Chris Froome returns adverse analytical finding for Salbutamol

Andrew Steer

'The Jiffy-bag saga suggested an inability to keep track of medical records, saw them face questions over their ethical standards and left their claims of being transparent and clean looking hollow. Further bumps in the road came via Josh Edmondson, Gianni Moscon’s repugnant behaviour at the Tour de Romandie and reports that riders wanted Brailsford to stand down, but Froome’s current position threatens to overwhelm all that came before it.'

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/will-chris-froomes-salbutamol-result-sink-team-sky/?utm_content=buffer04cc0&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Apologies if reposted.

This is a follow-up article.

Edited by 'Dale

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Giro will need to ask Froome to just EFT the cashola they paid him across to Nibs... or has Nibs paid his entry already? bummer if he has... cash is gone then... hope they didn't use eWallet...

'The Jiffy-bag saga suggested an inability to keep track of medical records, saw them face questions over their ethical standards and left their claims of being transparent and clean looking hollow. Further bumps in the road came via Josh Edmondson, Gianni Moscon’s repugnant behaviour at the Tour de Romandie and reports that riders wanted Brailsford to stand down, but Froome’s current position threatens to overwhelm all that came before it.'

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/will-chris-froomes-salbutamol-result-sink-team-sky/?utm_content=buffer04cc0&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Apologies if reposted.

This is a follow-up article.

more this

J Evans an hour ago

Jeroen Swart‏ @JeroenSwart

Sports physician & Exercise scientist. MBChB, MPhil, PhD.

‘All urine samples are tested for B agonists. So taking it in competition

for performance enhancement would virtually guarantee being caught. And

if you know you're going to be tested (as Froome would) then you would

basically knowingly commit career suicide.

That said, the WADA threshold of 1000ng/ml was set so that therapeutic

doses would not exceed that limit. Based on the pharmacokinetic studies

the limit is set very high.

So based on the above I can't understand how a 4 time TDF winner

would take a substance with questionable performance benefit when

knowing he would get bust for sure. Yet at the same time the therapeutic

use doesn't make sense. Leaves many questions. Let's see how this

unfolds.’

I don’t see how any punishment that was not similar to that given to Diego Ulissi could be justified, although I’m sure that various scientists and lawyers will now be brought out to debate the pharmacokinetic study of Froome’s use.

It’s very hard to see how Sky could be this incompetent.

Cycling’s tolerance (shared with all sports, to be fair) of various drug use is always going to come back and bite it.

And why – once again – was this kept secret until newspapers found out about it? Yes, those are ‘the rules’, but why are the rules set up to keep to keep the public in the dark.

Just remembered an interesting cycling weekly article on the prevalence of asthma in cycling: 

What is the prevalence of asthma among elite sportspeople?

In terms of the research we have done, around 21 per cent of the British Olympic team were using an inhaler. It’s higher in sports with a high aerobic element such as cycling and swimming. Some reports suggest that around 40 per cent of British Olympic cyclists use an inhaler, and it’s similar in other sports that have a high ventilatory requirement.

Why such a high proportion?

Athletes are more susceptible to asthma than the general population. The reason is that when you’re exercising you’re breathing in larger volumes of air, which, if you are susceptible, increases the dose of potential triggers for an asthma response. In cycling, you increase the amount of dry air going into your airway; and out on the road there is air pollution as well. Therefore you are more likely to trigger an inflammatory response, which is likely to cause asthma symptoms. Athletes increase their exposure, so they increase the chances of developing the condition.

Why are the rules more liberal for inhaled forms of these drugs?

The reason why the inhalers don’t produce the same effect as the oral form is because you inhale the drugs directly into your lungs, where they work directly on the beta-2 adrenoreceptors in the lungs. It would require a large dose in inhaled form to be absorbed into the bloodstream and get a global effect.

How large a dose?

One or two puffs is not going to go anywhere beyond the lungs. Using salbutamol, to get anywhere near a performance-enhancing effect, you would need to take 16 puffs in one go, and that’s the upper limit permitted by WADA. The downside of such doses is that they may increase heart rate and cause tremors, so the potential benefits in muscle function you may lose in terms of increased heart rate. If you wanted to cheat, there would be far more effective ways.

The right thing for Sky to do right now would be to provisionally suspend him pending the outcome..esp after the Wiggins saga..if they want to save face now is the time.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

i liked you're old comment, the one who can shut it, is a hubber :whistling: :ph34r:

Ja.. I took it out.. didn't feel like having to justify my comments [emoji6]

But I stand by it.. he should just shut up.

Is that 1000ng/ml in your blood? Did I understand it correctly?

1microgram/ml equals 1mg/l

Meaning that if you weigh 60kg you have 60mg on board.

Ventolin mdi delivers 100 microgram/puff.

10 puffs then 1mg. So a 60 kg oke must take 600 puffs? Or 300 puffs if you use the 200ug/puff model

The wolf in the three piglets will have to huff and puff quite some time.

10 puffs then 1mg. So a 60 kg oke must take 600 puffs? Or 300 puffs if you use the 200ug/puff model

Per litre of blood not per kg of person ???? Average person has 5 litres of blood.

Per litre of blood not per kg of person Average person has 5 litres of blood.

Reading through, it looked like it was per litre of urine not blood. Unless I missed something.

Edited by Jehosefat

He must have taken all the Skyborg riders inhalers and kept them for himself ..the inhaler thief..he struck at night while the rest were snoozing..[emoji6]

Who cares...

Not suprised at all.So another rider has to give up a title.Heaven forbid,its Chris Froome.Now,we can understand if it's that AH Wiggens because we don't like him.....