Please help a preemie

2bliss

• Replies 800
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a preemie once. My wife wasn't very impressed. 

(just kidding - it's Friday)

It's Friday and we can have some fun as things are going so well :P

There is no stopping Bunny! She is on four bottles (and Mommy), but still has the NG tube too. She has passed her hearing test with flying colours. The doc says that if she continues to improve at this rate that she will probably go home in a week or so :D

There is no stopping Bunny! She is on four bottles (and Mommy), but still has the NG tube too. She has passed her hearing test with flying colours. The doc says that if she continues to improve at this rate that she will probably go home in a week or so :D

Bunny isn't a preemie any more... now she is a baby.... next step... teething.... then teenager....

Hope there will be a 1st birthday party with hubber invites.. ????

Karmi's parents are going through a rough time. The little boy mentioned a few pages back, also born at 28 weeks, passed away yesterday. They are not only sympathizing with the parents, but are reliving the death of Karmi's twin.

A parent never really gets over the death of a child but with their attention having been focused on Karmi's wellbeing and nothing else, I don't think they've really been able to grieve for her brother.

Please hold in your hearts the parents of the little guy who lost a brave fight yesterday.

Update:

Bunny is doing very well. Only 2 of her feeds are via the nasal tube now. She is drinking 8 bottles and has started to breastfeed a bit. She weighs 1.920kg which is more than double her birth weight! Hearing test has been passed with flying colours. :) I'm sure she will be going home soon.

Below are pics of Bunny in her new accommodations (no more spaceship) and another of her being held. She is so peaceful and sleeps in all her pics. I don't even know what colour her eyes are! :D Mom says it is hard to tell, but they think perhaps blue like her daddy's.

post-63219-0-88044700-1506326344_thumb.jpg

post-63219-0-57969200-1506326358_thumb.jpg

The big day is finally upon us. After 71 days in NICU and PICU, Karmi is going home tomorrow!!! :)

Thank you all for your continued support throughout this rollercoaster ride. You have played a role in her recovery, as well as helping her parents cope with emotional and financial stress.

A summary of what our little Bunny has overcome:

- After a very difficult and traumatic birth, doctors at first thought that she hadn't survived.

- She had a brain bleed and a hole in her heart.

- She had to be resuscitated three times over the following days.

- Ventilators, from which she had to be weaned over 6 weeks, kept her breathing.

- A collapsed lung, aspiration and pneumonia were further complications.

- Two central venous lines both became infected.

- Anemia of prematurity required 7 blood transfusions to ensure adequate oxygen perfusion. (Thank you to all blood donors out there!)

- At first her tummy could not digest milk. They started with 1 ml, but when they reached 7 ml they had to wait a week and start over.

That is all in the past. Like V12Man said, she is now a baby and no longer a preemie. She has grown from 32cm to 46cm and has doubled her 950g birth weight. Her eyes and ears seem to be fine.

There is just so much to be grateful for...

At last!

What a ride this has been.

Well done to all involved in this remarkable progress.

(Still look forward to regular feedback and pics though)

Have to hand it to you 2bliss. You are the central figure in all the support.

Does the dear child have a name?

Edited by Sepia

At last!What a ride this has been.Well done to all involved in this remarkable progress.(Still look forward to regular feedback and pics though)Have to hand it to you 2bliss. You are the central figure in all the support.Does the dear child have a name?

Karmi/Bunny

At last!What a ride this has been.Well done to all involved in this remarkable progress.(Still look forward to regular feedback and pics though)Have to hand it to you 2bliss. You are the central figure in all the support.Does the dear child have a name?

Her name is Karmi Parsons. Updates won't be daily anymore, but I promise to post milestones and the occasional cute pic ;)

EDIT: @TALUS: Don't worry, I'll post her with all progressive wheel sizes, starting at balance bike :P

Edited by 2bliss

Her name is Karmi Parsons. Updates won't be daily anymore, but I promise to post milestones and the occasional cute pic ;)

EDIT: @TALUS: Don't worry, I'll post her with all progressive wheel sizes, starting at balance bike :P

Thank you.

Edited by Sepia

The big day is finally upon us. After 71 days in NICU and PICU, Karmi is going home tomorrow!!! :)

Thank you all for your continued support throughout this rollercoaster ride. You have played a role in her recovery, as well as helping her parents cope with emotional and financial stress.

A summary of what our little Bunny has overcome:

- After a very difficult and traumatic birth, doctors at first thought that she hadn't survived.

- She had a brain bleed and a hole in her heart.

- She had to be resuscitated three times over the following days.

- Ventilators, from which she had to be weaned over 6 weeks, kept her breathing.

- A collapsed lung, aspiration and pneumonia were further complications.

- Two central venous lines both became infected.

- Anemia of prematurity required 7 blood transfusions to ensure adequate oxygen perfusion. (Thank you to all blood donors out there!)

- At first her tummy could not digest milk. They started with 1 ml, but when they reached 7 ml they had to wait a week and start over.

That is all in the past. Like V12Man said, she is now a baby and no longer a preemie. She has grown from 32cm to 46cm and has doubled her 950g birth weight. Her eyes and ears seem to be fine.

There is just so much to be grateful for...

Brilliant

Again Nicole, please convey our appreciation to this amazing family for allowing us to be a part of Karmi's intro to the world from afar.