LeoKnight

Something to note that caught me by surprise - no matter how hot the day was, the nights were moer cold.  We had the pretty tents with the duvets and even with that you could feel Jack Frost nipping through......So take enough warm stuff for the evening......kort broek khaki is not going to wing it.

just for interest sake - this is certainly the coldest October in years !!  The HVAC industry normally makes good money in October, dont think anybody has needed their air-con yet ....

So maybe good in terms of the riding temps...  which also means the nights are substantially cooler ...  guess that is better than HOT days ...

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This was my first w2w. 

Was really a privilege to ride through those beautiful trails.

Herewith my 2 cents:

The registration:

Really well organised. Hardly queued considering the amount of people.

Disappointed in the swop out of shirts. Was like a grand eastern bizarre. Not good enough telling ridders that it can't be done and they should do it at Oak Valley. Who wants to do that before or after day one? How do other races like Berg & Bush manage so well?

Rotary:

What a great service. On time and very convenient. 

The routes:

Hard to be disgruntled when one gets to experience such beauty. (I live in JHB).

Very clearly signed.

Frustrating just how off the race profiles are compared to the ride. (Elevation and distance)

All in all, I got full value for money being allowed to ride those trails in the manner in which we did.

I saw plenty of medical assistance to ridders who needed it. 

The portage was umm interesting for a first time experience. 

Timing:

My strava and garmin recorded different times to the race officials. O well - I was far from the podium so in the bigger picture if I started in a batch earlier it wouldn't have made the race any more enjoyable.

Ridding Etiquette:

Amazed at just how inconsiderate some riders are.

Ridding two abreast so they can have a fat chat. I know it was the Adventure and not the race but hey, its a safety thing. 

You then get the hero who insists on overtaking you on the single track (without asking to pass at any stage) I can only assume that's the guy who is partnered with the wrong person or couldn't get an entry into the Race. 

Saw plenty of ridders litter along the route.

Also plenty of water bottles...

Technical sections where not too tough, the bottle necks made them tricky. No momentum... 

Accommodation:

We never stayed in the Race Village.

Water Stations:

Really well thought through. The right distances apart. Very friendly faces and welcoming.

The food could have been a lot better - but hey, we never went to a restaurant.

What upset me more was the ridders who never took off their gloves and insisted on helping themselves with their dirty hands.

My favourite section of the race: The Hemel Forrest in the last 10km's. Sheer Beauty. 

My least favourite section: A-Z - bottle necks and nothing spectacular. 

Will I do this race again, FOR SURE! (costs depending)

I would like the group's opinion on something. The chill zone was great, but since when is it OK to leave your plakkie or cap on a bean bag and suddenly no one else is allowed to use it? There is no way I am sitting on the floor while a baseball cap is occupying a seat. Fortunately it turns out people that people who do this is probably by nature passive aggressive. When you take the seat and put the cap aside, they are not very confrontational when they return...probably because they know they are wrong.

SNIP

Fully Agree

I would like the group's opinion on something. The chill zone was great, but since when is it OK to leave your plakkie or cap on a bean bag and suddenly no one else is allowed to use it? There is no way I am sitting on the floor while a baseball cap is occupying a seat. Fortunately it turns out people that people who do this is probably by nature passive aggressive. When you take the seat and put the cap aside, they are not very confrontational when they return...probably because they know they are wrong.

Had the same wrt to the beanbags. Even some okes using 2-3 bags?

We were riding from F and about 10 riders were standing waiting to cross a bridge(yes they should ride it bla bla) and MR "I am so cool" came walking past everyone in an attempt to get to the front cause he is better than anyone waiting there

hahahaha true true, if they come back after being away for 15-30mins & claim they were sitting there then i tune them back well i sat here last year, yes on this very seat.

Spinnekop.

Glad you enjoyed the majority of the race route.

Unfortunately (or is it it fortunately?) the portage section is part of the allure that is W2W and there is no real alternative route to avoid it.

Don't worry, I also hated it, caused me severe cramps for remainder of day one, and the majority of day two. Luckily the brilliant single track sections more than made up for it.

Bike setup please?  :thumbup:

HT? DS? Tyres? Etc.

Cannondale Scalpel 4

DS

Maxiss Icon.

I weigh 80kg.  Ran pressure of 1.6bar front and rear.

No punctures or issues.

1 x 11 32-11/42

Guys, remember the portage is an official historic site, thus even if you could ride it, you must walk it. And as mentioned it is the only "natural way" across the mountain range to link up to the Grabouw side. I guess one could find another route, but this is a USP of W2W (for now).

W2W has always been worth it as a ride - amaazing trails!

BUT of course, that is only part of what you are paying for. So if the other things become a let-down or unacceptable, then it's time to move on.

Food is a major factor - it is what makes our engines run the next day. So, as experienced at Epic too, if the food is k$k or not enough to go around, then this is a deciding factor in entering.

Otherwise give us the option to sort our own food and bring down the entry fee.

It seems a lot of events are embarking on more and more cost-cutting exercises....thus quality is dropping.....

Anyway, enjoy your Ride and Race boyz and girlz

What a tos day out. It was nuts with the heat. I bailed at WP3. My body completely shut down. Many people was extracted other side of mountain because of dehydration. At some points we measured 45 degrees

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Day 1 of the ride.. omw had so much fun. Set out to fully enjoy the race and that I did, which was helped /not helped by a partner that had a tummy bug or something. So we sort of had to take it easier and extend our WP breaks. Now just waiting for that hour long massage ????????

QUESTION - would like to know if Hermanus trails will be open for normal public riding on Tuesday ?

As I have it that is day day three of the event, ie on Wednesday.

I am in the area for business tomorrow, and would like to do the 12km ride in the morning.

Okay.

Mini report

So day 1.

Technical......definitely. Can you ride everything (except the portage)....most definitely yes.

It was a very hard day out. The wind made it extra tough.

Very enjoyable in general. Proper mountain biking full of adventure

The walking....I can honestly not think of any reason why any bike rider should ever do an event that forces you to walk.

Let's do rugby and then in the middle of the game throw in a little cricket with a touch of ballet. Bollie man.

Get a route that I can ride. That is why I am there.

So the walking part up the mountain was just stupid beyond stupid.

Was it hard? Jip. Can't push your bike all the way up.....to narrow at spots. Carrying your bike on your back is just kakka. Mountain BIKING people.........get with the program.

?

The Portage has been the bane of the route builder's existence for many years. I remember chatting to him about alternatives in 2012 and it hasn't really changed.

There are 3 other routes over the mountain.

1 is the N2. No go.

Another is via steenbras dam on the other side of n2, not exactly viable.

Door number 3 is via the tunnel that the train runs through. viable, but will come with its own challenges and people will loan about that as well.

The Ou Wapad goes through a nature reserve and a heritage site. Capenature isn't keen on a new trail through there.

It is what it is, and it has been a hallmark of W2W ever since it started.

Next time train better for it and it won't be as bad. Will still not be lekker though.

Oh, some people's idea of a good mountain bike ride entails carrying there bikes up the mountain on trails that are unrideable going up, and then riding down it. That is as much a part of the sport as a 3day stage race is.

The Portage has been the bane of the route builder's existence for many years. I remember chatting to him about alternatives in 2012 and it hasn't really changed.

There are 3 other routes over the mountain.

1 is the N2. No go.

Another is via steenbras dam on the other side of n2, not exactly viable.

Door number 3 is via the tunnel that the train runs through. viable, but will come with its own challenges and people will loan about that as well.

The Ou Wapad goes through a nature reserve and a heritage site. Capenature isn't keen on a new trail through there.

It is what it is, and it has been a hallmark of W2W ever since it started.

Next time train better for it and it won't be as bad. Will still not be lekker though.

Oh, some people's idea of a good mountain bike ride entails carrying there bikes up the mountain on trails that are unrideable going up, and then riding down it. That is as much a part of the sport as a 3day stage race is.

You mention all these facts as if I do not know about the heritage and what it is about? 

It's still *** to walk up there with your bike on your back.  Epic LOVES to do this to people.  Don't understand the reasoning. 

Next time train better for it?

Bahahahhahahaha.

If I find a mountain in Gauteng that steep with a horrible rocky path like that I'll try and remember your advice.

In the mean time I'll ride trails with my bike.  You know...the thing with wheels that roll....... :whistling:  :P

Thank #*($% it is only about 1% of the population that loves carrying a bike up a mountain otherwise EVERYONE would have been crossfitters or something.

Anyway.

It was fun doing this event.  I'd love to do it again if I ever get a chance. 

Good luck to the guys and girls battling the heat in the Ride.  It must be flippen hard!!

You mention all these facts as if I do not know about the heritage and what it is about? 

Did you not see the wagon tracks gouged into the rock face?  I find it fascinating to look at that and think of how hard it used to be to get over that mountain.  And you think it's hard on a mountain bike?!  Imagine a fully loaded ox wagon.

I recently specifically bought new MTB shoes with vibram soles and a bit more flex in the toes so that i can do more hike-a-bike stuff.  Well, not more but just so that I have a degree of safety when I am doing it anyway.  I must be part of the 1%.  

What a tos day out. It was nuts with the heat. I bailed at WP3. My body completely shut down. Many people was extracted other side of mountain because of dehydration. At some points we measured 45 degrees

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Moridin.

Can't believe that nobody has replied to this. Sorry to hear dude. Could you start the second day or are you out? What happend to your better half, is she still riding?

Archived