[Event] Cape Town Cycle Tour 2018

Pure Savage

Unless the DA do some fancy footwork and some real bargaining with outcomes it will happen again and will spell the death of the Argus.

I have been in Masiphumalele and the conditions are appalling

For a start allocate some of the "charities"purse to fixing the junior school there

It is about time Felicity Purchase and Mark Wiley start sorting it out!

Edited by Kranswurm

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cape Town will not be Cape Town anymore by March 2018 it will be waterless Cape Town.

Jip....Mayor Do Little better get a move on. ..otherwise Day Zero will be a reality. ..????

Unless the DA do some fancy footwork and some real bargaining with outcomes it will happen again and will spell the death of the Argus.

I have been in Masiphumalele and the conditions are appalling

For a start allocate some of the "charities"purse to fixing the junior school there

It is about time Felicity Purchase and Mark Wiley start sorting it out!

That is an interesting suggestion and it may just gain the Argus a lot of goodwill. I know, I know, the intricacies of PPA, the CT Cycle Tour and where all the money go......

..........but imagine if a BIG CHUNK of the money goes towards ONE MOERSE VERY VISIBLE project, exactly like properly fixing a community school, QUICKLY, FOR ALL TO SEE, with community participation and all.

A bit out the box, and I know the other charities are also deserving, but I think that someone must at least consider something like that! I, for one, will volunteer my own and my teams' labour for a few days to do something like painting out a classroom or two.

That is an interesting suggestion and it may just gain the Argus a lot of goodwill. I know, I know, the intricacies of PPA, the CT Cycle Tour and where all the money go......

..........but imagine if a BIG CHUNK of the money goes towards ONE MOERSE VERY VISIBLE project, exactly like properly fixing a community school, QUICKLY, FOR ALL TO SEE, with community participation and all.

A bit out the box, and I know the other charities are also deserving, but I think that someone must at least consider something like that! I, for one, will volunteer my own and my teams' labour for a few days to do something like painting out a classroom or two.

Good man...that is what is required

I'm not at all surprised by this. We all sort of always knew that there is a risk that a race might get cancelled for some unforeseen reason, but we all just never think it would actually happen since it never happened.

The fact that 2 out of the last 3 races were cancelled just made us realised that this is a more definite reality than we thought and because of this all cyclists traveling to CT will think twice about risking there money.

I did enter and I'm pretty confident that the organisers and City Counsel have plans in place to prevent what happened in 2017, but the possibility of 2017 repeating itself is very real.

The fact that 2 out of the last 3 races were cancelled just made us realised that this is a more definite reality than we thought and because of this all cyclists traveling to CT will think twice about risking there money.

Correction, make that 1 out of 40...

2015 wasn't cancelled

Correction, make that 1 out of 40...

2015 wasn't cancelled

Correct, it was shortened. However, the point I was trying to make was.....aagh don't bother.

Correct, it was shortened. However, the point I was trying to make was.....aagh don't bother.

What I see is that there was one cancellation in the history of the event and now half the hub is certain there will never ever be a Cape Town Cycle Tour again. Not quite ready to join the pity party  ^_^

I dont think they should get extra money because they blocked the road etc. There are many communities, many in a lot worse shape than them that benefit from the charities. The charities go through the effort to apply and show the benefit to their community etc. Why should they be overlooked because someone shouted louder?

Edited by Pure Savage

What I see is that there was one cancellation in the history of the event and now half the hub is certain there will never ever be a Cape Town Cycle Tour again. Not quite ready to join the pity party  ^_^

One and a half

They stopped the race on top of Ou Kaapse because of the heat and lack of water

Good idea, but there should be some ground rules such as:

1. The amount donated should be coupled to the number of finishers. That will motivate the community that will benefit to not only support the event but to also persuade other communities to not interfere.

2. Any community that disrupts the event must be disqualified from benefitting in future. 

I see this thread repeating itself over and over for the next few months. . . Every week we have some useful discussion about the race, some jokes about the wind, then someone who hasn't bothered to read the previous 25 pages of discussion proceeds to post his: "But won't the protestors just do it again???".

The truth is we won't and don't know until the day. I presume we will continue to speculate, and I presume I will probably get flamed again for posting this again, but I will keep posting it every few weeks as the general trend seems to be to hate on the Argus, and I feel like some positivity is needed in this thread.

It's a great race, hell I have only managed to do it once and I fell in love.

I see this thread repeating itself over and over for the next few months. . . Every week we have some useful discussion about the race, some jokes about the wind, then someone who hasn't bothered to read the previous 25 pages of discussion proceeds to post his: "But won't the protestors just do it again???".

The truth is we won't and don't know until the day. I presume we will continue to speculate, and I presume I will probably get flamed again for posting this again, but I will keep posting it every few weeks as the general trend seems to be to hate on the Argus, and I feel like some positivity is needed in this thread.

It's a great race, hell I have only managed to do it once and I fell in love.

No wind predicted on race day!!