Chris Froome returns adverse analytical finding for Salbutamol

Andrew Steer

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When you fly close to the sun with "marginal gains" I guess you're gonna get it wrong sometimes and melt your wax wings.

On the upside - he isn't denying it. 

What WADA says:

The presence in urine of salbutamol in excess of 1000 ng/mL or formoterol in excess of 40 ng/mL is presumed not to be an intended therapeutic use of the substance and will be considered as an Adverse Analytical Finding (AAF) unless the Athlete proves, through a controlled pharmacokinetic study, that the abnormal result was the consequence of the use of the therapeutic dose (by inhalation) up to the maximum dose indicated above.

The detection in an Athlete’s Sample at all times or In-Competition, as applicable, of any quantity of the following substances subject to threshold limits: formoterol, salbutamol, cathine, ephedrine, methylephedrine and pseudoephedrine, in conjunction with a diuretic or masking agent, will be considered as an Adverse Analytical Finding (AAF) unless the Athlete has an approved Therapeutic Use Exemption (TUE) for that substance in addition to the one granted for the diuretic or masking agent.

What I can't find s the recommended sanction...

Edit: I reckon SKY will use the bold to slip the sanction.

Edited by Eldron

Salbutamol - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salbutamol
Salbutamol, also known as albuterol and marketed as Ventolin among other names, is a medication that opens up the medium and large airways in the lungs. It is used to treat asthma including asthma attacks, exercise-induced bronchoconstriction, and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). It may also be used to ...

anyone here with medical knowledge if the amount that was found is any good for normal/asthma peeps, asking for friend :whistling:

AFAIK even if you suck up those whole thing you won't get an adverse finding.

the injectable version is banned if over a certain dose

symbicort-inhaler1.jpg

When you fly close to the sun with "marginal gains" I guess you're gonna get it wrong sometimes and melt your wax wings.

On the upside - he isn't denying it. 

What WADA says:

The presence in urine of salbutamol in excess of 1000 ng/mL or formoterol in excess of 40 ng/mL is presumed not to be an intended therapeutic use of the substance and will be considered as an Adverse Analytical Finding (AAF) unless the Athlete proves, through a controlled pharmacokinetic study, that the abnormal result was the consequence of the use of the therapeutic dose (by inhalation) up to the maximum dose indicated above.

The detection in an Athlete’s Sample at all times or In-Competition, as applicable, of any quantity of the following substances subject to threshold limits: formoterol, salbutamol, cathine, ephedrine, methylephedrine and pseudoephedrine, in conjunction with a diuretic or masking agent, will be considered as an Adverse Analytical Finding (AAF) unless the Athlete has an approved Therapeutic Use Exemption (TUE) for that substance in addition to the one granted for the diuretic or masking agent.

What I can't find s the recommended sanction...

Edit: I reckon SKY will use the bold to slip the sanction.

Pettachi got one year and Ulissi 9 months for Salbutamol 

Froome with asthma is not a new thing

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/froome_inhale.jpg

Salbutamol - Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salbutamol

Salbutamol, also known as albuterol and marketed as Ventolin among other names, is a medication that opens up the medium and large airways in the lungs. It is used to treat asthma including asthma attacks, exercise-induced bronchoconstriction, and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). It may also be used to ...

Further...

Doping[edit]

There is no compelling evidence that salbutamol and other β2 agonists can increase performance in healthy athletes.[26] In spite of this, salbutamol required "a declaration of Use in accordance with the International Standard for Therapeutic Use Exemptions" under the 2010 WADA prohibited list. This requirement was relaxed when the 2011 list was published to permit the use of "salbutamol (maximum 1600 micrograms over 24 hours) and salmeterol when taken by inhalation in accordance with the manufacturers’ recommended therapeutic regimen."[27][28]

According to two small and limited studies, salbutamol increases performance on endurance exercise even for a person without asthma.[29][30][31]

Another study contradicts the above findings, however. The double blind, randomised test conducted on 12 non-asthmatic athletes concluded that salbutamol had a negligible effect on endurance performance. Nevertheless, the study also showed that the drug's bronchodilating effect may have improved respiratory adaptation at the beginning of exercise.[32]

Salbutamol has been shown to improve muscle weight in rats[33] and anecdotal reports hypothesise that it might be an alternative to clenbuterol for purposes of fat burning and muscle gain, with multiple studies supporting this claim.[34][35][36][37] Abuse of the drug may be confirmed by detection of its presence in plasma or urine, typically exceeding 1000 µg/L. The window of detection for urine testing is on the order of just 24 hours, given the relatively short elimination half-life of the drug,[38][39][40] estimated at between 5 and 6 hours following oral administration of 4 mg.[18]

Edited by Andrew Steer

Pettachi got one year and Ulissi 9 months for Salbutamol 

Agreed but SKY will have reams and reams and reams and reams of medical info and tons of cash to afford doctors and professionals who'll make a case for Chris slipping over the limit.

Agreed but US POSTALSKY will have reams and reams and reams and reams of medical info and tons of cash to afford doctors and professionals who'll make a case for Chris slipping over the limit.

like this?

AFAIK even if you suck up those whole thing you won't get an adverse finding.

the injectable version is banned if over a certain dose

symbicort-inhaler1.jpg

You sure about this? Been using Symbicort for one year now. Chronic asthma. Not that it made the slightest change in my performance :P