems to bind the flesh, the mayonnaise is cooked off so you cannot taste it çept for the lemon.

Browns up nicely and the fish does not stick to the griddle.

Remaining sauce can be used on the table for those who like it so much.

Freezes well if not all used up.

It’s a pleasure……

Edited by Sepia

Juice from a fresh lemon and might as well add some rind.

Are you using the whole rind pieces or are you you making a lemon zest?

I personally don't like the whole pieces as I find the parts where it lay have an overpowering lemon taste.

Are you using the whole rind pieces or are you you making a lemon zest?

I personally don't like the whole pieces as I find the parts where it lay have an overpowering lemon taste.

Used a grater and took the outer skin off the lemon.