Bike Hub weight loss challenge 2018

BigDL

Hmmm, the UPPER safe limit for salt intake is around 6g/d (1 1/4 teaspoon). I cannot see how adding this much salt to a diet can be healthy, especially in a group of individuals that are already grouped at at-riks (due to our weight).

Honestly, from what I've read, it's purely down to how much salt you're getting through your diet, and how much water you're consuming throughout the day. I don't know enough yet, and I haven't read enough on it to form a firm opinion on it, but if you've been following a "SAD" (standard American Diet) full of processed foods, cakes, pies and so on, and you transition to a diet that concentrates on "whole foods" (as they're called...) then you may need to supplement in order to get to the RDA / body's requirements. 

If you're drinking more water, it's also flushing some electrolytes out as well. 

But as I said - I haven't read enough just yet to form a proper opinion on it yet. And certainly don't all of a sudden gorge on 10g salt a day (in addition to the salt on / in your food)

Also - if you have an underlying metabolic / heart / cardiovascular condition, do a SHITLOAD of reading on PROPER studies (metastudies preferably, as they collate results and give a far broader picture) and consult a physician. 

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly, from what I've read, it's purely down to how much salt you're getting through your diet, and how much water you're consuming throughout the day. I don't know enough yet, and I haven't read enough on it to form a firm opinion on it, but if you've been following a "SAD" (standard American Diet) full of processed foods, cakes, pies and so on, and you transition to a diet that concentrates on "whole foods" (as they're called...) then you may need to supplement in order to get to the RDA / body's requirements. 

If you're drinking more water, it's also flushing some electrolytes out as well. 

But as I said - I haven't read enough just yet to form a proper opinion on it yet. And certainly don't all of a sudden gorge on 10g salt a day (in addition to the salt on / in your food)

Also - if you have an underlying metabolic / heart / cardiovascular condition, do a SHITLOAD of reading on PROPER studies (metastudies preferably, as they collate results and give a far broader picture) and consult a physician. 

I agree with you.

We need to keep the hidden salts in mind - once slice of bread (commercial) has around 1-1.5g of salt per slice.  That is as much as a packet of crisps. 

The typical South African diet (this is form a couple of years ago), has 5-6 times the recommended upper limit for salt intake.

There is a bit of controversy around this, but there is no lower limit for salt intake (only upper limit), and some recommendations indicate as low as 0.5g per day (there is some controversy around this).  If you eat a balanced diet without any added salt, you will be way above that limit.

One thing that there is consensus about is that there is no reason for the average/healthy person to ever try and increase/supplement their daily salt intake.

I agree with you.

We need to keep the hidden salts in mind - once slice of bread (commercial) has around 1-1.5g of salt per slice.  That is as much as a packet of crisps. 

The typical South African diet (this is form a couple of years ago), has 5-6 times the recommended upper limit for salt intake.

There is a bit of controversy around this, but there is no lower limit for salt intake (only upper limit), and some recommendations indicate as low as 0.5g per day (there is some controversy around this).  If you eat a balanced diet without any added salt, you will be way above that limit.

One thing that there is consensus about is that there is no reason for the average/healthy person to ever try and increase/supplement their daily salt intake.

Agreed, but it's this bold bit that I'm most interested in (ito the salt discussion)

It seems as if there isn't a consensus re supplementation. Or, rather, that the consensus may have been based around irregular "studies" much like the saturated fat / lchf / high carb / cholesterol studies that are being revised at the moment. Also depends highly on what you eat. 

Agreed, but it's this bold bit that I'm most interested in (ito the salt discussion)

It seems as if there isn't a consensus re supplementation. Or, rather, that the consensus may have been based around irregular "studies" much like the saturated fat / lchf / high carb / cholesterol studies that are being revised at the moment. Also depends highly on what you eat. 

Agree.

As with most of these "risk factors", there has been a bit of a shift in recent times.  It is difficult to come to a definitive answer, especially as far as dietary components are concerned (my opinion), as there are simply too many extraneous factors, and inter-individual variations.  It is also near impossible to run well controlled long-term prospective studies (event though China is doing some crazy things to their people that no other place will ever get ethical clearance for).  Most of what we know come from long-term population based studies with retrospective analysis to find correlations.  But these correlations does not indicate causality, so even if there is an association between "factors" and "risk of disease", it is impossible to really conclude anything.

Meta analysis is probably the way to go, but I don't think we are there yet.

One thing that I am confident on, is that for the average person, salt intake is way above what it should be.

My focus has always been on the diseased/"at risk" populations, but I will look into salt supplementation, as you mentioned it.  (This was big in the 50s and 60s).

this is way more complex than I would like.

little people's eating habits seriously mess with parent eating habits.

the only solution to this problem is going to be to ride more.

our little one eats mostly the same food as we do (except breastmilk and celerac)

funny enough she does not like sweet foods e.g. she'd rather eat double cream plain yogurt than low fat (sweetened) flavoured  

Little people also shouldn't be eating rubbish... just saying ;) 

My girls love their little treats - flavoured full fat yoghurts, biltong, fruit pouches, cheeses, trail mix, peanuts, popcorn etc

Get them used to these and the need for Coke, chocolates, sweets etc goes away

Our baba seems to enjoy her fruits, especially chopped up strawberries, bananas and grapes. We tried her on the Purity porridge, but she prefers Cerelac, not fussy with yoghurt though. She actually gets excited when she sees that spoon of yoghurt - she seems to feel the same about teething biscuits. She's not a fan of the apple flavoured Purity though.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Do yourself a favour and get a moka pot. FAR better than filter, significantly cheaper than an espresso machine.

Plus one frikken Billion!!

I love my Moka pot.

Pleasantly surprised by the scale this morning.

100.6kg

Sooo close to double figures now.

It's been about 10 years since I last saw that number and never since I started cycling 6 years ago.

I always had the idea that cycling doesn't help too much with losing weight, I guess it depends how much time you spend on the bike. I started cycling in 2008, and was a weekend warrior until a year later, when I started to commute to work and back, weather dependent. I got lazy and stopped riding to work and back in 2011, and became a weekend warrior again. During the time of commuting, I didn't see a difference in my weight, although that could have been due to my eating habits.

I had a taste of running from the 1st to the 9th, and I lost a few kilos, but of course I had changed my eating habits.

I was told that weight loss is 70% the foods you eat, and 30% exercise.

I always had the idea that cycling doesn't help too much with losing weight, I guess it depends how much time you spend on the bike. I started cycling in 2008, and was a weekend warrior until a year later, when I started to commute to work and back, weather dependent. I got lazy and stopped riding to work and back in 2011, and became a weekend warrior again. During the time of commuting, I didn't see a difference in my weight, although that could have been due to my eating habits.

I had a taste of running from the 1st to the 9th, and I lost a few kilos, but of course I had changed my eating habits.

I was told that weight loss is 70% the foods you eat, and 30% exercise.

Funny enough, this past year I have done the least mileage on the bike but for me it has been all about the food.

I have cut out all sugar, carbs and sweetners and added healthy fats. That's it.

My whole life I have tried to get my weight under control and finally I have found the thing that works.

Long may it continue.

Funny enough, this past year I have done the least mileage on the bike but for me it has been all about the food.

I have cut out all sugar, carbs and sweetners and added healthy fats. That's it.

My whole life I have tried to get my weight under control and finally I have found the thing that works.

Long may it continue.

Lekker man, lekker.